No Man's Sky Trailer Shows What You'll Have to Do to Survive on Alien Planets

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
No Man's Sky Trailer Shows What You'll Have to Do to Survive on Alien Planets

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1338/1338793.jpgThe newest trailer in the four-part No Man's Sky series is focused on survival.

The fourth and final video in the No Man's Sky series is here, and it focuses on what it will take to survive on harsh alien worlds. As we saw in the previous combat-focused video [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167981-New-No-Mans-Sky-Trailer-Features-Space-and-Ground-Combat], you will definitely encounter wildlife on various planets, and some of it is, or can become, hostile.

In addition to protecting yourself from indigenous life, you'll also have to make sure you're safe from the elements as well. Planets will have varying environments, so you'll need to be prepared for both extreme cold and oppressive heat. You'll also have to be on the lookout for toxins and radiation.

You can upgrade your suit to provide more protection, and the trailer includes a very brief look at the menus you'll us to do that.

No Man's Sky is coming to PS4 on August 9, and to PC on August 12 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168030-No-Mans-Sky-PC-Delayed-Three-Days].

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Silentpony said:
Looks an awful lot like Subnautica, just in space.
And to be honest, I kind of grok that. I like having the niggling sense that my choices matter on the tactical level, so my gunning for a planet with suboptimal conditions because it has the one mineral I desperately need seems like a plausible situation.

There's going to be plenty of casual and pleasant collect-a-thons, but the notion that the ecosystem is out to get me is an interesting wrinkle. Subnautica tended to stay approachable until you actually needed to use propellers or bathyspheres.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
That looks more interesting and impressive than I first assumed. Was merely preparing for exploration and basic resource gathering. Manage your expectations and disappointment becomes less of a regular occurrence. But that is hardly as entertaining now, is it? Nobody cares for the calm middle ground, therefore GlaarrrrggghhhhhhHHH what bullshit is this devil spawn that dares urinate on my seedling children??! I love it!! Aahhhheeehhhhhhhm...looks alright.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I'll get it just because it looks different than most games out there and it's a space exploration game so that's always a plus. And it does seem to offer a lot more than I initially thought it would.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
The way the trailer's presented, I almost get the image of the player character just getting ragdolled from one hazardous doom situation to the other, with mounting stress and terror as the computer nags him incessantly, until in the very last shot he just announces 'Nopenopenope, I'M OUT' and flees into space. xP With a sharp sigh of relief that says 'Well, that was exceptionally unpleasant.'

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Is it going to be a perma-death kind of game? When you die you start again? If so, I'd be a bit more keen :)

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
chozo_hybrid said:
Is it going to be a perma-death kind of game? When you die you start again? If so, I'd be a bit more keen :)
It's kind of in the air what the penalties for death are going to be. Very early interviews suggested that if your ship was destroyed, you ended up on a planet or station with just a bare-boned 'escape pod' vessel you had to build back up from scratch, more or less, as if you were beginning the game anew. (Presumably you'd retain blueprints though, so you'd just have to scavenge the materials to build all your ship's tech again.) Later videos show, basically, a 'save station' but WHAT it saves and what it doesn't is very much 'Idunno.' It might be a literal 'respawn here when you die,' or it could just save stuff like blueprints, meaning you still lose all your ship upgrades and cargo if it gets blown up. Dying on the planet, I believe, respawns you at your ship, though perhaps not with any materials or items you found after you landed.

A full on permadeath hasn't been confirmed, though you could presumably delete the save file every time you die. x3

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
chozo_hybrid said:
I could be wrong, but I think it's Dark Souls-ish. You die, all the resources in your backpack remain and your currency stays the same. I doubt there'd be something like Souls or Blood Echoes to recover.

That said, a Hardcore mode could very well be just one toggle away. Lose your ship or die and it's Game Over man, Game Over.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
Dr. McD said:
SeventhSigil said:
The way the trailer's presented, I almost get the image of the player character just getting ragdolled from one hazardous doom situation to the other, with mounting stress and terror as the computer nags him incessantly, until in the very last shot he just announces 'Nopenopenope, I'M OUT' and flees into space. xP With a sharp sigh of relief that says 'Well, that was exceptionally unpleasant.'
To be honest I got that impression as well, and I'm actually exited because of it. Survival at least will be a challenge. I don't have anything against relaxing exploration but I need something to do.

TL'DR: I am the presidump now, and at last I control of the country's nukes so I can paint it orange, evil laugh.
Indeed! Looking forward to it; even elements of combat contain survival-related perils. The shield that protects your suit, and presumably fleshy body, doesn't simply auto-regenerate ala Halo, you actually need to keep it charged with resources. Weapon needs resources to be recharged with resources to keep firing, so if you run out of blowitupium, you're presumably reduced to flinging harsh words at the enemy til you can find some more. =P