No matter how open-minded...

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
...you try to be, there's always that one thing you can't wrap your head around.

For me, it's people who aren't moved by music, people who are fine with listening to the radio or club music because it's easy to dance to or it's simple, people who don't go looking for music that inspires them or brings out all manner of emotion/feeling to the surface (be it joy, excitement, anger, passion etc). These are the things I can't accept/understand, no matter how wide I open my mind.

So what's your one thing that you can't grasp?

Evil Top Hat

May 21, 2011
I don't understand people that commit crime. I can't wrap my head around how somebody can be so immature that they don't develop a sense of responsibility or empathy for other people by the time they reach adulthood. Spur of the moment reactions are just down to willpower, or lack thereof, but commiting a planned and organised crime with a clear thought process behind that exists for nothing other than personal gain is an action I will never understand.

There's probably a lot more things I could list, but off the top of my head, it's this sort of behaviour that makes me go into a kind of irrational rage.

We're all biased, at the end of the day. None of us really know a single thing about the world we live in for what it truly is, because every detail of it is skewed abd distorted by our own personal mindset, wants, hopes, fears, values and opinions, whether we know it or not. True open mindedness doesn't exist.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
I think I can understand most people's motives, even if I don't share them. But I will never understand people who deny themselves happiness in some way.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
For fucks sake- if a post is this early in a 600 post thread chances are your counterpoint has already been made, so please save yourself the goddamn effort.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
Togs said:
The religious, I dont get how people can overlook the barbarity and outmoded moral concepts thats rife throughout religion. I dont get how these people can then say they hold the moral high ground, that as an atheist Im spiritually dead and morally suspect.
If Im totally honest it makes me very angry.
I agree with what you're saying and see where you're cong from, being a very opinionated atheist as well, but even I have to admit to understanding that some people have faith simply as a comfort. Although I also see that as a huge weakness.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Togs said:
The religious, I dont get how people can overlook the barbarity and outmoded moral concepts thats rife throughout religion. I dont get how these people can then say they hold the moral high ground, that as an atheist Im spiritually dead and morally suspect.
Yeeeep. Religion and drugs for me.

Since religion was covered...drugs. I definitely want to risk permanent damage so that I can black out and wake up feeling like shit in some strange place. Sounds like a good time to me.

Ghonesis

Feb 15, 2011
I don't worry too much about what others think: we're all different.
Some things piss me off, though, at times. -_-
Stereotyping things/people is an important one.

CrashBang said:
Togs said:
I agree with what you're saying and see where you're cong from, being a very opinionated atheist as well, but even I have to admit to understanding that some people have faith simply as a comfort. Although I also see that as a huge weakness.
Also, I agree with this. Religion gives that comfort some people need. And if you're strong, you don't need that comfort.

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Crime. Try as I might, I cannot think how people can purposely hurt their fellow man and not feel bad about it.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Arkvoodle said:
The Ponies.
You might want to expand on that so you don't get hit with a low content warning.

OT: For me, it's rap and hip hop. I can't get how people can honestly like that stuff.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
For the life of me, I'll never understand people who see 2001: A Space Odyssey as THE greatest movie of all time.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
People who dye their hair.

I can handle nose rings, nipple piercings, earrings, belly-button rings, and tattoos, but dying your hair, or altering any aspect of your body that you were born with just doesn't feel right.

Same with any cosmetic surgery.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
Rudeness/meanness. I just don't get the point in making someone else angry/sad/upset.

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
Deliberate acts of unbridled rage, fury, or anger with the intent to harm others. I honestly don't understand why it's so difficult to like other people, and for no gain other than a cheeky laugh or two. I also don't really understand greed, or money in general. I can understand that in order to live long and healthy lives, one needs to have a decent amount of money. But what I don't understand is why people want to horde it. Why do people want money? It's already been scientifically proven that money does not increase overall happiness, and the nice things that we can buy with money we eventually become habituated (used) to. And the only thing greed ever accomplishes is giving the miser a negative impression.

If someone could explain the importance of greed to me, I'd happily listen.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Being open-minded doesn't mean that you can comprehend everything, it just means that you don't shut things out. If you don't understand why somebody does something that doesn't make you close-minded. You're close-minded if you refuse to give the subject or their reasoning any consideration.

I'll also add that being open-minded doesn't mean agreeing with everything. I understand that desperation can lead someone to do stupid things, but that doesn't mean I automatically excuse someone for doing this.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Pretty much people who like fanarts of a fat (obese) or muscular version of frictional character (anime or cartoon).
Ok, if it's people who like photo of real life fat/ muscular person then that is not my place to judge but in this case, why did someone draw fanart or liked that anime/ cartoon character to be fatter or muscular at all?

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Togs said:
Yeeeep. Religion and drugs for me.

Since religion was covered...drugs. I definitely want to risk permanent damage so that I can black out and wake up feeling like shit in some strange place. Sounds like a good time to me.
Drugs is a very wide term, and I do not think you know very much about them.
Read up on them, and you might understand.
Nimcha said:
I think I can understand most people's motives, even if I don't share them. But I will never understand people who deny themselves happiness in some way.
I feel the same way myself.
I can often see other peoples motivations even though I may not agree with them.

OT:
Religion.
I understand how it might be comforting or give one purpose in life.
What I don't understand is how they can't believe in it.
I find it quite absurd.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
People who are dicks to others, specifically towards people with religions. They have a religion, get over it. Or just dicks in general, as why they need to be a dick I don't see a proper motive at all. No matter how made I am or upset I can't take it out on someone. No matter how stupid or ignorant someone is I bite my tongue. Maybe mommy and daddy just taught me good manners.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
People that believe things like "Everything happens for a reason" or basically faith in something with not a shred of evidence. Its stupid and my family members go on about it all the time.
Faith is stupid. Why would you believe in anything without evidence? Also for religion why would you let it rule your life without having evidence?