No More Heroes 3 Will be on "Wii 2"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
No More Heroes 3 Will be on "Wii 2"

Auteur game designer Suda51 says that No More Heroes 2 will be the last game in the series on the Nintendo Wii - but that he would like to do another game in the series on a new Nintendo console.

told Edge [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93110-No-More-Heroes-Will-Move-To-New-Platforms] during a preview of No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle that he was looking to move beyond Nintendo's Wii for future games in the series. Despite the Wii being far and away the most popular console this generation, hardware limitations (and an unusual install base) make it difficult for more "hardcore" third-party games to do well.

"I really want to make NMH a big franchise, and with this second episode have bigger success. I'm putting a lot of care into developing this IP, as I feel there's a lot of potential," he said. To expand the franchise, though, Suda added that he didn't think the games could stay on the Wii: "I think this is the last NMH that is going to be developed on Wii ... To expand NMH to new possibilities, we need a new platform. Wii is a great platform, but we've done everything we can with it now."

Does this mean that Suda and Grasshopper Manufacture will be jumping ship to take advantage of other motion control technology such as Project Natal or Sony's ball-on-a-stick wand? Not necessarily - Suda clarified his remarks [http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=1&cId=3176118] to 1UP:

[blockquote]Actually, I answered differently, and it may have been misinterpreted. What I wanted to say was, looking at the Wii, I think No More Heroes 2 will probably be the last iteration for this current platform. But there's probably going to be a "Wii 2" or other next-gen system from Nintendo at some point, so I was saying that I would want to do another game in the series on the next Nintendo platform.

I want to continue the No More Heroes series, but I've finished the story for [NMH protagonist] Travis. It's completely finished in No More Heroes 2. So I want to think of a different story -- a different character, or something like that within the series -- starting on the next Nintendo platform.[/blockquote]

So there you have it. Suda51 wants to do a game on the Wii 2, but it won't star Travis Touchdown. When jokingly asked if it would be a "No More Heroes Solid" situation, though, he laughed in denial - Hideo Kojima would get mad at him.

(Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/22/no-more-heroes-2-is-last-installment-on-wii-next-game-on-new-ni/])

hansari

May 31, 2009
Is their even an official date for Nintendo's next console? I mean, he has to have some idea of it. I find it hard to believe the guy would just sit there and wait without knowing...

(I guess we should expect something around the time Natal is released...)

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
No offense but No more Heroes didn't seem good enough to warrent a second game let alone a third, maybe I'm just not into the whole Wii casual gaming thing, I sold mine for rent.

iron codpiece

Mar 17, 2009
If only I hadn't sold my wii then I could play one of the two games that I liked Metroid Prime and No More Heroes.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
Congratulations Wii owners.
Another collection of tedious minigames that will stop.

Heh, you really do take digs at that game at every turn don't you? Did someone say ass-pained?

I don't really have much to say about this for now though, I mean 2 isn't even out yet. However I do understand why people thought it was coming to the 360, it was originally pegged for it.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
The 360 isn't powerful enough to properly run a game like No More Heroes and the few people who own them have poor taste in games. This news doesn't surprise me, he has to make money at the end of the day.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
cool, sounds they're really planning ahead if they already know what they want to do on the next Nintendo console (I doubt it will be called the 'Wii 2', really)

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
They also have a tradition of having a code name that is much better than the final name.

Reality -> N64
Dolphin -> GameCube
Revolution -> Wii

If you hear a really cool code name for the next console it will probably end up being called the MiniPoopBox or something.

Jabbawocky

Sep 3, 2008
More Fun To Compute said:
They also have a tradition of having a code name that is much better than the final name.

Reality -> N64
Dolphin -> GameCube
Revolution -> Wii

If you hear a really cool code name for the next console it will probably end up being called the MiniPoopBox or something.
I thought the 64 was known as Ultra before its name change?

Either way I though due to the recession all the companies were going to extend their console's shelf-life a few more years.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Jabbawocky said:
I thought the 64 was known as Ultra before its name change?

Either way I though due to the recession all the companies were going to extend their console's shelf-life a few more years.
Ultra64 was a marketing name that they dropped but the code name for the system was project reality.

It is said that Microsoft and Sony have to extend the life of their consoles longer than normal because they are both massive failures (j/k) but the same logic does not apply to Nintendo. If the marketing hype about the Wii is falling off then it makes perfect sense for them to release new hardware in the next few years.

ThePeaceFrog

Oct 18, 2008
Nintendo will drag out the Wii for as long as possible, why bother releasing a piece of hardware that in reality only has its last iteration to compete with?

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
hansari said:
Is their even an official date for Nintendo's next console? I mean, he has to have some idea of it. I find it hard to believe the guy would just sit there and wait without knowing...
It's Suda 51, he'll do what the hell he wants. I bet he'll make something else in the meantime though.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
GonzoGamer said:

Heh, you really do take digs at that game at every turn don't you? Did someone say ass-pained?
Yea. I take my shots at it every time it comes up mostly because I would like to get back at it but I can't because it's just a game. At least I feel better.
One good thing that came from my purchase of No More Heroes though, I started renting again.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
"All in favor of calling the new console the 'Nintendo Pewp'?"
"Aye."
"Aye."
"Aye."

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
GonzoGamer said:

Yea. I take my shots at it every time it comes up mostly because I would like to get back at it but I can't because it's just a game. At least I feel better.
One good thing that came from my purchase of No More Heroes though, I started renting again.
*sigh* such disdain for such a good game, it will consume you someday...CONSUME YOU! *runs before the de-rail express hits the thread*

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
GonzoGamer said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
GonzoGamer said:

*sigh* such disdain for such a good game, it will consume you someday...CONSUME YOU! *runs before the de-rail express hits the thread*
If it hasn't happened yet, I'll probably be okay.
The closest it came to that was after playing through half the game (around the point you get to the boss battle that ends up just being a cutscene) and I felt like dousing myself and my wii in kerosene and immolating us both.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Congratulations Wii owners. This is a sign that Nintendo is already planning a new console. So start saving up!

And can this guy please work on NMH2 before thinking of the threequal?