Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
This franchise singlehandedly justified my wii purchase so I'm always in for more. Lets hope it can do the same for my switch purchase. Though SMT5 will lend it a hand in that for sure haha.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Dreiko I bought a Switch, because I knew most of the games I owned would either be ported there, or on other next gen consoles. When I first got my Switch, the two (technically three) games I got were Bayonetta 2 (came with the Bayo1 download code) and Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition. Then I got DK Tropical Freeze, used, a couple weeks later.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
@Dreiko I bought a Switch, because I knew most of the games I owned would either be ported there, or on other next gen consoles. When I first got my Switch, the two (technically three) games I got were Bayonetta 2 (came with the Bayo1 download code) and Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition. Then I got DK Tropical Freeze, used, a couple weeks later.
Octopath Traveler is also worth checking out. Really fun orthodox Jrpg with sprite graphics. And Astral Chain which is made by Platinum. Cute cop girl with cybernetic dog is very 90s anime and I love it XD.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Astral Chain which is made by Platinum. Cute cop girl with cybernetic dog is very 90s anime and I love it XD.
Already got it. The other game, I know of its good reputation, but turn based RPGs don't much for me. Thanks for the recommendation.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
How is the DK game? I used to love DK country on the SNES

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
How is the DK game? I used to love DK country on the SNES
It's best the DKC game since 1 & 2. I find it the best and most fun of the DK franchise. With addition of the an extra mode for accessibility, the Switch version is the definitive edition that is a must buy.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Henry's back again with a new look. So is Kimmy Howel and Destroyman (for a third time!). How many lives does this guy have?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
the training mini-games from 2 and make the games actually fun to play.
Most of the job mini games in 2 I love. Way more enjoyable than the mini games from 1. Except for the scorpion mini game. It's somehow worse in 2 than 1. The training mini games were okay, but could get tedious when maxing out the stats. Especially the one where you had to punch the weights Ryan threw at you. Got really annoying in the last two training sessions.

I know from the new trailer, they are bringing back entry fees for III. UUUUGGGGGHHHH!

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Hmmm, I still need to get around to playing NMH2. It's been sitting on my shelf for years, maybe I should actually play it one day.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Yay, we'll be able to mod out the entry fees from 1 and the training mini-games from 2 and make the games actually fun to play.
Dude, no. The odd jobs in No More Heroes 1 are thematically important to the game. Personally, I found them mechanically inoffensive too, they have comedic presentation and you only have to do each one of them once, but the games entire point would be lost if you removed them. Like that whole idea that those over the top gladiator battles are sort of like an expensive hobby for what are mostly eccentric rich people, criminals and freaks who spend more money on it than they get out of it. Which kind of ties into it being a satire of the American Dream which dangles that goal of wealth and fame in front of you and expects you to literally put your life on line for it. And, you know, in the end turns out that the entire operation was just a pyramid scheme set up by a rich european couples that spends the entry fees you pay on vacations in Ibiza and Yoga classes and whatnot while Travis, even after rising all the way to the first rank, is still stuck livingein a shitty motel.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Dude, no. The odd jobs in No More Heroes 1 are thematically important to the game. Personally, I found them mechanically inoffensive too, they have comedic presentation and you only have to do each one of them once, but the games entire point would be lost if you removed them. Like that whole idea that those over the top gladiator battles are sort of like an expensive hobby for what are mostly eccentric rich people, criminals and freaks who spend more money on it than they get out of it. Which kind of ties into it being a satire of the American Dream which dangles that goal of wealth and fame in front of you and expects you to literally put your life on line for it. And, you know, in the end turns out that the entire operation was just a pyramid scheme set up by a rich european couples that spends the entry fees you pay on vacations in Ibiza and Yoga classes and whatnot while Travis, even after rising all the way to the first rank, is still stuck livingein a shitty motel.
I understand and appreciate that it has thematic story significance.

Please understand and appreciate that it's incredibly unfun to do and completely ruins any replay value that game has.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Please understand and appreciate that it's incredibly unfun to do and completely ruins any replay value that game has.
You are not wrong there. I've only played the NMH1 three times. Last time I played it was around 2009. I used NG+ for the rest of playthroughs to make the grind way less tedious, but I just don't have the paietence nor time anymore for the entry fees. It's why I tend to enjoy 2 a bit more.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Tree House Demo from last week!

The gameplay is looking great in terms of combat and visuals. I am not frame rate junkie, but they need to fix the that on the open world section. It looks rough and probably why they did not showcase much of it. I really hope they don't do entry fees again. I did not miss the open world i and was glad it was axed the 2nd game. Travis is a treat as always and it's nice see how much he has changed.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There are more details on the open world. Interesting...there will be 5 distinct areas.

Some extra game footage.

EDIT: For some reason Dark Step is now called Emergency Evade.

Other news...

Last edited: