No More Heroes Ports Won't Use Motion Control

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
No More Heroes Ports Won't Use Motion Control

The ports of Wii game No More Heroes won't take advantage of either the upcoming motion controls for either the 360 or the PS3.

In an interview with Edge, Marvelous Entertainment chief Yasuhiro Wada said that No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise is still being developed, despite Ubisoft stating that they will not publish the game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96280-Ubisoft-Passes-on-No-More-Heroes-Remake]. Feedplus Entertainment is porting the Wii title to the HD consoles, and is starting from scratch with many models to improve the graphics. Wada said that the port will not utilize "uncommon new technology" involving motion control on the Xbox 360 or PS3.

Controlling the sword-wielding character in No More Heores with the Wii Remote was a big part of game's appeal. When asked whether Heroes Paradise will make use of Natal on the Xbox 360, however, Wada confirmed that only the analog controller will be used. "Since the concept for the remake is to bring the game to a wider audience, we aren't currently considering to use uncommon new technology. Basically everything will be controlled using the analog controller," he said. "We are reworking the control scheme to improve the sense of being in the game."

As to whether or not the decision to port No More Heroes was because of poor sales on the Wii, Wada said, "I am satisfied with the sales of the Wii version to a point, but I don't think that it really proves the limits of Wii. Monster Hunter Tri is selling well on the Wii after all, but we just are not able to create that kind of content at the moment. To be clear, I'm not admitting defeat. I am constantly striving to ever make better games."

When asked about Ubi deciding not to publish the port, Wada appeared to dodge the question by saying, "I think what Ubi announced was that it intends to focus on promoting [the sequel] No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle." Wada did not state if he had found a publisher for Heroes Paradise outside of Japan.

Source: Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/features/interview-yasuhiro-wada-0?page=0,0]

Phokal

Oct 12, 2009
I *really* want this to come out on the 360 in the US/rest of the world. The first game seemed quite fun for the couple levels I played it, but it was hard to look at on a high def TV. Something just looked bad about it. But looking at the still Wii screenshots, it could look amazing. An HD Port would be perfect for me.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
[HEADING=2]No More Heroes Ports Won't Use Motion Control[/HEADING]
Thank goodness! Honestly, I would not buy this game for the Xbox 360 if I had to use motion controls. It's quite a relief to hear this :D

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
So a buisness wants to make money by bringing their product to a wider audience?

REVOLT FANBOYS! CLEARLY HE IS BETRAYING THE GAME RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE/sarcasm

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
Providing that they:
a) keep in English Voice acting
b) make it region free on 360

I'll be a happy bunny. Preferably, it'd get a publisher in Europe, but I'm expecting the worst.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
So a buisness wants to make money by bringing their product to a wider audience?

REVOLT FANBOYS! CLEARLY HE IS BETRAYING THE GAME RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE/sarcasm
I'm more amused by the people who are suddenly interested in buying a game based on features being removed. Oh man, they removed the jump button from Mario now they have ported it to NGage, which coincidentally happens to be the only gaming platform I own. Finally a version of Mario that will not suck!

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
Well then the game will suck. What's happened here is that the remote/nunchuk functionality is used to mask how terribly shallow the fighting system is. So shallow, that it is quite possible to win half the fights in the game by -- get this -- turning your back on the TV and mashing the A button while vigorously shaking the remote in random directions. There's essentially only one slash and one kick, and the gimmick is that when an enemy is near death you get a prompt to "slash" with the remote in a specific direction to finish them off, though it usually doesn't matter in which direction you slash -- nine times out of ten the game will register a hit regardless of direction. And the various wrestling moves you acquire (which you are prompted to use once you've stunned an enemy with a kick) are yet another smokescreen, since all they do is add variety to the finishing moves, but not to the actual fighting.

Without the waggle gimmick every will realize this along with the boring environments.

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
As much as I want this game to succeed, I am frustrated by this. NMH was one of the few 3rd party Wii games that genuinely understood how to make motion controls work. It wasn't the game's most important feature, but I have a feeling that the quality of the game will take a bit of a dive.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
BaldursBananaSoap said:
So shallow, that it is quite possible to win half the fights in the game by -- get this -- turning your back on the TV and mashing the A button while vigorously shaking the remote in random directions.
I can get through a lot of fights in games like God of War and Soul Calibur by button mashing as well. Is your problem primarily that you don't have enough buttons to mash or that sometimes you have to wave your hands around?

Many of the fights in No More Heroes are not so easy.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
So now players will just have to mash a button?
That's going to make the combat even more tedious.
And even with motion controls, gas pumping and lawn mowing minigames were sleep inducing. Can they really make them worse? I guess they're going to try.

I really didn't think there was going to be a way to make this game any worse than it is already. Why do I keep overestimating these crack-heads.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
More Fun To Compute said:
BaldursBananaSoap said:
So shallow, that it is quite possible to win half the fights in the game by -- get this -- turning your back on the TV and mashing the A button while vigorously shaking the remote in random directions.
I can get through a lot of fights in games like God of War and Soul Calibur by button mashing as well. Is your problem primarily that you don't have enough buttons to mash or that sometimes you have to wave your hands around?

Many of the fights in No More Heroes are not so easy.
Exactly this. Particularly if, like me, your room is set up in such a way that the Wii's sensor bar is unavoidably blocked at some point. Instead of having theoretical 180 degree coverage, I've got about 120 degress which is nowhere near enough to make NMH playable. Even so, that game is still the only reason that I haven't got rid of the Wii yet (in fact, as of this past Saturday it's now the only Wii game I've got), so bringing it to the 360 in Europe will be very useful for me.

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
Feedplus Entertainment is porting the Wii title to the HD consoles, and is starting from scratch with many models to improve the graphics.
Then this confirms my suspicions: Suda51 has absolutely nothing to do with this port.

And I'm pretty sure removing the motion controls from No More Heroes will make it less fun overall. The actual motions were subtle, but they were definitely needed in order to keep the combat engaging for the entire length of the game. Replace those motions with button presses and analog-stick flicks, and I'd wager you'd come out with an experience that's more shallow than simple.

Err, in after GonzoGamer?

ShoryukenDude

Mar 24, 2009
Yep. I havent been paying nearly enough attention to gaming sites lately.

I really hope they find a publisher. No More Heroes was my favorite game on the Wii, and while combat may fail horribly with analogs and buttons, that wasn't the reason I loved the game. I much prefered the personality that the game and its characters had. I dont know how a port can kill that. Other than new voice actors..........

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Mr. Fister said:
Feedplus Entertainment is porting the Wii title to the HD consoles, and is starting from scratch with many models to improve the graphics.
Then this confirms my suspicions: Suda51 has absolutely nothing to do with this port.
That's what I thought as well. I'm pretty sure the game looked the way it did on purpose. "Improving" the graphics takes away one of the many "artistic flourishes" Suda 51 put into the game... (and the lack of motion controls takes away another).

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
What? I can't use motion controls on a game ported to a console that didn't have motion controls in the first place?!

IT'S MADNESS!!!!

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
Motion control or not, I'm still getting this. I've wanted this game ever since I've seen gameplay footage.