No More Movie Games for EA

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
No More Movie Games for EA

"The movie game business is falling apart," according to EA Games [http://www.ea.com] President Frank Gibeau, who said the publisher would rather focus on quality original games because licensed titles just aren't worth the resources required to make them.

It's almost inevitable: Blockbuster movie leads to terrible, half-baked videogame. No matter how many times a cheap tie-in game bombs terribly, publishers keep cranking them out, hoping that the weight of a big license will be enough to generate big sales. But you can count EA out, Gibeau told Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/features/1065/A-Frank-discussion-with-EA], because "the days of licensed-based, 75-rated games copies are dead like the dinosaur."

Gibeau said EA was in a rough state when he took over in 2008, with a lot of unhealthy franchises and too many low-quality games being published. Part of his strategy to turn things around involved giving studios enough time to build good games, the freedom to take creative risks and the end of licensed games that didn't offer enough of either, like the James Bond franchise.

"We dumped that license because we felt like we needed to own more intellectual property, and we don't like where James Bond is going with all the creative limitations on it," he explained. "The percentage royalties you have to pay the licensors are going the wrong way for publishers. The margins are being squeezed. And, to top it all off, the movie-game business is falling apart."

"Considering the total amount of money we have to spend on those types of James Bond games, and the total amount of man-hours we had to put into them, we thought, hell, let's work on our own IP. The guys who made James Bond games for us, well yeah, they went on and made Dead Space 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-Playstation-3/dp/B000X1TC0U/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1291061237&sr=1-1]?"

He admitted that sometimes those creative risks don't quite pay off, such as with Mirror's Edge [http://www.amazon.com/Mirrors-Edge-Pc/dp/B00198ZHC8/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1291061281&sr=1-3], which he said suffered from "issues with the learning curve, the difficulty, the narrative" and a lack of multiplayer, and to a lesser extent Dead Space, which was a money-maker but still "didn't hit expectations." That doesn't mean that EA is pulling the plug, however.

"One thing I will say is that we won't give up on those IPs," Gibeau said. "A new idea obviously has a lot of risk attached to it, but if you get it all right it can be huge."

In that vein, Dead Space 2 is currently scheduled for release on January 25 for the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360, while a Mirror's Edge sequel is presumed but hasn't been officially announced.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Well, I honestly don't remember the last time I purchased a movie tie in game. So they finally sealed that oozing wound. Good for them.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Bout time they stop focussing on movie games... I feel like they're usually just cheap knock offs... But that's kinda what you get when you try to turn a 2 hour movie into an 8-9 hour game

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
Yeah - why is it that Mirror's Edge doesn't get a sequel when something like Dead Space does?
I'm with you, a bit more polished a Mirror's Edge would have been awesome, also if they didn't force you into gunplay in the last few missions.

May 23, 2010
sheic99 said:
Yeah - why is it that Mirror's Edge doesn't get a sequel when something like Dead Space does?
I'm with you, a bit more polished a Mirror's Edge would have been awesome, also if they didn't force you into gunplay in the last few missions.
Agreed - I'd like to see an RTS (city) vs FPS (runners) in a sort of zombie master type game. Also, I love your avatar.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
What!!
EA learns not to farm movie game and Bobby Kotick learns what is PR.
Farmvilla is no long the most used app on Facebook.

Is the brighter day of gaming coming?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Gee, took them that long to figure it out?
It's not like this is a new issue; even (ex-magazine) EGM lost an advertising partner back in the NES days because they panned Total Recall.

The economic allure of making these cheap corporate cash-in games is obvious; brand recognition alone attracts marks customers so you don't have to put in much effort to move the product. Maximize profit, minimize production costs.

This process has lead to disaster before. Remember the collapse of the Atari 2600? Mostly due to shovelware. People have once again begun to realize that these shovelware titles are shit, only this time, we have a solid lineup of AAA money-makers to keep the Publishers afloat.

EA grew into the overbloated monstrocity it is today by eating developers whole (in exclusivity contracts) and shitting them out years later ("EA Games, Swallow Everything"). I'm glad to see them finally realizing that might not be the winning business model, for both them and gamers.

So, uh, hurray?

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
God I want a Mirror's Edge sequel. What that game lacked in execution, it justified with new ideas. It had a thousand times more soul than any movie-based game.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Not really, it just means the wound is there for another infection. Someone will make a new generation of Tie-in shit.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
In want more Mirror's Edge - with less hacking in the online time trials, and a head-2-head race mode, perhaps with some sort of co-op mode as well - look at what Portal 2 is hinting at, then make it free-running instead of physics puzzles... maybe...

But yeah, more Mirror's Edge [and Faith ;)]please!

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
sheic99 said:
You weren't forced, you were encouraged... at gunpoint.

I was able to get through the game without firing a gun. It was really tough toward the end, but rewarding as hell when I finally disarmed and beat down that machinegun toting bastard at the end of a long, narrow hallway. Bastard.