No More Movie Games for EA

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Thats the president of EA? He looks so mild mannered, not exactly someone you would expect at the helm of a corporate giant.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
katsumoto03 said:
Ten points for Gryffend- I mean... EA!
Harry Potter games where the best movie games probably, mostly because the early ones ignored the movies for the biggest part.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
Yeah - why is it that Mirror's Edge doesn't get a sequel when something like Dead Space does?
mirror's edge took 8 years to make. That makes it Dice's dream game. since it didnt work out I guss their dreams were crushed, and a sequal would take more time. A race mode would have been nice though.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
It is a more level-headed approach to game development. I'm glad the movie games are dying. Note what happened when batman games stopped being movie merchandise and became games in their own right-- Arkham Asylum was one of the most heavily touted games of last year. I never played it, batman isn't really my thing, but it wasn't a scripted walk through of the movie.

Win win.

Yeah - why is it that Mirror's Edge doesn't get a sequel when something like Dead Space does?
Excellent question, but its rather apparent the game didn't quite come out the way they had hoped. They will probably approach it in a more measured way and will announce the sequel when they figure out what the hell they want to do with the concept.

Apr 28, 2008
EA is saying this?

Am I in the Twilight Zone?

Well either way, I agree. Now please make another Mirror's Edge. And leave out the crappy gunplay and focus on the running/story this time.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Well it seems that the movie games industry *puts on sunglasses* has just been cut
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Wow, they finally figured it out. It only took them, what? TWENTY FUCKING YEARS!!!

Well, I guess it is partially our fault. It took us about that long to, collectively, learn that movie tie-in games almost always suck and stop buying them.

Bravo, EA. And bravo, consumers.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
The Wykydtron said:
Well it seems that the movie games industry *puts on sunglasses* has just been cut
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
http://yeahbutton.com/

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
Ekonk said:
katsumoto03 said:
Harry Potter games where the best movie games probably, mostly because the early ones ignored the movies for the biggest part.
Yeah, I really enjoyed the first two as a kid.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Pretty sure the last 'original' game they made was Mirror's Edge. Hopefully an improved version of that will be next.

Seriin

Jun 4, 2009
Did EA really make that many movie tie-in games, though? If THQ, Activision and Atari come up and makes a similar claim then we might actually be rid of the crappy genre entirely.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Did EA's heart just grow six sizes? What the fuck is going on? If you had told me ten years ago EA would become nice while Activision would become dicks I would have told you to go smoke your crack elsewhere... What's next? Cat's and Dogs living together?

THIS IS MADNESS I SAY!!! MADNESS!!!

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
zombie711 said:
mirror's edge took 8 years to make. That makes it Dice's dream game.
I'm sure you either misspelt or misread 8 months considering the game was announced and released within a year.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Ekonk said:
katsumoto03 said:
True, heck the first Harry Potter game for the Gameboy Advance was pretty good. It was fucking hard, but still good.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Agreed - I'd like to see an RTS (city) vs FPS (runners) in a sort of zombie master type game. Also, I love your avatar.
I'm with this

though I always fancied the idea of a Mirror's Edge that still was all about runners and shit (as in, their side, instead of runners and cops)

making First Person (Mirror's Edge styled) for runners jumping from rooftop to rooftop, and Hitman stealth styled for, well, other messengers =P

sure, not as slow as the actual hitman games for those guys, but you know, just to mix it up a bit, that would be pimp, in my opinion

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
can we also get confirmation that they're killing plans for Game Movies? because even as a huge ME fan, I really don't want a movie to come out and ruin it.

Jaser

Mar 30, 2010
It's about damn time they learned their lesson. If they ever try to make a game based off of a pre-existing franchise they didn't make again, PLEASE let them take a lesson from Arkham Asylum. It was a great game that fit in perfectly with Batman, had an above-average story, and good, flowing gameplay. And here's hoping for a Mirror's Edge sequel, I think that game was under-rated.

Also, I'd like confirmation that Hollywood will stop making Game Movies. I effin' HATE those. I mean, they're probably bigger cash-cows than the games themselves!

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
EA is getting better at this while Activision is wallowing in their own ego. what is happening to the industry?