No New Game Modes for Rainbow Six Siege

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
No New Game Modes for Rainbow Six Siege

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1379/1379248.png
Creative director Xavier Marquis says that instead of new game modes, Rainbow Six Siege will be adding many new operators.

Going off the announcement that PC Gamer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168884-Ubisoft-No-More-Game-Experience-Affecting-DLC], Creative director Xavier Marquis says that the team has moved away from that, and is instead working on releasing new maps and operators.

Brand director Alexandre Remy explained: "We concluded that there are some foundations to Siege that we want to keep: attack versus defense, destruction, operators, and [only having] one life. That is the DNA of the game, so when you look at what game modes would sufficiently refresh the experience but remain faithful to those rules, there's not that many. Siege is its own game mode."

In the coming year, Remy says that eight new operators, and four new maps, will be added to the game. The maps will of course be free, but the operators will be paid DLC. But he's not just stopping there, as he hopes the game will see at least 50 operators total in the coming years, with aspirations for up to 100.

[gallery=6904]

As for keeping those hundred operators unique? "That was one of the questions that was asked by management here, weren't we going to be doing the same operators over and over again?" Remy said. "But the idea is that you actually want enough operators so that each pick you have a choice. Thermite for a long time was not a choice, everyone had to pick him in a team because he was the only one who could breach into a reinforced wall. Introducing Hibana, all of a sudden the player could perform that task with a choice. At that moment every choice is tough choice for the player and not an obvious one. To come to that moment, you need a minimum of 50. When we have 50, that'll be when the game is at its peak in terms of strategy."

He drew a comparison to MOBAS such as League of Legends or DoTA 2 which have up to 100 characters and still work.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/why-rainbow-six-siege-wont-have-new-game-modes-aims-for-50-100-operators-instead/]

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Eh, I'm pretty alright with that. It would be really hard to do other game types that are not basically repeats with tiny tweaks that would still stick with the "spirit" of the game.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Not really buying that they can't come up with ANY new gamemodes. Siege is basically, if we go really extreme with the simplification, just Counter-Strike Hostage Rescue. And Counter-Strike came up with new modes on the idea of "one life, attack VS defense" and the most played one (Defuse) didn't even exist in the release of the first beta.
So, that's for example one mode they could have, a form of defuse. Doesn't have to be with a bomb, they could have it with hacking a computer (so that it still makes sense that you can even as the defense blow the location to kingdom come and still win). The operators and the destroyable envoirement aren't anything that really prevents anything in terms of mechanics.

And while I don't buy that they need at least 50 to give choice while not making specific single characters a must-pick, I at least get where they're coming from in this regard and I do, to some degree, agree with the comparision with Mobas because I would say that the game is, due to the operators, at least a bit moba-esque. Not full on, but that's some resemblence to it so while it might not be flawless (due both sides in the given two examples also being identical in gameplay and you're not restricted to specific heroes on each team), it's acceptable enough for this argument.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Bindal said:
Not really buying that they can't come up with ANY new gamemodes. Siege is basically, if we go really extreme with the simplification, just Counter-Strike Hostage Rescue. And Counter-Strike came up with new modes on the idea of "one life, attack VS defense" and the most played one (Defuse) didn't even exist in the release of the first beta.
So, that's for example one mode they could have, a form of defuse. Doesn't have to be with a bomb, they could have it with hacking a computer (so that it still makes sense that you can even as the defense blow the location to kingdom come and still win). The operators and the destroyable envoirement aren't anything that really prevents anything in terms of mechanics.

And while I don't buy that they need at least 50 to give choice while not making specific single characters a must-pick, I at least get where they're coming from in this regard and I do, to some degree, agree with the comparision with Mobas because I would say that the game is, due to the operators, at least a bit moba-esque. Not full on, but that's some resemblence to it so while it might not be flawless (due both sides in the given two examples also being identical in gameplay and you're not restricted to specific heroes on each team), it's acceptable enough for this argument.
I might be reading your post wrong, but it seems like you're saying that R6 only have one game mode, but that really isn't true, they actually have the Defuse mode you mention. There is also an alternative version of defuse where you don't have to plant a device to defuse but merely stay uncontested in an area.

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
shinyelf said:
Bindal said:

I might be reading your post wrong, but it seems like you're saying that R6 only have one game mode, but that really isn't true, they actually have the Defuse mode you mention. There is also an alternative version of defuse where you don't have to plant a device to defuse but merely stay uncontested in an area.
Also, hostage rescue. I love that one, simply because there is nothing more satisfying than screaming "Leeroy Jenkins!" at the top of your lungs, and charging into towards the objective.

TwoSidesOneCoin

Dec 11, 2010
A friend who plays this game mentioned this to me earlier. My reply was that they can't charge for new modes or maps because of their new operating procedures of not wanting to split the community, so they won't waste time or money on new modes, but need new maps to keep the game fresh. On the other hand they can charge all they want for new characters knowing that they'll receive little to no backlash from the community.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Well, they really want the objective to be mostly stationary so with that there arent many options. The first trailer had the defense moving the objective around the map and they ditched that so its unlikely that they would make something outside of what they already have, even a VIP mode.

I would really like to see some new stuff in the PVE front, some new enemies (in the attacking modes its basicly just two enemies with one of them being incredibly annoying), plus some new modes.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Borty The Bort said:
shinyelf said:
Bindal said:

Also, hostage rescue. I love that one, simply because there is nothing more satisfying than screaming "Leeroy Jenkins!" at the top of your lungs, and charging into towards the objective.
Aww, did you mean to hit the charging madman but killed the hostage instead? Guess it sucks to be on your team right now. Perfect feeling