"no-one in the world is more reviled than a pretty woman" samantha brick

doggy go 7

Jul 28, 2010
This woman wrote an article in an English newspaper (linked below) discussing how being "beautiful" is an incredible irritating aspect to her life.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2124246/Samantha-Brick-downsides-looking-pretty-Why-women-hate-beautiful.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

she is now under heavy attack, both from people saying she's arrogant, as well as people pointing out that she, at least in their opinion (and also in mine), isn't actually that pretty at all, if anything, she's fairly average looking. now defending herself, she claims that this attack "proves her point", "and that noone in the world is more reviled than a pretty woman" (her responce piece http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2124782/Samantha-Brick-says-backlash-bile-yesterdays-Daily-Mail-proves-shes-right.html )

I'd like to hear what you think; is the anger justified, can you defend her, do you think she's wrong and arrogant, or even a simple rating of her looks (she started it after all)

EDIT: my second link should now work

DOUBLE EDIT MARK TWO: I love all the people saying that they don't know what the brits are like, but in 'merica, she wouldn't be considered beautiful. Because, ya know, England and the UK are vastly different places from the US, what with us having different languages, and never ever stealing each others culture periodicly. Ahem. (yes I'm aware it's a joke, and one that I found funny as well, but people have now done it, there are plenty of other things you can take the piss out of us for ;))

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Being a very attractive person, especially a very attractive woman, can come with certain issues. I've no doubt about it. Jealousy is a real thing, and people will form many preconceptions about you based on how you look, and not all of them will be flattering or positive.

However, being attractive generally comes with significantly more social advantages than disadvantages.

No comment on the hubris involved in writing an article like this and then using yourself as an example.

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
I find it laughable that she claims the women who she claims reject her are being paranoid, when she's the one who's saying that the fact she hasn't been promoted means all women hate her. She's being arrogant in claiming that all her problems are down to other women being jealous of her imaginary good looks. And she writes for the Mail.

Girl With One Eye

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Jun 2, 2010
People don't hate her because of her looks, it's because shes an arrogant attention seeker whos making herself seem like a victim when nothing bad has really happened except she hasn't been anyones bridesmaid before. Boo fucking hoo.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
What the hell? Shes ugly as sin.

Pretty by British standards maybe... Hehe.
That's a bit cruel. "Moderately pretty" describes her better for me.

That article is just arrogant. First of all assuming she's supermodel-level pretty, then having the gall to claim that this is a bad state of affairs...

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
I didn't realise that Karisma from Something Positive was a real person.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Article is stupid.

Backlash is even stupider.

Yes, the woman is deluded. Let her be.
Everyone screaming that she is ugly just makes us look as dumb as her.

If she wants to think she's pretty, I honestly don't care.
Though, I do disagree with women hating other women who are pretty, I know some really pretty women and I would never hate them, they are all lovely people.
Then again I'm not your typical woman, I guess.

EDIT: Also, stop giving the Daily Mail attention, I am trying to ignore them in the hopes that they will go away. They are just doing this for the controversy.

iBagel said:
Being a devilishly attractive man myself, I totally agree with her and I think she has been victimised by all the jealous have-nots. Poor woman.
Is it weird I imagined your avatar twirling his moustache when I read that?

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
OhJohnNo said:
What the hell? Shes ugly as sin.

Pretty by British standards maybe... Hehe.
That's a bit cruel. "Moderately pretty" describes her better for me.
Sorry, I dont think shes pretty at all. She looks artificial. Tear away all that make up and all she has is a weird, derpy looking face. Her smile is fake. Her eyes look dead. To me, shes ugly.
Well, I dunno... Take away the make up and a lot of women look derpy.

When she's not smiling (because yes, that smile IS creepy, I agree) her face looks just fine to me. Now that you point it out, though, I see what you mean about the eyes... cold, dead, soulless things. Still, I've seen worse.

Of course, I think we can both agree she is being really arrogant and overestimating herself greatly.

doggy go 7

Jul 28, 2010
Phasmal said:
EDIT: Also, stop giving the Daily Mail attention, I am trying to ignore them in the hopes that they will go away. They are just doing this for the controversy.
I'm usually very averse to the Dail fail, but this blew up in such a massive way that I thought it was worth a nod.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
OhJohnNo said:
Well, I dunno... Take away the make up and a lot of women look derpy.
Meh. I prefer most women without makeup. If that makes them look more "derpy" so be it.

Phasmal said:
Everyone screaming that she is ugly just makes us look as dumb as her.
It's a predictable and somewhat embarrassing response, yes.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
doggy go 7 said:
Phasmal said:
I'm usually very averse to the Dail fail, but this blew up in such a massive way that I thought it was worth a nod.
Perhaps. But I fear posting it here will just cause the usual `Fucking Women, How Do They Work?` misogyny that we apparently dont have enough of ;)

(Once on the train I overheard a someone loudly declare that the Daily Mail was the only newspaper not afraid to tell the truth. I nearly pee'd myself laughing).

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
Oh no! I'm attractive! SOMEONE FEEL BAD FOR ME.
She isn't even that attractive. She just seems to be such a self-absorbed b*tch she decided to let everyone know about how sexy she thinks she is. This is disgraceful.
Yep, the fat kid in high school who was constantly bullied, he has it easy.
That girl with the deformity? So lucky...

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
HA, I saw the "But your ugly as shit, what would you know?!" responses coming a mile away. I love the pictures though especially:

The look on his face is hilarious. "Do I....do I HAVE to touch her? Really? REALLY?!"

As for her assumption, eh. I'm not a Pretty Woman so I wouldn't know first hand, but sure, I'd say being a high class hooker has it's ups and downs (ba dum cha, movie reference followed by corny ass joke ftw!)

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
Holy crap, that womans full of herself. Her points not really valid due to the fact beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Now, if she had said women who think they are beautiful, then she might have a point. Not because they're attractive, but because those people tend to be so freaking shallow and arrogant. See, where I'm going with this?