No One Lives Forever! The Revival

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I'm guessing someone, at some point in the last two years, said something about this, but right now the search function doesn't seem to work on this site. I don't know how I missed this. I was probably staying away because of the [redacted] issue, weren't you?

Anyway, does anyone here remember playing [HEADING=1]No One Lives Forever[/HEADING] Well, would you like to play it? It was remade, for free [http://nolfrevival.tk/], to run on modern systems. The catch is it will only run on the following:

x86 and x64 XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10

WHAT??? No Macintosh, Switch, IBM OS/2 or Linux?!? Such feigned outrage in my strawman situation right now omg.

They made the sequel compatible for modern PCs as well. For free. And also something called Contract J.A.C.K. which was some sort of follow-up to NOLF. Yep, it's all free to download, with a few bugs here and there--for PC. And something tells me they'll probably run fine on lower power machines.

If you can tell from my childish sarcasm, I've noticed a lot of apathetic malaise in these forums lately. Maybe not so much on the gaming side, but still, that's how I see it.

This is something to be happy about. This is a win.

I know I'm not the boss of you, but I hope you download the games and I hope you enjoy them as much as I did/will. If my link gets scrubbed for some reason, just look up "No One Lives Forever Revival" with the domain extension 'tk'.

Epilogue:

Curses! I can no longer lord it over people with me having the original discs!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
What a good name for a dead franchise.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm curious if this is gonna get hit with a C&D soon and if so, who from? WB probably owns it but apparently is worried somebody else might own parts of it as well, even though nobody from those other companies seems to have any idea if they own anything related or not.

https://kotaku.com/the-sad-story-behind-a-dead-pc-game-that-cant-come-back-1688358811

So of course, this series, which has been out of print for nearly 20 years now, will probably have at least one of the companies threatening legal action over something they barely remembered existed in the first place.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Didnot liked it at all. monolith best game was FEAR and it was huge step up from NOLF in literally every way.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Dalisclock said:
I'm curious if this is gonna get hit with a C&D soon and if so, who from? WB probably owns it but apparently is worried somebody else might own parts of it as well, even though nobody from those other companies seems to have any idea if they own anything related or not.
The thing is, nobody really knows who owns it now. The truth is probably buried deep in a filing cabinet somewhere and nobody can be bothered to go check.

Which is probably for the best. The OP's download link has been around since at least 2017, and it still hasn't been taken down yet.

As a huge fan of spy-shooters like Perfect Dark, I snapped up a download of it post haste, but still haven't got around to it yet. But I will. Someday.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
Thanks for this. I really wanted to play NolF2 when I was a kid but was never able to do so. Now I finally can check it out

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Frezzato said:
I'm guessing someone, at some point in the last two years, said something about this, but right now the search function doesn't seem to work on this site. I don't know how I missed this. I was probably staying away because of the [redacted] issue, weren't you?

Anyway, does anyone here remember playing [HEADING=1]No One Lives Forever[/HEADING] Well, would you like to play it? It was remade, for free [http://nolfrevival.tk/], to run on modern systems. The catch is it will only run on the following:

x86 and x64 XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10

WHAT??? No Macintosh, Switch, IBM OS/2 or Linux?!? Such feigned outrage in my strawman situation right now omg.

They made the sequel compatible for modern PCs as well. For free. And also something called Contract J.A.C.K. which was some sort of follow-up to NOLF. Yep, it's all free to download, with a few bugs here and there--for PC. And something tells me they'll probably run fine on lower power machines.

If you can tell from my childish sarcasm, I've noticed a lot of apathetic malaise in these forums lately. Maybe not so much on the gaming side, but still, that's how I see it.

This is something to be happy about. This is a win.

I know I'm not the boss of you, but I hope you download the games and I hope you enjoy them as much as I did/will. If my link gets scrubbed for some reason, just look up "No One Lives Forever Revival" with the domain extension 'tk'.

Epilogue:

Curses! I can no longer lord it over people with me having the original discs!
Your link be deader than Julius Caesar and Google returns nothing :p

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
B-Cell said:
Didnot liked it at all. monolith best game was FEAR and it was huge step up from NOLF in literally every way.
Don't even bother lying about having played NOLF.
As someone who snatched those revivals back when they went up, I can safely say that NOLF plays like shit compared to even semi-modern shooters like FEAR. What NOLF still has going for it is tons of charm, an incredible ability to land the tone and mood it aims for and the under-utilized classic spy movie aesthetic. But the actual game play is bad, the stealth is incredibly poorly implemented and the shooting feels floaty and light weight. Nolf 2 is in many ways a step up in terms of gameplay, but much less charming and secure tonally.

So I can sort of support B-Cell's assertion that FEAR is the much better game compared to NOLF, at least from a modern gameplay perspective.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Gethsemani said:
Adam Jensen said:
B-Cell said:
As someone who snatched those revivals back when they went up, I can safely say that NOLF plays like shit compared to even semi-modern shooters like FEAR. What NOLF still has going for it is tons of charm, an incredible ability to land the tone and mood it aims for and the under-utilized classic spy movie aesthetic. But the actual game play is bad, the stealth is incredibly poorly implemented and the shooting feels floaty and light weight. Nolf 2 is in many ways a step up in terms of gameplay, but much less charming and secure tonally.

So I can sort of support B-Cell's assertion that FEAR is the much better game compared to NOLF, at least from a modern gameplay perspective.
NOLF 2 is better in gameplay. I can't compare the stories since I actually never beat the original, I had played 2 first and couldn't go back to the earlier mechanics.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Gethsemani said:
Not the point. B-Cell is constantly lying about playing games with female protagonists despite his absolute disdain for such games. And the game doesn't have to feature a female protagonist in order to easily discern whether he's played it or not. It's also pretty obvious from the way he writes about any given game. It's kind of pathetic.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Oh noes! Some people don't like NOLF or NOLF 2! Zounds, what a terrible, terrible...oh wait, just don't download it for free and all your problems are solved! What a world we live in.

Also, the best FEAR game was FEAR 2. Just saying. Can somebody find a free download of that for PC and I can go ***** in that thread? :)

Edit: Oh right, just a reminder. There's THREE free games. NOLF 1-2 and Contract J.A.C.K. which I've never heard of.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Worgen said:
Gethsemani said:
Adam Jensen said:
B-Cell said:

NOLF 2 is better in gameplay. I can't compare the stories since I actually never beat the original, I had played 2 first and couldn't go back to the earlier mechanics.
NOLF gameplay is incredibly mediocre. FEAR combat and AI is still yet to be topped. FEAR was huge step up from NOLF and become monolith only masterpiece. since then they have not done anything good yet. FEAR 2 was consolized and 3 was even worse.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Worgen said:
Gethsemani said:
Adam Jensen said:
B-Cell said:

2 was more interesting in some ways but 1 was a better overall game. As much as I liked the tricycle chase, I liked how the missions in 1 followed nicely from one another. I remember 2 just felt kinda disappointing.

And the space station in 1 was far more interesting then the underwater base in 2.

Apr 5, 2008
No One Lives Forever and its sequel were brilliant. They were fun, memorable and a real shame there wasn't more like it. I'd love to see a new take on them, along with Soldier of Fortune and a few other forgotten titles.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
B-Cell said:
FEAR was kinda meh, honestly. I loved the idea and felt "Oh, we're fighting an army of physic clones in generic warehouses and offices. Whoopee" was really generic. Half Life did the same kinda thing better.

Alma made the game more interesting but when you realize she can't hurt you those bits become far less impactful.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Frezzato said:
Oh noes! Some people don't like NOLF or NOLF 2! Zounds, what a terrible, terrible...oh wait, just don't download it for free and all your problems are solved! What a world we live in.

Also, the best FEAR game was FEAR 2. Just saying. Can somebody find a free download of that for PC and I can go ***** in that thread? :)

Edit: Oh right, just a reminder. There's THREE free games. NOLF 1-2 and Contract J.A.C.K. which I've never heard of.
Don't worry, I'm pretty sure B CELL will have a thread soon enough about how FEAR is one of the best games of all time. Especially because you play as a nameless, faceless, silent dude instead a woman with an actual personality and motivations and such.

I didn't play Contract JACK but apparently it's not terribly good.