No One Really Cares About 1080p, Says Far Cry 4 Dev

RC1138

Dec 9, 2009
Shoes on the other foot... iirc wasn't half the games' industry claiming that the lack of progress in "fun, ... interesting, ... new, ... fresh," games because of GRAPHICS? Moment that people seem to actually appreciate and understand what a halfway decent graphical experience is, and they can't live up to it, there crying foul. Best part is that this stems from 1080 res, which isn't even that nice (PC's have been rendering that for years).

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
While I personally don't care about 1080p, what made you think this was a good idea to say, Ubi?

Those that don't care like myself won't care about you saying that people don't care, and those that do care are just going to be pissed off at you saying it.

Ubi's terrible PR continues, it seems.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Zeriu said:
I don't think he understands the concept of resolution in general. Resolution != Size of the screen.

"With the 4K TVs and things - somebody was telling me that with a 4K TV, to even see it, your living room has to be big enough to sit like 12 feet from the screen."

Has nothing to do with the actual resolution. This guy is clearly talking out of his ass, and is projecting a bad image on his company for doing so. Good job, Ubisoft. Another one for the books.
Well said, Zeriu.

He should try any decent PC game (say Tombraider 2013) on my 27 inch 1440p monitor in 720p, 1080p and then 1440p. Mayyyyyyybe he'd see a little difference... [/sarcasm]

Ubisoft is -once again!!!- quite smart too; letting a "creative director" talk about something technical -which is a hot button topic- that he clearly has no clue about.

Jiggle Counter

Sep 18, 2014
I don't even know what 1080p on a console looks like.

I own an xbox 360 with games that aren't displayed as TRUE 1080p, they're all just upscaled from 720p, so setting the Xbox 360 options to display 1080p doesn't change anything visually for me.

That being said, I also think it depends on the monitor or tv used.

I've seen some native 1080p monitors which look blurry and murky when their resolution is lowered.
And I've seen some native 1080p big plasmas that look great no matter what resolution is set.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
It's not that its running at 720p which is the annoying bit, it's the fact that were in 2014 with brand spanking new consoles that can't even achieve 1080p at 30fps from what we've seen so far.

1080p should really be the min spec by now, I don't know of a tv/monitor that you can buy that doesn't do 1080p (excluding the small mini screens for things like car dvr's).

Oh well either way it doesn't really affect me as I play on pc but it's still disappointing to know we're not at that standard for the console gamers.

Going to be honest I would of expected the throw everything at it and hope it copes phase would be over by now with the new consoles (it is a year old after all), and as a developer I get the idea of oh it's got way more RAM now so we can just be a bit less careful but come on inefficient code is inefficient and you would be surprised by how much of a difference doing something a little different can effect the performance of a program.

I've reduced 20 minute runtime SQL queries on stupidly complex structures down to 20 seconds just by adding a single line of code, needless to say our customer was happy. Point is if you write code efficiently or have someone check it over you would probably find all these 720p 30fps news stories would be next to none existent. You'd be surprised how well this tag team coding style works.

Rodolphe Kourkenko

Dec 10, 2012
1080 isn't necessary BUT when you're a big AAA studio promising shiny graphics and revolutionary "everything" on a new gen consoles each time you have a new game, you should be able to make a game that can be played in a resolution available since what ? five or six years on an average PC.

You can't compare a SNES game to the next AC game... It's like comparing Super Mario Bros on SNes to Assassin's Creed 3 on whatever support... Their is no challenge for Mario, it's not even funny !

I agree for the 4K TV, it's a little part of the customers. For now. To be honest, you can see a lot of indi dev teams that can put 1080 on any of their games, yes, their graphics are somehow minimalist BUT they don't have the same funding or capacity Ubisoft put in any of their products.

Beside all of this, he speak for the Xone mag, so he had to tell the Xone customers they've the best product. Biased, untrue but it's his job.

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
1080p has been my standard for several years. Ever since I got a 42" TV as my main display device (in 2010), and I use it mainly for my PC (though I've also got a 360 and NES). It's now 2014 and they're saying that my minimum standards are too high compared to 4 years ago (when 1080p/60 fps had already been standard for years).

Of course I care! It's like saying people don't care about what they earn, as long as they enjoy it, and so would not mind having their salary reduced!

You are lowering my standards, making games blurry and sluggish, and then you're telling me I don't care about it.

Go lick a frozen lamppost!

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
60 fps > 1080p

That being said I'm a PC gamer so there's no reason I can't have both.

I don't care how Ubi treats consoles because that's what you get with fixed point hardware. Either you make the game look worse and run better or look better and run worse.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I think that devs are releasing these sub 1080p 30fps games, see that they sell and think "why bother pushing it to these benchmarks when we can get away without doing so? All we have to do is cope with a little moaning".

Saying that, I don't care about 1080p or 60fps ...

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
I like how we don't care about decent resolutions, and we also don't care about high framerates. I assume the next big thing we don't really care about will be good mechanics and smart game design.

While it is true that some people don't care about high resolutions, and some don't care about high framerates- stop telling us what we don't like. It's actually our job to tell you that. You don't get to define the market, mister.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
While I don't agree entirely with what he says and I think it's pretty stupid that he does so (I mean, he should know the audience he's talking to), I do think he might have a point.

I do think (can't back it up with numbers, I know) that many (if not most) people don't really care about or even know of the difference about 720p and 1080p, other than that 1080p is presumably better.

We here on this forum know. I know. People who talk/complain about it on the internet know. The 'average' consumer might not.

I say again, I can't back it up with numbers, but just dismissing his statement because you don't agree is just as silly as Ubisoft saying it.

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
Can I just say again how fucking DUMB it is that publishers are complaining about how "people don't really care about 1080p", and they say that simply because they can't make the graphics better?

Meanwhile, we have smartphones... FUCKING SMARTPHONES... that are going to be HIGHER than 1080p. The Galaxy Note 4 is already out, and the Google Nexus 6 will be soon, and BOTH of those phones are 2560x1440 resolution. Hell, even the iPhone 6 Plus can do 1080p.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
At this point i wonder if Ubisoft are regretting entering that marketing agreement with MS.

Now granted, we dont know the exact details of that contract but it seems obvious to me that Ubisoft and its representatives are barred from saying anything negative about the XB1.

Anyway, expecting another Unisoft-themed Jimquisiton next Monday.

Also id like to point this out from the OXM article;
We should not be in a business that sells itself on the flavour of like, gadgetry and technology.
On which i agree with him. Ubisoft of all publishers should know how hideousy expensive all the HD pixie dust is.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Everyone notice how suddenly devs are claiming stuff like 60 FPS and 1080 don't matter when the fact was before this current gen they were claiming that such things were important and they needed new hardware for it? Looks like reality is rearing its ugly head and now they're trying to move goal posts. Seriously guys, freaking quit it with the obsession over high res textures already; they don't add as much to the game as you think. But then again, they're also a lot easier to do than hitting 1080P or 60 FPS benchmarks, aren't they?

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Alexander Kirby said:
When are they going to admit that the only reason they want their games at 900/30P is because then they can up the graphics so it's noticeably better than the old consoles when someone watches a heavily compressed 360p YouTube video of Pewdiepie on their phone. It's simple economics; that's how the average Joe or Jane is going to judge how far exactly the new consoles have advanced and whether or not it's worth the £400 asking price.
I hate how they're making up excuses for these stop-gap consoles because they know developers will get the blame for poor advancements from the uninformed public. It is really the console makers' faults for mismanaging the last generation until they were deep enough in the hole to say hi to the mole people, then making three underpowered mules because they didn't want to dig themselves deeper. Someone needs to call them out on their problems, someone besides the guys online comparing game specs and getting wise to the compromises being made in the frame rates and resolution.
joshuaayt said:
I like how we don't care about decent resolutions, and we also don't care about high framerates. I assume the next big thing we don't really care about will be good mechanics and smart game design.
I remember, 4 years ago, we didn't care about several single player PC games from Ubi having that always online DRM that barely functioned. Ubi sure knows its customer base. /sarcasm Same thing happened with MS 18 months ago.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
They're making a game with a heavy focus on realism and yet they're comparing it to 2D pixel graphics games?

Of course graphics are important, for THEIR game.

Plus, why the hell are people buying 1080p 60ghz monitors if they don't care?

I wonder if games companies had a meeting and told all their staff to suddenly become hipsters, because that's what it seems like.

ExiledCreature

Sep 23, 2014
With Ubisoft making these craploads of cash from franchises that release every half a year, you'd think they'd have the money to hire a PR department some time down the line.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
*headdesk*

Really? Really!?

And the guys wonders why we enjoy low-res pixel graphics - but complain about shitty AAA high-res graphics?

Could it be that one style lends itself well to low-res graphics, while the other sort of demands good high-res graphics?

Gah... the stupidity

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
PS: When he says "people don't care" about 1080p what he means is that people will still buy the game even if it isn't 1080p.

People can make as much noise online as they like about 1080p60 but until they stop buying games which don't meet those standards then they don't actually care.