No One Really Cares About 1080p, Says Far Cry 4 Dev

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Abomination said:
60 fps > 1080p

That being said I'm a PC gamer so there's no reason I can't have both.
I agree

whist low res makes the game look and play worse framerate is way more important.

Its just so frustrating for this to keep coming out people do care. Its the same as all this ooo LCD is better than plasma crap that was another example of manufactures telling people what they want, oo look how thin it is ! Who cares that the picture is nowhere near as good and there is terrible ghosting its thin! this is exactly the same.

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
So, no one cares about 1080p and 30 FPS is better than 60... Why exactly did we need a new console generation then?

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Though I don't mind the difference between 720p and 1080p what has been asserted in Alex's words is damn right moronic and surprisingly ignorant for a game dev.

I feel that I must agree that maybe he's just spouting contracted spiel.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Well, the difference is that those "retro, pixel games" aren't selling themselves on visuals or graphical fidelity. Far Cry 4 is. You don't put out pictures like that tiger if you're not.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I'm glad to have Ubisoft tell me what I care or don't care about. I will send them an e-mail today to ask them what I should do with my life. Maybe I should consider a career change or something. They seem to know me better than I know myself.

hino77

Mar 4, 2010
"It feels weird to me that people are cool about playing a sort of retro pixel game, and yet the resolution [in AAA titles] somehow matters. It's like: is it fun, is it interesting, is it new, is it fresh, are there interesting questions?"

I find it funny that one of the things he points out is how fresh and new the game is, while working on Farcry 4 that is
mostly a re-skin of Farcry 3 and working for the company that made relesing the same games over and over again its main business model.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Geez, the amount of hate he gets for this is intense. I mean yea even as someone who gives no shits about th 1080p/60 magic number I can see it was kinda silly for him to say that even just from a PR perspective, but calm down guys . Ubisoft isn't going to come take your 4K tvs, your toys are still safe.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Baaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Haven't been to the Internet lately, have ya, Alex?

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Ubisoft should just stop talking to the press. They are digging themselves into a deeper hole every time they open their mouth. 1080p/60FPS should be the industry standard by now, and no amount of "Oh it looks better at 720p/30" or "1080p/60 isnt important" is going to change that. All it does is make you look like an idiot. I understand that you cannot just bump up the resolution and double the FPS, because the hardware wont allow it, but at least say that it is because of hardware constraints as opposed to trying to claim that it is better and that Ubisoft is actually doing us a favour.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
first they are just numbers, then 30 fps is better and now this. has ubisoft gone completely insane or something? its like he probably never saw a HD monitor or something?
Its like as if Ubisofts marketing strategy is to create controversy by saying the most stupid thing they can imagine every week so people keep talking about them.

Steven Bogos said:
He went on to say that "It feels weird to me that people are cool about playing a sort of retro pixel game, and yet the resolution [in AAA titles] somehow matters. It's like: is it fun, is it interesting, is it new, is it fresh, are there interesting questions?"
its funny, since those retro pixel games all run at 1080p.

"With the 4K TVs and things - somebody was telling me that with a 4K TV, to even see it, your living room has to be big enough to sit like 12 feet from the screen. I don't know the exact numbers, but it starts to get a little crazy. I'm just in it for the experience, I'll play a SNES game if it's cool."
maybe you shoudl ask for sources next time because that somobody was wrong or blind.
Also your TV does not turn invisible if you sit closer to it.

Jiggle Counter said:
I've seen some native 1080p monitors which look blurry and murky when their resolution is lowered.
And I've seen some native 1080p big plasmas that look great no matter what resolution is set.
Plasmas will always look great because, well, they are plasmas. they are also something that will make you bankrupt from electricity bills and cannot be used for gaming due to massive input lag. oh and dont let them burn in, it does not go away, ever.

the color quality though, almost makes it all worth it.

devotedsniper said:
Going to be honest I would of expected the throw everything at it and hope it copes phase would be over by now with the new consoles (it is a year old after all), and as a developer I get the idea of oh it's got way more RAM now so we can just be a bit less careful but come on inefficient code is inefficient and you would be surprised by how much of a difference doing something a little different can effect the performance of a program.

I've reduced 20 minute runtime SQL queries on stupidly complex structures down to 20 seconds just by adding a single line of code, needless to say our customer was happy. Point is if you write code efficiently or have someone check it over you would probably find all these 720p 30fps news stories would be next to none existent. You'd be surprised how well this tag team coding style works.
the mistake in this is that you assume Ubisoft wants to write optimized code. they have demonstrated multiple times they have no intention in having thie games optimized. after all according to them you should just buy a better graphic card for badly optimized ports [http://www.videogamer.com/pc/assassins_creed_4_black_flag/news/ubisoft_provides_statement_on_ac4_pc_optimisation_proud_of_pc_version.html]

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I'm tired of hearing about this bullshit Ubi. I really am.

Here's the thing. YES people care about 1080p if they were originally promised those levels of visuals to start with. You can't just say that we don't care if people play SNES games because that's not a valid argument. If someone told me Bayonetta 2 was going to be 1080p at 60FPS and they failed to deliver on that, YES I would be disappointed. Luckily, that isn't the case. You can't just present a good looking game and then say the final product won't live up to your original expectation. This is what got you in trouble with Watch_Dogs. This is where some heat regarding The Division is coming from. And now it looks like the same shit is happening with Far Cry 4.

Maybe I choose a good time to stop buying from Ubi.

Simonism451

Oct 27, 2008
At this point, I imagine the hiring process for project leads at Ubisoft goes something like this:

"Chuck, we can see that you have extensive experience with various programming languages, demonstrated your excellent management skills several times during your ten years with the company, are very popular with all your co-workers without ever being lenient with them and you also come around every sunday to wash my car but we're still not convinced you're the perfect man for the job."
"Well, Yves did I mention that I am also very vocal about my opinion that we shouldn't continue being overly focused on only the negative aspects of the Third Reich?"
"Say no more! Welcome on board!"

"See, Steve, we really like what you're doing for our company but-"
"I'll talk about not tipping waiters in public!"
"Take me in your big strong arms and never let me go!"

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
No one cares about your game either. Seriously give me a good reason to buy Ubishat or E Ass games?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I like how publishers demanded we care about graphical fidelity and then quickly turned around and told us we shouldn't care when it got too hard. Stop putting this on us, you're the ones who created this monster!

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
"Nobody cares about 1080p" says Ubisoft.

Ubisoft, in turn, says that I am nobody.

Ubisoft needs to muzzle itself. I often wonder what their PR people feel like going to work every day.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I personally think devs reverting back to 720 is just their attempt to be lazy and/or save money. To this, I say "go cheaper." Stop blowing so much on the games and you'll get a better return.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
1. Consoles need to be connected to a TV.
2. Most TVs nowadays are 1080p.
3. Games should run at our TVs' native resolution.
4. Fuck you, Ubisoft.

My 8 year old laptop is struggling to run modern games at its native 1680x1050, but if I lower it to 1280x800 they usually run fine (unless SOMEONE fucked up the PC port, *cough* ubisoft *cough*).
Could it be that you are hiding your "next gen" console's laughably inadequate hardware?

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
No one cares about 1080p it's all about 2k and 4k :p

but seriously this is silly. Of course pixel retro games look fine at low rez their 2D!. Resolution doesn't even have anything to do with game graphics. It's all to do with picture quality. The better the resolution the sharper and clearer everything is. This means less eye strain and a nice sharp picture for your game.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
The Great JT said:
I personally think devs reverting back to 720 is just their attempt to be lazy and/or save money. To this, I say "go cheaper." Stop blowing so much on the games and you'll get a better return.
Why would they stop blowing money on new engines and graphics production and advertisement when actually planning out their production schedule, game features, budget, and learning how to get the most out of the hardware take time for no initial return on investment? That's just bad business.[/sarcasm]