No One Really Cares About 1080p, Says Far Cry 4 Dev

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
As long as AAA games cost 60 USD, I care about 1080p and 60+ FPS.

You want me to relax my expectations of graphical fidelity? Then drop the price.

Mr_xx

Mar 3, 2012
What mostly annoys me about this, is that the console limitation get forced onto each other (the PS4 seems to be able to handle more then the XBone) and onto PC Gamers.

*edit3* I stand corrected, ignore the old post...
Unless you want to lower it for aesthetic reasons, the 'best' resolution depends on two factors (ignoring eyesight): The size of your TV and the distance you sit from it.

An example, the left part of the following image is rendered in a higher resolution than the right:

If you're sitting 0.5m (2') or maybe even closer to your ~20" PC Screen you should be able to see the difference.
If you move away from your screen the images will look identical at some point.
For Screen size, viewing this image on your smartphone, tablet or laptop, the image will look identical even at a really short distance. (Unless of course your phone has a 20" display)

The following graph (taken from http://www.rtings.com/info/television-size-to-distance-relationship) shows the relationship between resolution, distance and screen size:

If you can't tell the difference between 1080p and 720p on your TV than its perfectly setup for its size with 720p in mind.

It's important to keep in mind that 3D application also employ other means to achieve a 'better' image, e.g. Anti Aliasing, which is sometimes less resource consuming than using a higher resolution.

Red Dead Redemption runs at 720p on Xbox 360 along with 2x multi-sampling anti-aliasing. PlayStation 3 renders at 1152x640, with a blur-inducing quincunx anti-aliasing.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-red-dead-redemption-face-off

I've played the game on both consoles and the PS3 Versions is quite eye straining in my opinion.
(The difference might not be obvious in the resized spoilers)

From an image quality point of view, resolution definitely matters.

Sadly the current consoles hardware is quite underwhelming, but instead of pointing this out, developers start throwing around 720pvs1080p or 30vs60 fps debates. Why not admit that the consoles cannot run their engine at 1080p@60hz?
Of course there are those who tie their physic engine to the frames...

The community was apparently able to somewhat fix NfS Rivals, but only if you're able to keep the game at a steady 60fps.
*edit* fixed the youtube link
*edit2* just saw that Lightknight already pointed out the relationship between resolution, distance and screen size while I was typing (got distracted while writing this...)

PrimePowerOn

Nov 30, 2009
happy_turtle said:
"With the 4K TVs and things - somebody was telling me that with a 4K TV, to even see it, your living room has to be big enough to sit like 12 feet from the screen.
Yeah, this is the point where we can put this down to the fact that a) he's an idiot, and b) he's talking to the official xbox magazine about a game coming out for the xbone and is therefore contractually obliged to make xbox owners feel like "first-class gamers".
Oh you are a gentleman and a scholar. This is the first use of the FCG quote from XBOX that I've seen used snarkily. Love it.

Mind if I borrow?

junky66

Oct 26, 2014
I don't know what he meant, but for a 15.6" screen size, 1080p resolution, given the screen is not rubbish (like in many cases), is noticeable
But it's not the only thing to look for, ofcourse and besides, all this graphics settings hype has really gone too far - what about the game itself? Digger is still better than many modern shooters.

CrimsonBlack

Mar 10, 2011
Micah Weil said:
In his defense, I cannot tell the difference between 1080p and 720p. For whatever reason, I just cannot see it. Period.
There, Devil's Advocate played. Please resume your pointing out how this man is an idiot.
I agree. I also agree with the dev. I couldn't give two hoots if a game is HD or not. People are seriously getting their panties in a twist over (literally) technicalities.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
So let me get this straight:

The creative director for the current iteration of a game series whose primary selling point, since it's inception, has been it's graphical fidelity....is saying graphical fidelity isn't important?

Um...yeah. I have little faith in the "creativity" of a game if it's creative director is so monumentally and hypocritically stupid.

I'm loving that the crux of his argument is the demonstrably false claim, "Nobody cares about 1080p."

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
There was a time when all Devs talked about was how hardcore and sexy "NEXT GEN" was going to be, now that "NEXT GEN" is current gen, all they seem to talk about is how low rez low FPS games are the way we've wanted it the whole time.

1080p/60FPS was like, the coolest, most important shit on Earth to devs (especially Ubisoft) up until 6 months ago.

I think it matters a lot now that I have a 1080p screen for my PC, a couple months ago when my PC screen was 1680 x 1050 it was something I couldn't even understand, but running at 1920 x 1080 makes a huuuuge difference, textures and shadows and models all look way better and way more detailed with those extra pixels.

SonofSpermcube

Aug 10, 2013
5% care about 1080p, 5% just go and buy them or not buy them, and 90% don't understand why the edges of everything look so fuzzy on their new TV.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Yes people clearly don't care about having media on their screens native resolution.
Why don't they just say they lower the resolution due to the platform they're working on instead of spewing this bullshit?
At least that would be honest, no one would rip their heads off due to the lower resolution and if anything they would garner some goodwill for not insulting their target audiences intelligence for once.
Or just shut up, don't say anything at all instead of this.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Yeah it does matter, because people like you for years kept telling us it did. And now you're saying it doesn't matter?

Augustine

Jun 21, 2012
I would say that I care very-very little about small refinements in visual fidelity (and I find them to be a rather lazy direction to progress the games in, mechanical, as opposed to creative work - instead give me amazing AI, interesting new genres, higher interactivity, depth, better plots etc.)

Having said that...
The statements is outright false, considering that "nobody cares" is a very grand and absolutist statement to make, and is easily disproved by polling first ten gamers you'd come across(remember, just having one who cares, makes the statement invalid).

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Maybe if you didn't make such a hardcore push for dem grephx this generation you might be able to say something smart for once. But, when your promise oversteps your capabilities, there's a bit of an issue. You all wanted this "new-gen" stuff now. You wanted it to happen and make us believe it could be done. But instead, you've made nothing but empty promises on capabilities (Watch Dogs anyone?) and you dun FUCKED IT UP. Now it's nothing but throwing things into reverse and backpedaling. Scared, Ubisoft? You should be.

If we didn't care, you'd think it wouldn't be so talked about. Throw those false statements all you like, Ubisoft. Can't wait to see what other crap you can come up with in 2015.

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
Goddamn! How many more times is Ubisoft gonna keep digging selves deeper with stupid comments.

Mar 8, 2012
Strazdas said:
Optimization costs money, but the thing is its very much a logarythmic scale. most of optimization is relatively cheap to the rest of it. if they at least did the "fast and cheap part" and then stopped spouting bullshit every week they would be fine. oh and yeah im sure a game with 400 million budget cant spare that half a million for basic graphics optimization in ports.

Ubisoft is really not a company that has any right to claim they cant afford something. they cosntantly make many of most expensive games around. and do it worse than companies that make ghames for tenfold lower budgets.
Unless you work for the industry, or have access to financial data, you don't know how much anything costs. This includes both basic optimization and that ludicrous $400 million budget you pulled from some mule's rectum.

It does sound like, however, that you're of the mind a company should just spend money without any thought to cost-effectiveness. Businesses, under normal economic conditions, behave rationally. If it costs more money to optimize a port, then the port should cost more than the original. Imagine paying $60 for Sunset Overdrive on XBO, and $70 for a PS4 or PC port in another year or so.

What you, and most people here, are ignoring is it's perfectly legitimate for a company to want to standardize their game's experience across multiple platforms; especially if they rely on cross-platform sales and don't lock themselves into exclusivity deals. There's no sense in burning bridges by showing who's inferior to the competition. It's just bad business.

Mar 8, 2012
Mcoffey said:
Shingeki no Gingerbeard said:
But both of these arguments/rebuttals pale in comparison to the underlying issue here: that you all are complaining about X developer not making games capable of running at Y resolution (and sometimes Z frame rate.)

In case you all forgot, developers don't make games for television sets or monitors; they make them for consoles. Perhaps your ire should be directed not at the hobby makers who find themselves forced to choose the "best" way to communicate their artistic vision, but at the console makers for not constructing hardware which can keep up with demands of the hobbyists who have been spoiled by a rapidly-progressing television industry driven moreso by film than video gaming.
They also make games for PC. Doesn't matter what their "intended audience" is. If they make a product that doesn't work as well as it should, especially since it's 60 bucks, I'm going to criticize them for it.
Whether or not a product works as well as it should is somewhat subjective. Like I've stated previously, it boils down to technical expectations vs the limitations of the creator's vision. The big reason why Assassin's Creed: Unity is running on only 30fps is because Ubisoft decided to recreate Paris in a 1:1 scale, as opposed to the more common 1:4 or 1:3. They're rendering hundreds, if not thousands of NPCs on screen at a time. The bulk of processing power is going towards generating atmosphere, and not how fast the game refreshes.

Is it going to result in a better game? Maybe, maybe not, but it's their artistic decision. If you're going to criticize a game, then it's all or nothing. Don't limit yourself to some technical aspects while ignoring others, or aesthetics.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
while uber-resolution and 60fps aren't THAT important on my list
(imo animations and detailed aesthetics are slightly more important)
Saying that no one cares about these things is exaggeration
At least I would like to play game at these settings if possible

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
Seeing some developer's declaration lately, I'm 100% sure they think we are stupid kids or full retards. I'm mean, can't do it (for any reason), fine! But is really necessary give these idiotic explanations?

Middle_Index

Stoner/Metaller
Mar 6, 2014
Pixel games £15,£10,£5 £2.50 even 99p

AAA games £40,£50,£60 even £70 not to even talk about DLCs and season passes!!

i want Jim to do an emergency vid right now!!

they will eat their hats over 1080p to stay in the game they need every tool in the box. do they think they could get away with releasing games with old gen textures and saying "hey no ones sits that close to the screen to be able to make out every hi res pixel with the naked eye"

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
What's this? A Far Cry dev saying HD resolution is not important?

I thought you were supposed to make a beeping noise when you back up.