No Online Pass For Syndicate

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
No Online Pass For Syndicate

The new Syndicate shooter will not - I repeat, will not - make use of an online pass.

Electronic Arts is known for many things, among them as the innovator of the "online pass." Initially referred to by EA CEO John Riccitiello as "Project Ten Dollar [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98497-Retailers-Warn-Project-Ten-Dollar-Will-Hurt-Consumers]," it's a simple idea: single-use codes included with videogames for bonus content that people who buy used must pay extra to get. Not everyone is in love with the system but it's become standard fare for EA releases and most other publishers have jumped on the bandwagon as well.

Which is why it's more than a little odd that Syndicate, the new Starbreeze shooter coming next month, won't make use of it. "We want as little resistance or barriers to entry as possible," EA Partners Executive Producer Jeff Gamon told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-01-no-online-pass-for-syndicate-ea-confirms]. "The co-op is equal billing in this. We wanted everyone who owns a copy of the game to have access to the entire product."

EA's policy of including an online pass with all its games does not apply to EA Partners releases, which publishes games by independent studios like Starbreeze. Syndicate is an EA-owned IP, however, which makes the whole thing a bit fuzzy, but Gamon explained that EA took a pass on the pass because the online play is strictly co-op and it wants to ensure that as many people as possible are playing. He also said the publisher is "confident in the scope of the game" and doesn't think people will be rushing to trade it in anyway.

"There are nine maps. It's hard to say, but just to play through the maps once on normal is a good six, seven hours. To progress your character and upgrade a few weapons is a heap of content," he said. "That and the single-player campaign means hopefully we won't see much in the way of early second hand sales and rentals."

Syndicate [http://www.amazon.com/Syndicate-Xbox-360/dp/B0050SY9WC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328121243&sr=8-1] comes out on February 12 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation and PC.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I am confused as to whether or not EA is confident in this product. You could make the argument for both. Hopefully it does well so they get the message, "we like games that don't lock you out of content."

achilleas.k

Apr 11, 2009
I can honestly say I'm impressed.

The fact that they regard the online coop as sort of "essential" to the story and experience makes it sound like they actually know what they're doing.

theaceplaya

Jul 20, 2009
That pushed me over the edge to pick this up fairly soon after release. I will encourage my friends to do the same; I've been telling them for months that we need to use our XBL Gold accounts for more than just L4D 1/2

Apr 28, 2008
So, does this mean that every time EA puts an online pass on a game, that it isn't confident that it's good enough for people to keep instead of trade in?

So, EA has more faith in this game, than it does Mass Effect 3? Mass Effect 3's multiplayer is strictly co-op, why didn't they keep that open for everyone? It's not like everyone will be rushing to trade in a huge, epic RPG that's been hyped to hell and back and is sure to make money.

I should probably give up trying to understand the logic behind EA's decisions, but dammit I need to figure this out.

Glad this game isn't getting a pass. I wish EA did this for all its games.

TheLoveableMuffin

Jun 11, 2011
I thought studios with EA can decide if they want a pass or not. (Hence Crysis 2 not having one) It has nothing to do witn EA not having 'faith'. It's Starbreeze's choice.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I know next-to-nothing about this game other than my feelings of 'meh' for the title and font but if the thing doesn't use an online pass than I'm tempted to reserve it (if not buy it outright) as a way of showing that I approve of the no online pass thing...not that they'd care or get that message once money has been taken from me of course.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
This doesn't affect me directly as I would have gotten the PC version anyway. I guess this kinda balances out the no PC demo thing on my karma scale, so my chances of buying the game have gone up.

I was also under the impression that the developers with EA had a say in the matter when it came to online passes. If that's the case, Starbreeze just won some points with me.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I expected this game to fail horribly, and while I still do, I now no longer want it to. Things like this should be encouraged. Damn, I can't afford more games, and my backlog is just growing.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
the publisher is "confident in the scope of the game" anddoesn't think people will be rushing to trade it in anyway.
That should be the attitude all developers have. Unfortunately this seems like the kinda game people will trade in quite often.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Y'know what. I really don't give a shit about what other people have been saying about this game. It's trying it's best to encourage people to give it a go, and I'm inclined to let it. Just cause it's a 'reboot' doesn't mean the developer didn't work any harder.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
I wasn't going to preorder this game. Now I am. Reason being no online pass. I want a standard set that I will support games that don't have online passes

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Absolutionis said:
TheLoveableMuffin said:
Hence Crysis 2 not having one
Crysis 2 had Origin, and that's much more problematic.
Syndicate does too.
Shoggoth2588 said:
I know next-to-nothing about this game other than my feelings of 'meh' for the title and font but if the thing doesn't use an online pass than I'm tempted to reserve it (if not buy it outright) as a way of showing that I approve of the no online pass thing...not that they'd care or get that message once money has been taken from me of course.
You should try and find a copy of the original Syndicate (Won't be that expensive), because it is amazing.
That should give you a barebones idea of what this one is, but since this is a FPS and the first one wasn't there are probably going to be a lot of changes.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
While I'm not entirely against the idea of online passes, how they've been handled thus far has put a sour note on my perception of them, enough so that this declaration of 'no online pass' has actually made me want to buy the game. now if only their DRM scam, sorry, I meant digital distribution service, was worth the bandwidth it eats, I might start looking at EA like a respectable corporate overlord, heh, I won't get my hopes up.