No Paid DLC Characters For Tekken, Ever

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
No Paid DLC Characters For Tekken, Ever

Tekken producer, Katsuhiro Harada, maintains characters are too important to be sold as DLC.

Fighting games live and die by their character rosters, everything else is just window dressing. Thus, Capcom's decision to lock twelve of Street Fighter X Tekken's on-disk characters in order to sell them as DLC - albeit, minus the "downloadable" part - was met with a less than enthusiastic response from fans. It seems Namco won't be making the same mistake with the Tekken series.

"Tekken has never had DLC before and charged for it," series producer, Katushiro Harada, told Edge. [http://www.edge-online.com/news/harada-tekken-will-never-have-paid-dlc-characters] "This isn't really directed at Capcom, I have always said this, but I see the characters and their move sets as chess pieces - they are essential items necessary in the game and we would never sell any of those individually."

However, Harada did offer some justification for Capcom's decision to offer characters as on-disk DLC.

"I expect the reason they did that was, if one player bought a character that another player didn't have, they would not be able to play against each other online," he said. "Each player needs to have the character data on their disc - if one doesn't, they would need to download it before each match - and as that includes the character model, the data would be large, increasing the download time."

Presumably, most players would only have to download the extra data once, but 360 users who didn't spring for a model with a hard drive would probably end up unable to play the game online. Capcom insists that character data is on the disk to "save hard drive space, and to ensure a smooth transition when DLC is available."

Harada did mention that future Tekken games might see some vanity item DLC, so bad luck to those of you who don't want to fight characters who look like they've barely survived a catastrophic explosion in a fancy dress costume factory. He also added that Namco may use early access to extra characters as a pre-order incentive, but that those characters would be available to everyone and could be unlocked simply by playing the game.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
I love that. "This isn't really directed at Capcom" The implied "but I am so totally directing this at Capcom" was rather loud in that statement.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Atleast Harada gets it...why can't Capcom get it?

I don't care how anyone trys to justify the complete characters on the disk...withholding them for any price is an incredibly dickish move to wring more money out of the consumers...

It's not costumes, stages or something else cosmetic. We are talking about characters to play as. For a fighting game, those are the most important part next to the game mechanics...

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Huh. Why didn't you bring up his "Lee Chaolan in a bikini" example for vanity items? I for one found the imagery astounding.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
MrBrightside919 said:

I don't care how anyone trys to justify the complete characters on the disk...withholding them for any price is an incredibly dickish move to wring more money out of the consumers...

It's not costumes, stages or something else cosmetic. We are talking about characters to play as. For a fighting game, those are the most important part next to the game mechanics...
That makes me think Capcom will start charging for moves.

"Wanna pull off a Sonic Boom? $2.99."

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I am not a huge Tekken fan but good on Namco for their decision. I agree with his reasoning in regards to the importance of character's being too important for DLC wholeheartedly. It messes with the competitive nature for sure. Though I suspect he wouldn't be so quick to defend Capcom if they weren't currently partners. :p

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
RaikuFA said:
MrBrightside919 said:

That makes me think Capcom will start charging for moves.

"Wanna pull off a Sonic Boom? $2.99."
At this point...I wouldn't be surprised...

"Wanna finish this shoryuken your trying to do? 50 cents. $1.50 for the ex version"

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Woo the man makes sense! I like this guy!

Except i've never been interested in Tekken and don't plan to start now... Well fuck. Hey anyone know when Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 4 is coming out yet? XD

Hopefully Capcom have noticed how much of a shitstorm SFXT was and have decided to loosen up thei- oh wait this is Capcom... Right.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Woo the man makes sense! I like this guy!

Except i've never been interested in Tekken and don't plan to start now... Well fuck. Hey anyone know when Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 4 is coming out yet? XD

Hopefully Capcom have noticed how much of a shitstorm SFXT was and have decided to loosen up thei- oh wait this is Capcom... Right.
They blamed it all on Ono and he was hospilized from stress.

Turns me away from fighters...

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
I'm hoping this means that the Tekken X Street Fighter will have all fighters unlocked on day one. It's Namco-Bandai's part of the project that I care about more. I'm not the biggest fan of Street Fighter.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Something kinda like a voice over for a movie trailer played in my head just now:

"In a world where all companies charge their customers for DLC they want but they can't have, one brave and lone company dared to stand apart...and not charge them".

...And then explosions would follow and a love story would be added and stuff.

It's a pretty smart move. It might incite people to buy Tekken over Street Fighter or UMvC or even SFxT.

So does that mean Tekken X Street Fighter won't have any characters as DLC? I know they're partnering with Capcom and all, but seeing how SFxT got the DLC characters and it played like a Capcom game and TxST is kinda the opposite, I kinda expect that from them now.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Good on Harada. I'm not a big Tekken fan, but he's one of the few producer/directors I truly respect.

By the way, this line:
Fighting games live and die by their character rosters, everything else is just window dressing.
is totally wrong. It's not even inaccurate; it's simply wrong. Fighting games revolve around gameplay, not characters. The cast can include busty naked woman inspired by Queen's Blade (look it up), a zombie with a gilded toilet for a head, and an small, pink, pearlescent elephant on roller skates. If the game plays like hot baked ass, it will be forgotten in very short order.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
SageRuffin said:
Good on Harada. I'm not a big Tekken fan, but he's one of the few producer/directors I truly respect.

By the way, this line:
Fighting games live and die by their character rosters, everything else is just window dressing.
is totally wrong. It's not even inaccurate; it's simply wrong. Fighting games revolve around gameplay, not characters. The cast can include busty naked woman inspired by Queen's Blade (look it up), a zombie with a gilded toilet for a head, and an small, pink, pearlescent elephant on roller skates. If the game plays like hot baked ass, it will be forgotten in very short order.
I've always maintained a fighting game's gameplay is a product of said characters, not just their design, but how they control and interact with one another.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
SageRuffin said:
By the way, this line:
is totally wrong. It's not even inaccurate; it's simply wrong. Fighting games revolve around gameplay, not characters.
That's what was being implied in the first place. Characters are the lifeblood of a fighting game because they're how the player plays the game. They are the gameplay.

That's why the chess metaphor was used; Namco considers withholding characters from Tekken to be just as nonsensical as preventing chess players from being able to use knights or queens.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Grey Carter said:
SageRuffin said:

By the way, this line:
I've always maintained a fighting game's gameplay is a product of said characters, not just their design, but how they control and interact with one another.
I like to think they go hand in hand...you need one to have the other...

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
On one hand it seems Namco is observing its competitors to see how to not make thier mistakes.

On the other this annoucnement is totally not [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SarcasmMode] levelled directly at Capcom.

Jove said:
Anyway, this excites me, especially being a fan of the Tekkan series. Which also makes me even more excited for Tekkan x Street Fighter. Lets see Ryu pull off his cheep hadukan in the Tekkan engine! :D

Although i did try out SFxT and I thought it was pretty good. But because of the fact that its played in a SF (aka 2D fighting) engine, I just didnt enjoy it as much as I wanted too. In fact, I only played it because it had Tekkan characters in it. Was never a SF guy at all really.
Sorry, but you claim to be a Tekken fan yet you cant even spell its name correctly?

While im being a grammar nazi its called a Hadoken.

And speaking of the Hadoken, its the Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku (Hurricane Kick) that you should fear in Tekken x Street Fighter.