No Plans for Iron Man 4 Says Robert Downey Jr

harpere

May 20, 2014
No Plans for Iron Man 4 Says Robert Downey Jr

Was Iron Man 3 the end of the era of Tony Stark -- and Robert Downey Jr. -- dominating the Marvel movieverse?

Iron Man 3 made a nice swan song for Tony Stark, neatly wrapping up his story for the eventual exit of actor no plans for an Iron Man 4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/robert%20downey%20jr]. When asked if Downey would allow the role to be recast, the actor laughed it off, saying "I like that the idea is that it would be up to me."

With Marvel expanding its cast of movie characters, bringing in new names like Doctor Strange [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/ant-man], it's not a bad time to let Tony Stark bow out. But have we really seen the last of Stark -- even if we have seen the last of Downey? Marvel's recast roles before, but none so central as Tony Stark. With Downey signed up for two more films, we'll likely have to wait and see where Marvel decides to go with the character when his contract is at an end.

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2014/film/news/robert-downey-jr-talks-iron-man-4-1201299776/]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Needless to say, casting would be a huge mistake.

Not only is the Marvel Cinematic Universe based on the foundation of inter-movies continuity (that actor from different movies exist and interact between them in those movies), but no character seems more central to the continuity than Iron Man, in great part thanks to the iconic performance of Robert Downey... At this point, they might as well use a different character if they seriously expect to recast him.

Yes, they changed the original Hulk, but Marvel would pretty much want us to forget about Norton's Banner. Its no coincidence that movie came out at the same time as Iron Man, yet it still has no sequel, while Iron Man has two movies in "phase one".

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
They shouldn't recast Iron Man. That would be the worst thing they could do.

No, Iron Man 4 should actually be the first movie staring Rescue

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I dont doubt that we will see him again in Avengers: Age of Ultron. Even if he is off the main team.

Other than that, given how wildly successful the Iron Man movies have been i would speculate that theres no plans for an Iron Man 4, for now.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I say let his character become a side character. He can show up from time to time in other movies, but I think Iron Man as a franchise is done. You don't want him to get over exposed and then have people getting tired of him.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
Allow me to point a counter argument. Why worry about recasting Iron Man at all? What do we gain from seeing him out of armor in future continuity? We've seen the home life rise and fall of Tony Stark. Now they can just leave the suit on, and if they must continue Iron Man as a stand alone, keep him in the suit and make the movie action oriented enough that there would be no reason to get out of it. Drop Robert Downey Jr down to a voice actor, or bring him in for inside the helmet shots only.
Iron Man can step back and new heroes can take the big screen for a bit while they flush out the cosmic and supernatural branches to the MCU. Calling it now, with Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch and Vision in the game now, Iron-man steps out of the MCU for a more prominent role for Warmachine and we get a West Coast Avengers situation. All we need is for Captain America 3 to have Cap shot by Crossbones and U.S.Agent to step right up and take his shield.

Then, in my wildest dreams, we can have West Coast Avengers versus the Lethal Legion movie.

SerBrittanicus

Jul 22, 2013
I'm expecting him to die in Avengers 2 even if he has signed on for another Avengers film after that. There are plenty of other Marvel characters who can benefit from a run of movies though, so I won't be too concerned if we don't see RDJ in another standalone Iron Man movie.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
Works for me, the films sucked!

Cameos etc could be fine and as a character he's awesome but yeah...dem movies.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Awww, that's a shame. His performance as Tony Stark was top-notch, no question.

TippiestRook

Nov 29, 2013
AndrewC said:
Works for me, the films sucked!

Cameos etc could be fine and as a character he's awesome but yeah...dem movies.
Come on I agree if you think they weren't the best movies ever but there no where near Disaster Movie territory.

I hope they kill him off or pass the character down like Cap to Bucky in the comics.I hate actors being recasted unless the actor playing the character died.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I think it kind of make sense well kinda.
Ok so he no longer got the arc reactor in his chest and choose no longer be Iron Man and yet he will return in Avengers 2.
I suppose what I'm trying to say is his role will depend on the outcome of Avengers 2 (does he make a new suit without the arc or an arc built into the suit etc?

Ok sure they do mention upcoming future project but I think it's too soon to mention Iron Man future until after Avengers 2.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Armadox said:
Allow me to point a counter argument. Why worry about recasting Iron Man at all? What do we gain from seeing him out of armor in future continuity? We've seen the home life rise and fall of Tony Stark. Now they can just leave the suit on, and if they must continue Iron Man as a stand alone, keep him in the suit and make the movie action oriented enough that there would be no reason to get out of it. Drop Robert Downey Jr down to a voice actor, or bring him in for inside the helmet shots only.
Iron Man can step back and new heroes can take the big screen for a bit while they flush out the cosmic and supernatural branches to the MCU. Calling it now, with Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch and Vision in the game now, Iron-man steps out of the MCU for a more prominent role for Warmachine and we get a West Coast Avengers situation. All we need is for Captain America 3 to have Cap shot by Crossbones and U.S.Agent to step right up and take his shield.

Then, in my wildest dreams, we can have West Coast Avengers versus the Lethal Legion movie.
I'm betting we'll get the Winter Solider as Cap before the U.S Agent. Which is fine by me. Sebastian Stan has done an amazing job with the character (not to mention he still has seven movies left on his contract).

Jupiter065

Aug 12, 2008
Sounds like a tactic to try and keep RDJ's fee down. Everyone remember that whole "Not Recommended" scene from the end of Iron Man 2? Same deal.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
I actually like the idea of the Marvel continuity building to something with some finality to it, even if I'm not convinced they'll do that because gravy train. But if they did, part of that could be the original Avengers moving on/bowing out/dying and new Avengers taking up the title in some distant finale.

Give it a nice closure you never get with comics before we all become bored with the whole thing.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
It'd be nice, he played the role to perfection. But, it is likely going to be too cost prohibitive to hire him.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I suspect Downey could pull a significant fee just showing up as Stark in the occasional cameo, or just doing voice-over for the CGI Iron Man. There's really no immediate need to recast him, and I suspect it would be ill-taken by the fan base.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
A recast would be dreadful. The only reason they pulled it off with The Hulk is because he only had one movie, and that movie wasn't overly memorable. If they were to get rid of RDJ, they would either have to get rid of the Tony Stark character entirely, or give the Iron Man persona to another character, maybe even introduce Rescue, otherwise, it will be dreadful, because RDJ is Tony Stark.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
According to Forbes, RDJ is the highest-paid actor in the world. I imagine Marvel is going to squeeze out all they can out of him in the next two Avengers movies. I also imagine they won't be able to buy RDJ for another round after that. It's a shame because I think he plays the one character that cannot be recast. Maybe Thor too, tops. But Hawkeye, Hulk, Black Widow and Captain America can easily be recast.

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
Laggyteabag said:
A recast would be dreadful ... because RDJ is Tony Stark.
This about a thousand times.
Nobody in the world has the kind of charisma that absolutely matches Tony Stark's character like Robert Downey Jr, it just wouldn't be the same.
Sure, you can do a whole lot of things with makeup and special effects to get the look of Tony Stark and the likeness of RDJ, but you will never get that kind of performance from anyone but RDJ.