No Plans For Paid DLC in Super Smash Bros. 4

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
No Plans For Paid DLC in Super Smash Bros. 4

Super Smash Bros. Game Director Masahiro Sakurai is weary of the message paid DLC sends its players.

When we heard the news that Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS would be videogamer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138196-Super-Smash-Bros-Wii-U-to-receive-Mewtwo-DLC-and-more] that this is actually not the case.

Sakurai says that the team currently has "no plans" for future paid DLC, and on top of that, is weary of the message its very existence sends players.

"I appreciate that a major part of the excitement for these games come from which characters will appear in the roster, so I think fans could really enjoy DLC that could keep this excitement going," Sakurai said. "However, I think there might be criticism that we are cutting up content to sell characters one by one, or that we are adding things later that should have been there from the start."

Certainly, "adding things later that should have been there from the start" is a very common criticism gamers have of DLC, to say nothing of Capcom's infamous "Disc-locked Content" shenanigans [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.372666-Jimquisition-On-Disc-DLC-Cannot-Be-Justified].

Sakurai explained that "Creating a single fighter involves a huge investment, and we've already been giving it our all and investing a lot of work in the characters currently available."

"I think it's an incredible package in terms of the sheer amount of content in the game. But it might be that people may not understand and may think that I am not offering enough by just looking at DLC itself," he added.

As for Mewtwo, currently, the only way to obtain him is by registering a copy of both versions of the game (3DS and Wii U) under the same account. It's not clear if he will be made available as a paid download at some point in the future, but Sakurai's comments suggest he won't.

Then again, Sakurai's trolling is almost infamous at this point...

Source: Videogamer [http://www.videogamer.com/wiiu/super_smash_bros_u/news/nintendo_isnt_working_on_premium_dlc_for_super_smash_bros_wii_u.html]

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
DLC? Not good apparently. Buying a copy of Smash Bros on Wii U AND 3DS for Mewtwo? no problem.

Here's a hint Nintendo, people will buy them if you release them. They seem to love the Mario Kart DLC, so as long as it's done right, and with new stages and characters in a pack, maybe it won't be so bad.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Whats dumb is I would totally pay for some extra Smash Bros characters. There's a long enough time between those games that you could dedicate a few people to just poppin out a new fighter every few months that you'd keep people interested all the way up until the next game.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I actually doubt that.

Fire Emblem: Awakening demonstrated that Nintendo isn't "above" DLC anymore, and they're the ones holding Sakurai's leash.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
Fire Emblem: Awakening demonstrated that Nintendo isn't "above" DLC anymore, and they're the ones holding Sakurai's leash.
That and the mario kart success. I hope they do because I am not buying two versions of the same game for one extra character. That's disgusting.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
dragongit said:
DLC? Not good apparently. Buying a copy of Smash Bros on Wii U AND 3DS for Mewtwo? no problem.

Here's a hint Nintendo, people will buy them if you release them. They seem to love the Mario Kart DLC, so as long as it's done right, and with new stages and characters in a pack, maybe it won't be so bad.
shintakie10 said:
Whats dumb is I would totally pay for some extra Smash Bros characters. There's a long enough time between those games that you could dedicate a few people to just poppin out a new fighter every few months that you'd keep people interested all the way up until the next game.
To be perfectly honest, not planning for DLC now doesn't mean not planning for DLC ever. The guy nearly killed himself making this game, I think he deserves a bit of a break before going back in. Not to mention the other stuff he wants to implement first like a tournament mode.

Besides, I think a planned out DLC pack a year from now will be much better than being drip fed new characters every few months. The former allows for a better balanced games (despite what people want to believe, Smash 4 is balanced in comparison to other games).

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Even if this statement is a totally untrue one, it's a good one to make to the public. It's a good public policy. It's good that it seems Sakurai believes that there is value in the "full game upon release." It gives brand loyalty.

Even if he's just saying it, at least he's on record now. Games should be full of content and not require extra purchases after they've been bought for a fulfilling and complete experience.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
You can only unlock Mewtwo by buying both games? What the fuck! That's just sick. They better make it a download later or I'm going to start lumping Nintendo with the rest of the shit heap. Fuck these crappy business startegy's, just fuck 'em.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
I'd respect this more if the only method by which Mewtwo could be obtained wasn't by owning both the 3DS and the Wii U version. Kind of sending mixed messages; they don't want people to perceive them in a negative light, but they make getting Mewtwo an unrealistic objective for many.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Mad World said:
I'd respect this more if the only method by which Mewtwo could be obtained wasn't by owning both the 3DS and the Wii U version. Kind of sending mixed messages; they don't want people to perceive them in a negative light, but they make getting Mewtwo an unrealistic objective for many.
It means Mewtwo is quite an expensive DLC character as he requires a game purchase. If you have a Wii U and not a 3DS than...well...what?

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
Rozalia1 said:
Mad World said:
It means Mewtwo is quite an expensive DLC character as he requires a game purchase. If you have a Wii U and not a 3DS than...well...what?
Exactly - that's my point. It doesn't seem right.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Mad World said:
Well, people keep going on and on about how Nintendo needs to give people incentive to buy their products. Congrats, here's one. It is perfectly reasonable as they are rewarding people for giving support.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that if you buy and register both games you also get the soundtrack as well? If that is the case, then it isn't as bad a deal than just the downloadable character.

I do understand the point he is making. DLC can look bad if announced, and making new fighting game characters as DLC can lead to some bitter people depending on the situation. On the other hand, this is one of their biggest franchises, so I can see them later after release to make DLC characters once enough copies have been sold, and they have new character ideas.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
One of the few games where I'd actually be willing to purchase DLC, and it doesn't have it.

Paradoxically, that might be one of the reasons I'd be willing to pay for it in the first place, so maybe that all works out for the best.

I guess we'll have to wait for next time to get Bayonetta...

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Super Cyborg said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that if you buy and register both games you also get the soundtrack as well? If that is the case, then it isn't as bad a deal than just the downloadable character.

I do understand the point he is making. DLC can look bad if announced, and making new fighting game characters as DLC can lead to some bitter people depending on the situation. On the other hand, this is one of their biggest franchises, so I can see them later after release to make DLC characters once enough copies have been sold, and they have new character ideas.
I believe its all the soundtracks for every Smash Bros game, not just the new ones. Its basically like a collectors edition bonus except instead of collectors edition meaning big box with extra stuff that costs a ton more, it literally means people collecting the games.

I'm down for it.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
Siliconera posted an article [http://www.siliconera.com/2014/11/20/mewtwo-will-available-paid-dlc-super-smash-bros/] that says that the Japanese website confirms that Mewtwo will be available for everyone. This contradicts what Sakurai says here, though. I'm going to need more information and confirmation in order to form any conclusions.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Nazulu said:
You can only unlock Mewtwo by buying both games? What the fuck! That's just sick. They better make it a download later or I'm going to start lumping Nintendo with the rest of the shit heap. Fuck these crappy business startegy's, just fuck 'em.
Mad World said:
Good news, Mewtwo can be bought as well: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/20/mewtwo-will-be-available-as-paid-dlc-in-smash-bros-after-all

Not that this will stop the hate train that has started.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
xaszatm said:
Nazulu said:
Mad World said:
Good news, Mewtwo can be bought as well: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/20/mewtwo-will-be-available-as-paid-dlc-in-smash-bros-after-all

That is good news. Thank you.

I didn't really want Nintendo to go on my black list where Ubisoft and friends are marked. It's annoying that they did it in the first place, but I can overlook it.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
The difference between DLC for something like Mario Kart and something like Smash Bros is that making a character for a fighting game is a lot more than just designing a character and putting him in the game.

With a kart you just make the skin and it performs like all the other karts.

With a Fighting game character you have to develop a unique moveset, and balance him with all of the other fighters and combinations of other fighters, how does he play when you're in 8 player smash, how is he in one on one, in team battle. Does one particular item give him an advantage that other characters don't get with the same item.

A lot of time adding a single character in a fighting game completely changes the entire game forcing you to alter all of the other characters as well. That is why you don't usually see individual fighters as DLC in fighting games, the mostly come with completely new edditions that patch the whole thing and alter everyone's move sets and priorities.

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
xaszatm said:
Nazulu said:
Mad World said:

People not hating Nintendo? On the Escapist? If only science could invent a way for that to happen...