Read Full Article

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Evil Smurf said:
why did Bungie split with Microsoft?
If I had to guess, probably because they wanted to do something different after 10 years.

OT: Well that's rather interesting, I'm glad that the people working on Halo love it as much as I do and aren't full of themselves.

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
343, you obviously have your heart in the right place, and I'm proud of that. Now we'll see if you've got the skill.

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
erttheking said:
Evil Smurf said:
If I had to guess, probably because they wanted to do something different after 10 years.

OT: Well that's rather interesting, I'm glad that the people working on Halo love it as much as I do and aren't full of themselves.
MS wanted more halo, and Bungie wanted to do something else. They didn't want to be known as "just the Halo team".

OT: I'm intrigued with what they are going to do. Keep it too close to the originals and people will get bored and leave. Change too much, and the hardcore fans won't accept it. At least 343 is getting to start a new story. It would be worse if they were jumping in right in the middle of the series.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Now that they've done what they had to and made one that feels like another Halo game, I really hope they actually evolve the series some with Halo 5. It's been fairly stagnant since 2001, with new features rarely being all that major (the biggest I can think of is jetpacks). In many ways, shooters today are better than ten years ago, and I think for 343's second outing into the franchise they should be willing to take more risks to bring it forward where Bungie never did.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. I'm not saying they should've done that with Halo 4. Proving they could do a game like Bungie was exactly what they needed to do this time around.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I've been to 434 Kirkland Ave, it is Bungie's old building. It use to be an old grocery store or Ace Hardware, I can't remember it been so long since I was told that. When my friends who worked at Bungie told me they moved to their new offices, I assumed they sold that building, I'm glad 343i has it, very cool place to work.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
Covarr said:
Now that they've done what they had to and made one that feels like another Halo game, I really hope they actually evolve the series some with Halo 5. It's been fairly stagnant since 2001, with new features rarely being all that major (the biggest I can think of is jetpacks). In many ways, shooters today are better than ten years ago, and I think for 343's second outing into the franchise they should be willing to take more risks to bring it forward where Bungie never did.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. I'm not saying they should've done that with Halo 4. Proving they could do a game like Bungie was exactly what they needed to do this time around.
Gotta think outside of the actual game matches. The biggest inovations they have had in halo are with the theatre mode and allowing player to build their own maps and game types in forge. There is a reason they are still the only game that gives you all three of those options: It ain't easy.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
There is a lot to explore in the Halo canon, but it seems they're so focused on Spartans rather than the human element. The ODST commercial is the best thing to come out of Halo since the series was created, and no one seems to understand why (or acknowledge that it is the best thing).

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
We still haven't gotten a game where you TRUELY get to fill the role of a Non-Spartan yet. I don't mean simply playing the character: ODST did that. But in ODST, the game didn't feel different. You didn't have shields, but you had "shields". "Endurance", I think they called it. I want a game where you don't have shields because ODSTs and Marines didn't get shields. I want a game where the enemies are harder to tackle and won't die with one melee attack because Spartans and ODSTs are not as strong as Spartans. By that logic, compensatig for accuracy reduction should be harder because the weapons are going to have more of a kick to an ODST or Marine than a Spartan.

And I want them to remake Halo: Reach so that it, ya know, IS ACTUALLY KEEPING IN LINE WITH THE FREAKEN LORE!!!!

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Spartan448 said:
We still haven't gotten a game where you TRUELY get to fill the role of a Non-Spartan yet. I don't mean simply playing the character: ODST did that. But in ODST, the game didn't feel different. You didn't have shields, but you had "shields". "Endurance", I think they called it. I want a game where you don't have shields because ODSTs and Marines didn't get shields. I want a game where the enemies are harder to tackle and won't die with one melee attack because Spartans and ODSTs are not as strong as Spartans. By that logic, compensatig for accuracy reduction should be harder because the weapons are going to have more of a kick to an ODST or Marine than a Spartan.

And I want them to remake Halo: Reach so that it, ya know, IS ACTUALLY KEEPING IN LINE WITH THE FREAKEN LORE!!!!
Actually Halsey's journal cleared up any plot holes that I came across. Besides I liked the campaign.

Anyway, its clear 343 want to get the Bungie into Halo, but it's pretty damned hard to get that Bungie spirit, even if you are made up of alot of former Bungie employees.

Lets see if you got the skill.

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
Never having been an overly big fan of the series, I'm actually happy to see a developer with it's heart in the right place. They knew they had to make fans AND new players happy, and that's what they aimed to do.

I haven't played anything since Wars, but this looks like it could get me back into the series.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
ccesarano said:
There is a lot to explore in the Halo canon, but it seems they're so focused on Spartans rather than the human element. The ODST commercial is the best thing to come out of Halo since the series was created, and no one seems to understand why (or acknowledge that it is the best thing).
Which commercial are you referring to?

This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rxUOdpAliE

Spartan448 said:
How does Halo Reach not keep in line with the lore? If Bungie created the Halo Universe, and then created Reach, then what they say regarding the lore is what really happened

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Dude, her name is Kiki WOLFKILL. That is the most badass last name I have ever heard.

343 Studios is working hard. They've made a couple of iffy decisions, but I feel like they really care. Hats off.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Lionsfan said:

Yup, that's the one. Video games have so many emotions they can tell simply by being interactive. Even in horror games, even though it's just a game and you know it's a game, you don't want to go forward because you're nervous and afraid of death. Even if it just means having to hit restart!

The story told in that trailer suggests a life of fighting one giant losing battle, and doing it because there is no other choice. It's the sort of story that begs to be told in an online medium, where the player may not be able to actually "win" in the end. Where the only final result is to lose, because that's what it meant to fight the Covenant before Master Chief came around.

ODST could have had that. Instead, they gave it a big nice happy ending.

Granted I'm both demanding a lot here and also looking for something a lot of gamers don't want (or don't realize they want), but I still say the Halo universe as a lot more potential than what they're using it for.

Narcogen

Rampant.
Jul 26, 2006
Evil Smurf said:
To make games other than Halo games.

To make games for platforms other than the Xbox.

In short, to be Bungie. Whether or not they manage to do that, we'll see when Destiny comes out. Whatever it is.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
What I hear is 'we are such a cool company, like Valve, or Google'. Then they mention the canteen with space for a whole 12 people at once, out of 300?

Sounds like a shitty cubicle laden sweat-shop to me, people working 16 hour days, eating meals at their desk, having to have their family brought in to maintain contact, so the 8 hours of their own time they have left can be spent on sleep.

But it's Halo right, people will put up with all sorts of bullshit to have their name on a Halo game. 343, stop trying to invent legend around yourself to justify what Microshaft are doing, nobody knows what you guys have done before, proove it with Halo4 or shut the ferk up, that's 2 options more than your staff seem to be getting.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
ccesarano said:
Lionsfan said:

Yup, that's the one. Video games have so many emotions they can tell simply by being interactive. Even in horror games, even though it's just a game and you know it's a game, you don't want to go forward because you're nervous and afraid of death. Even if it just means having to hit restart!

The story told in that trailer suggests a life of fighting one giant losing battle, and doing it because there is no other choice. It's the sort of story that begs to be told in an online medium, where the player may not be able to actually "win" in the end. Where the only final result is to lose, because that's what it meant to fight the Covenant before Master Chief came around.

ODST could have had that. Instead, they gave it a big nice happy ending.

Granted I'm both demanding a lot here and also looking for something a lot of gamers don't want (or don't realize they want), but I still say the Halo universe as a lot more potential than what they're using it for.
Yeah I see what you mean. There's certain times that I do want to feel like an unstoppable badass when I game, but other times I want to play as someone up against the wall, who knows they're ultimately going to fail, but is still going on and fighting. There's not really anything special about them, they're just doing a job.

I thought Reach had elements of that, but the whole Super-Soldier thing took part of that away for me, as well as the characters all trying to one-up each other in terms of dramatic deaths

WW

Jan 24, 2008
THE ESCAPIST IS THE BEST PLACE EVER ^___^

EVERYONE WHO WRITES FOR IT IS EXTREMELY INTELLIGENT AND AWESOME ^_______________^

THEY ARE COMPLETELY INFALLIBLE AND I CERTAINLY WOULDN'T WANT TO HURT ANY OF THEIR FEELINGS BY POINTING OUT DISCREPANCIES, ERRORS OR POOR QUALITY COVERAGE IN THEIR ARTICLES ^___________________________^

User received a warning for this post.
I see the moderation can't take a joke and is abusing it's power.