Helimocopter

Oct 5, 2009
i think that the problem that causes red ring is largely fixed in new 360s
though i wouldnt be surprised if another problem caused the "doom dot"

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
*Chuckles*

Ok Microsoft. I have to admit, that ploy made me laugh.
I guess, technically speaking, the new system can't have RRODs.
But that makes one wonder if the newer, slimmer, 360 will have even worse heating issues (less space = more thermal energy per cubic cm), or if Microsoft spent some time redesigning the case to better cool the video card.
Im thinking they found a way to cool it better if u see theres one part of the box that is half vented

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
The term success with the first box is curious at best?
You mean the failure rate that just happens to destroy a Xbox as soon as the warranty kicks off so they must buy a new one at full price?

Oh yeah...real successful.

Reminds me of the Littermaid auto cat box. Designed to have a uncovered circut board, cat pees in it just right... drips on the board and shorts it out.
Littermaid then refuses to fix or honor the warranty because "Your animal used our product incorrectly."
It's a cat, peeing in a cat box...explain how it is incorrect? Oh we can't but that is our policy.

RIGHT.....

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I foresee two possibilities:
1; A message will appear on the screen instructing you to put your fingers in your ears and scream "LALALALALA!" at the top of your lungs.
2; Microsoft are treating it like the 'Check Engine Light' on your car, they just put a sticker over it.

I actually thought they had fixed the problem. Shows what you get for thinking I suppose.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
John Funk said:
In all fairness to Microsoft, we don't know that they didn't ACTUALLY fix the RROD - the new 360 seems to have much better ventilation, and the latest chipsets seemed much less prone to the error. So it's possible that it won't fail any more than the PS3 or Wii, now.

It's still hilarious that they did this, though.
That better be the case cause if the whole thing is "lets put a blanket over it and that makes it go away" approach than I will be very disapointed.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
Jumplion said:
Mako SOLDIER said:
Have you not don'w ANY research on the new chipset? They pretty much have fixed the problem. This article just makes it look like escapist are developing an anti MS bias.
So. What?

You don't remove warning lights. You don't remove a stop sign from a street because it's been repaved and less people crash. If they had "fixed" the problem, then why haven't they done one of those announcement thingamagis that companies do? I'd say the extinction of the RRoD is a pretty big deal for MS.
You're missing the point. This is not the same as removing a stop sign.

The E74 error was once just another red-ring error. They just changed the error message. This is the same thing. They've pretty much eliminated the 'classic' red-ring error and so they've removed the red lights in order to distance the brand from them. There will still be faults, and there will still be error messages, but they will not be down to the x-clamp anymore unless someone covers the side vent on the 360 Slim. I think it's fairly reasonable to base the supposed eliomination of the problem on normal use by people who aren't idiots. By that rationale, the RROD has been fixed. Companies don't put out a press release when they fix a hardware problem. Name one instance where that has happened. What information they do allow to be leaked has shown a consistent improvement with each chipset revision. They don't need to make a song and dance about it, because the people with any knowledge of the hardware already know what changes have been made.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
jarredtheawesome said:
Atmos Duality said:
*Chuckles*

But that makes one wonder if the newer, slimmer, 360 will have even worse heating issues (less space = more thermal energy per cubic cm), or if Microsoft spent some time redesigning the case to better cool the video card.
Im thinking they found a way to cool it better if u see theres one part of the box that is half vented
Plus, the new heat sink and fan are both MUCH bigger. The new heat sink looks like a beast to be honest, and both things are right under that large vent that you mention. Unless someone covers the vent up, there's no way that thing is overheating.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Mako SOLDIER said:
You're missing the point. This is not the same as removing a stop sign.
You're right. It's the same as turning off a "Check Engine" light.

The E74 error was once just another red-ring error. They just changed the error message. This is the same thing. They've pretty much eliminated the 'classic' red-ring error and so they've removed the red lights in order to distance the brand from them. There will still be faults, and there will still be error messages, but they will not be down to the x-clamp anymore unless someone covers the side vent on the 360 Slim. I think it's fairly reasonable to base the supposed eliomination of the problem on normal use by people who aren't idiots. By that rationale, the RROD has been fixed.
I admit, I may have jumped the gun with them removing the warning lights, depending on how they intend to replace them. But I don't care if a problem only has a .0001% of happening, the fact that Microsoft was trying to sneak this new design change to make it look as if the RRoD is now no longer a problem, without even saying how troubleshooting will work now, is sad in itself.

Companies don't put out a press release when they fix a hardware problem. Name one instance where that has happened. What information they do allow to be leaked has shown a consistent improvement with each chipset revision. They don't need to make a song and dance about it, because the people with any knowledge of the hardware already know what changes have been made.
Perhaps a "press release" wasn't what I was thinking of, a blog post or an announcement on a website would suffice. Sony did that with the March 31st issue, and one or two on the Yellow Light of Death along with maintenence plannings. I don't know what Microsoft do on their blogs/forums, but so far I haven't seen anything regarding the supposed "elimination" of the RRoD to warrant this change.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I've heard that it's mostly the pro consoles that red ring (with a 70 something % chance of red ringing) and that it's actually the PS3 that has the highest failure rate.

Now on topic, is there someway all of us can contact Microsoft and tell them to just fix the damn thing??

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Quiet Stranger said:
I've heard that it's mostly the pro consoles that red ring (with a 70 something % chance of red ringing) and that it's actually the PS3 that has the highest failure rate.

Now on topic, is there someway all of us can contact Microsoft and tell them to just fix the damn thing??
Where have you heard that? I've heard that the PS3 has anywhere between a .1% and 3% or so failure rate. And I'm pretty sure a 70% failure rate is atrocious, give them some credit :p

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Jumplion said:
Quiet Stranger said:

Where have you heard that? I've heard that the PS3 has anywhere between a .1% and 3% or so failure rate. And I'm pretty sure a 70% failure rate is atrocious, give them some credit :p
Well I think the guy who told me meant like, more PS3s have failed then Xbox 360s (he works at The Source by Circuitcity)

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
Jumplion said:
Quiet Stranger said:

I've never had a problem with my PS3, I just know they've made some bad updates and mistakes with software. However, i did go through a new xbox every 2-3 months when they started sending me "refurbished" 360's. The elite i got now hasn't had any problems nor my Pro i have had since 2008 so i'm relatively happy.

As for Microsoft's solution to the 3 red rings. Brilliant. This has solved this issue with 100% success on the new Slim. Whoever brainstormed this got a big bonus i hope.

The Slim looks like its designed better as it is, when i read that i could only see the smirk on the guys face. There has to be some humor in that microsoft guy.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
If MS made a car and it was infamous because the carburetor routinely burst into flames, they'd solve the problem by making it impossible to look under the hood.

Edit - Oh and by the way, Kotaku says it does have a "oh oh" sign, the power symbol turns red.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
jarredtheawesome said:
Just so. And about time too.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
I picked mine up this morning, and so far it has impressed me :)

The biggest difference for me are the buttons/whisper quiet noise. No longer will the thing scare me by the way it sounds...unless it eats a disc.

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
Mako SOLDIER said:
jarredtheawesome said:
Atmos Duality said:
*Chuckles*

Plus, the new heat sink and fan are both MUCH bigger. The new heat sink looks like a beast to be honest, and both things are right under that large vent that you mention. Unless someone covers the vent up, there's no way that thing is overheating.

Dont worry people will find a way to screw it up then blame it all on Microsoft again