No "Red Ring of Death" for the New 360

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
No "Red Ring of Death" for the New 360

Microsoft guarantees that owners of the new Xbox 360 "slim" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101335-E3-2010-Xbox-360-Slim-Announced-Shipping-Today] will never have to deal with the heartbreak of the infamous "Red Ring of Death" - It got rid of the Red Ring.

Ever heard of the "Company Car Repair Kit?" It works like this: You're driving down the road in a company vehicle (or any car that's not your responsibility) when you hear a horrible noise emanating from under the hood. "My goodness, what is that horrible noise emanating from under the hood?" you ask yourself. "This calls for the Company Car Repair Kit!" And then you turn the radio up so loud that you can't hear the noise anymore.

It's a tried-and-true approach that Red Ring of Death [http://www.microsoft.com] on the original 360, the company has moved to ensure that it won't happen again on the new 'Box by getting rid of the little red warning lights.

"Now obviously, the box has a way to communicate to you if something has happened...but yes, three red lights are not part of our sequence of telling somebody something is wrong," Microsoft Game Studios Corporate Vice President Phil Spencer told IGN [http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1099382p1.html]. "Obviously if you look at the success rate of the original 360s, we're very proud of both the way the company stepped up to support the customers that we had as well as the success rate we have with the box today. I think we've learned a lot. That learning has gone into the development of this [new] box."

Microsoft did not comment on a rumor that the new Xbox 360 will "communicate" with its owners by setting their houses on fire.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
Is Microsoft going with the 'Out of sight, out of mind' approach to the Red Ring of Death? Because... That's a pretty stupid way to go.

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
lol instead of the red ring of death. you cant poke the damn thing while its on or itll seizure

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I guess only time will tell if this statement is folly or truth. I'm guessing the former is more likely

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Haven't you heard? In order to improve publicity, whenever there's a critical error with one of the new XBox360s, butterflies will fly out as a warning.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
*repeated facedesks*

JUST FIX THE PROBLEM!

Then again, this is Microsoft...

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
That's pathetic, but very funny. It seems almost like a joke, actually.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Haha, I wonder if the rumor will turn out to be true. I guess they just wanted to get rid of the red ring of death because it has become a symbol of Microsoft having a bad day.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
The word "misguided" comes to mind.

Hey Microsoft... The costumer's problem wasn't the actual red ring... Was the console they paid good money for getting a very premature death... Might wanna worry about the latter rather than the former.

Danallighieri

Jun 3, 2010
Okay, that made me lol, "Red ring of death? No such thing! Now it'll just be the silence of doom when it dies!"

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
My new 360 seems to be having an issue!

MS> Well, is it displaying nothing?

Yes! It's doing nothing!

MS> Did you turn it on or is it showing you no error?

What?

MS> Are you seeing no errors?

Well, I'm not seeing an error, but it doesn't seem to be turning on!

MS> Have you tried turning it on first and then checking for a lack of errors?

Oh, well now that you mention it. It does seem to show no errors when I turn it on...

MS> Thank you for contacting Microsoft tech support, please fill out this short survey as to how we helped you today!

There's no survey!

MS> Well, we've found people don't like to fill out surveys, so we've made it less annoying.

But... it's not there. I'll be going now...

MS> Please fill out the customer satisfaction survey before you leave! Sir? Are you there?

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Hey, I have a great idea! Maybe instead of annoying us with a red ring of light the console could instead annoy us by commenting on its failure via laughing at the owner in an endless obnoxious loop.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
In all fairness to Microsoft, we don't know that they didn't ACTUALLY fix the RROD - the new 360 seems to have much better ventilation, and the latest chipsets seemed much less prone to the error. So it's possible that it won't fail any more than the PS3 or Wii, now.

It's still hilarious that they did this, though.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
So, instead of fixing the problem, they are going to get rid of the system that tells the customer that there is a problem with the console? This just smacks of covering up arses and seems to confirm that the Slim won't be problem free [/conspiracy theorist]