No Right Answer: Best Comic Book Universe Ever

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Best Comic Book Universe Ever

This one's been on the list of lists for some time now, but we've been holding off until our 99th episode to show it. Why 99? It makes as much sense as comic continuity.

Watch Video

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
I'm gonna go with Warp Graphics actually. One of the first comics I was hooked on was Elfquest. It is NOT very well known, but it is a FANTASTIC story with a universe SO well developed and full of great characters that its a complete shame that it doesnt have more attention than it does.

The story actually goes somewhere its just not another issue of spider-man beating up dock ock.
The characters are great, and their relationships are real and interesting.
The universe is brilliant and beautiful.

The reason its not been too big, is probably because of occasional frivolous sexual content, which is not at all exploitative, but simply a great part of the lore.

Superheroes are awesome, but Elfquest has tackled so many different subjects in a mature and interesting fashion...its just superb. Family, sex, loss, longing, the passage of time...aaaaaaaah its soooo good.

If anyone has not read this fantastic fantasy epic I wholeheartedly recommend it. Its even available for free these days on their website. GO READ!

Between marvel and DC....DC. Superman and Batman just cannot be beat.

Kazam24a

Oct 17, 2011
My Fav between Marvel and DC has always been DC... Not sure why just preference i guess...

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
If I have to pick from the Big 2, I'd go with Marvel. Better characters almost always translates to better story

All publishers in play? Image Comics

Bomb Queen, Chew, Invincible, The Walking Dead, to name just a few

coheedswicked

Mar 28, 2010
I'm gonna have to go with Marvel, mainly for the reason that Chris pointed out about how the story arcs and events tend to flow into one another which gives the universe its own sense of history

Antwerp Caveman

Jan 19, 2010
Image Comic's: Invincible universe. It's just that awesome.
I have so many comics here in front of me. But as far as a universe is concerned: that one takes the cake.

Runner up: Preacher, because it's basically not fiction.

Thistlehart

Nov 10, 2010
tzimize said:
Snippity-doo-dah
I remember Elfquest. There was a copy of one of the compilations in my hometown library. I read the f**k out of that, but didn't understand much since I was young, stupid, and kinda sheltered.

Thanks for reminding me of that. I'll see if I can get my hands on some copies.

OT:
As to the Great Debate... it's a hard call for me as I'm not as steeped in the lore of either, so I'll go for a simple anecdotal call.

Marvel. Because HULK. Why?

Planet Hulk.

Superman may be able to tow a planet (with help from GL), but Hulk kept one from exploding with his bare hands by pulling tectonic plates around. After that the story made me shed manly tears for what happened to him.

No other comic book has done that to me.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
It's a really tough call, because they both have aspects that I adore. However, I have to give it to Marvel. It just seems like more of a cohesive unit. Especially now that Marvel itself has a movie studio, whereas DC is still largely tied to the whim of Warner Bros.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
In the '90's I was all about Marvel. Lately, I'm slightly more in the DC camp. I mean, they have Animal Man and Ambush Bug! Animal Man is one of the most unique titles in comics. Ambush Bug is just a riot whenever he shows up.

And have you guys read 52? Not The New 52, but the series from '06? Absolutely phenomenal. And most of the major players are out of the picture for the entire run, so if you ever had an issue with DC characters being too godlike, that is not applicable to this story. And I think it helped cement Black Adam as one of my favorite villains.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
I... don't actually read comics very much at all. I'd probably say Marvel though, because... because... um...

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
DC is the better at the moment with the new 52.
But marvel could very well pull something.
Movie wise Marvel stomps DC into dust until DC can get live action movies right.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Best Comics? I would say Manga. Japanese Comics.

Sorry, but when you have to pay 50 bucks for a comic that isn't even 5 years old at this point, just to understand the story or to "collect" them, it is fucking sad.

Thankfully, Manga isn't expensive. I can buy 27 VOLUMES for less than 200 bucks. It costs 30 to 40 bucks to buy a single volume for most Comics, while I can spend 10 to 15 for a single volume. Cheaper if I buy in bulk.

I would love to read comics, if they weren't so fucking expensive for not reason other than people are stupid and putting way to much worth in a couple coloured pages of dudes/gals punching each other.
What comic that's less than 5 years old costs 50 bucks? If you're not a collector and just want to read the story, go for trade paperbacks. The pricing is pretty comparable to manga collections. 10-15 bucks is pretty much the standard for 1 volume. The only collections I've seen cost around 30 were hardcover deluxe editions.

Fifty-One

Sep 13, 2010
I have to go with Marvel. As a kid, I always found that the Marvel Universe (or maybe the characters) was more inviting to new readers. You can feel free to disagree with this. I'm basing this opinion on recollections from when I was 13 years old. Plus, at a young age, with limited spending, I could only afford to invest myself in one comic book and that was X-Men.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
I'd say Marvel. Despite how awesome Batman is, he's only one character and is outshone by the many brilliant Marvel characters.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Best Comics? I would say Manga. Japanese Comics.

Sorry, but when you have to pay 50 bucks for a comic that isn't even 5 years old at this point, just to understand the story or to "collect" them, it is fucking sad.

Thankfully, Manga isn't expensive. I can buy 27 VOLUMES for less than 200 bucks. It costs 30 to 40 bucks to buy a single volume for most Comics, while I can spend 10 to 15 for a single volume. Cheaper if I buy in bulk.

I would love to read comics, if they weren't so fucking expensive for not reason other than people are stupid and putting way to much worth in a couple coloured pages of dudes/gals punching each other.
The events from Avengers Disassembled to Siege including the X-Men specific ones (Manifest Destiny, Second Coming, Schism, etc) and the Young Avengers and Runaways series cost me a somewhere between 1-1.5K, nearly 200 TPBs.

OT:
Marvel, like Chris said the overarcing story just ties in so well with everything going on around it, and to Kyle's point about Batman dying and Dick Grayson taking over, when Captain America died, Bucky Barnes took over and we got to see what a more hardened Cap would be like. Marvel also has great stories like The Runaway. The final point for Marvel in my book is X-Force, the mutant black-ops hit squad.

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
As far as the "big two" are concerned, I have a deep love for Marvel. You guys hit the nail on the head when you said that they are flawed, and that's what makes them so great. These ARE modern gods, and they squander and screw-up just like everyone else; it's "real", and it's refreshing to see.

And, let's face it, Marvel has 'The Punisher'. Nothing beats 'The Punisher'.

theETG

Oct 2, 2012
Between the big 2; while I do greatly appreciate Marvel's characters and stories and can respect how in many ways they are more fleshed out than DC's, growing up on the Batman Animated Series as well as Justice League has conditioned me to enjoy their stories more.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
I really prefer Marvel's offshoot stuff (Runaways is a perfect example, as were the Noir alternative universe comics), and the main core storyline is really interesting, but I've sort of shifted over to their Ultimates universe for a consistent story, as it just seems to have a smaller, more managed and yet risky scale to it than the main thing.

DC... I like DC, I really do. It's got a far better track record with animated films and TV than Marvel has had (and yet somehow YJ is cancelled while Ultimate Spider-Man carries on...) but it just seems so out-there at times.

My one issue with the video -- you can't argue that Marvel "never changes" when you could say the -exact- same thing about DC. It's because of DC always going back to the status-quo that my dad stopped reading their stuff. Both are known for doing this but DC in particular just can't come to grasp with a single continuity, instead constantly changing it's stuff and making new settings and then reverting and... I honestly lost track after a certain point. And when they actually did try some over-arching stuff, like Paralax, people hated it. I have to imagine there were some positively received ones but... it just seems so damn confusing. And why does every universe in DC have to connect with every other one? They even did this in Injustice: Gods Among Us even though everything they said beforehand was that "yeah, it's just this universe, and those who die will die". Instead, what we got was a clean up crew of the regular heroes, ripping off a JLA Animated series episode from way back when.