No Right Answer: Best Cult Classic Ever - From Evil Dead to Rocky Horror

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
Dead Century said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Christ_Vampire_Hunter

Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter. So bad, it's good. Not sure if many people have heard of it, though.

Chris Pranger

Aug 31, 2011
Spot1990 said:
Well this is stupid, this shouldn't be a No Right Answers episode because there is a right answer and it's The Princess Bride. You want quotes? Oh we got fucking quotes. If the definition of a cult classic is a movie that few have seen but all who have love then The Princess Bride fits perfectly. The Princess Bride is the right answer.

ZZoMBiE13 said:
(Disclaimer: just so I don't get quoted and told to chill out or moderated for "threatening" an Escapist videographer or somesuch, that was a joke. I have no intentions of hunting down someone for a differing opinion)
Believe me when I say I am not kidding. If Chris ever says that I will find him and poop on his doorstep. But I live in Ireland and that's a long flight, I wouldn't want to make that round trip so it'd be cool if he could like let me crash on his couch for a day or two or something.
We also debated The Princess Bride off camera and decided that it, too, was too ever-present in the current pop culture landscape, partly owing to our shared drama experiences proving that high schoolers can and will (annoyingly) quote the entire movie to you as you watch it, especially when you ask them not to.

Also, yes, you may sleep on my couch but please just give me a nard punch. With the new baby, we'll have plenty of poop to deal with and I'd like to keep that doorstep clean for when people need to stop by to punch my nards.

D.Strormer

Oct 22, 2008
What!? The best of all cult classics didn't get mentioned!? INCONCEIVABLE!
Seriously though, it's Princess Bride.

Also, congratulations to Chris. Always good to hear a nerd has spawned. It means a new generation of geeklets to keep intelligent conversation and pop culture (or anti-pop culture as the case may be) minutiae alive. Good on ya!

*EDIT: And apparently I really should read the comments before I post. Ninja'd. ^_^

Chris Pranger

Aug 31, 2011
Thunderous Cacophony said:
I was going to say Kung Fu Hustle, but a bit of Googling tells me that it actually did pretty well in terms of box office. And Donnie Darko is the definition of a cult classic in that most people hate it, and few rabidly love it. The problem is that being the archetypical cult classic doesn't make it a good movie, practically by definition.
I love Kung Fu Hustle and made a point of snagging a Bluray copy recently, only to learn that while the movie is awesome, it's shockingly offensive to gay people. Oh the early 2000s! What a stranger time you were!

Chris Pranger

Aug 31, 2011
D.Strormer said:
What!? The best of all cult classics didn't get mentioned!? INCONCEIVABLE!
Seriously though, it's Princess Bride.

Also, congratulations to Chris. Always good to hear a nerd has spawned. It means a new generation of geeklets to keep intelligent conversation and pop culture (or anti-pop culture as the case may be) minutiae alive. Good on ya!
Dan's the first of us to sire an heir, then me, and Kyle is next moth. We're the most virile show on The Escapist!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Out of those mentioned in the show, Rocky Horror wins. Why? Because Tim Curry, that's why. :p

pranabowjake

May 21, 2009
If you haven't watched Thankskilling yet, do yourself a favor and sit through it. Nothing's better than a necromanced, bloodthirsty turkey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-9gAzKSCQ8

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
ive watched evil dead, it was awfully boring, im gonna force myself to watch the sequels but im gonna give it the benefit of the doubt...

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Pulp Fiction is the ultimate cult classic. Did terrible in theatres, but somehow still revitalized John Travolta's career. It has so many big stars in it, but nobody watched it until 5 years after it originally came out. Now, you've got Samuel L. Jackson memes all over the internet.

A specific cult classic would be Ong Bak. The only people I know who have watched this movie are involved in martial arts of some sort, and it's the reason I started practicing muay thai. Look for the star of Ong Bak, Tony Jaa, in the upcoming Fast & Furious 7, and be amazed.

InsaneFool said:
What no Boondock Saints? You know - the one movie that never had a sequel.
Are you denying that it had a sequel because the sequel was so awful? The sequel's big fuck-up was that it was missing Willem Dafoe.

InsaneFool

The Dude Abides
Jan 18, 2010
rasputin0009 said:
InsaneFool said:
What no Boondock Saints? You know - the one movie that never had a sequel.
Are you denying that it had a sequel because the sequel was so awful? The sequel's big fuck-up was that it was missing Willem Dafoe.
The sequel - which never happened - would have suffered because it was trying too hard recapture the lightning in a bottle that was the original - if it happened at all, which it didn't.