No Right Answer: Best Disney Villain Redux

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Once again, wrong. The Emperor/Darth Sidious is the best Disney villain. I understand why he did not win though, he's an alien and this video is racist :p

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Just this morning, by pure coincidence, I was thinking about how Gaston from Beauty and the Beast, of all the villains in major Disney movies, is probably the most unlikeably creepy villain. To use part of a discussion started by Moviebob on Twitter, most Disney villains may be evil, but their goals are usually either aquiring power (political or otherwise) or being bad just for being bad (Maleficent). In BatB, Gaston's motivation is to have Belle all to himself. Because it's Disney, it's never made to be anything more explicit other than Gaston having Belle as basically a trophy. However, the creepy subtext is still undeniable.

This may not make him the best villain, but it sure makes him the most despicable.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Also, on a sort of unrelated note, Esmeralda definitely sent me mixed messages about the general "look" of gypsies.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Also, I would throw in Lotso from Toy Story 3, but maybe that's better saved for a best Pixar villain debate.

McFazzer

Apr 22, 2012
Does Darth Vader count as a Disney Villain now? Because if so it's him. (I also like Dr Facilier because voodoo, don't mess with it fools!)

Bobbety

May 16, 2011
Honorable mentions to Chernabog and The Horned King for being pure evil... Also this:

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Great use of captions in the pictures! Dan had me laughing all the way through his description of Frollo at the House of Mouse, and that spit-take was epic! Even I can't decide who should have won!

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Malifecent has more swagger though, there's a certain class to her that Frolo just does not have. Besides, Frolo loses points from being just another evil religious guy, and we've had enough of those in real life

Pickapok

Eater of Doughnuts
May 17, 2011
Am I the only one who noticed that they mistakenly labeled Despicable Me as a Dreamworks film?

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
They should go ahead and do best Pixar villain at some point. I mean c'mon, there are so many great choices to choose from.

Hopper, Stinky Pete, Randall, Syndrome, O.T.T.O., Charles Muntz, Lotso Huggins, Axlerod, and I mean those are just the ones with real villains, not counting general antagonists like Sid, Skinner, Dr. P. Sherman (or Darla) Anton Ego, Fergus, or Hardscrabble.

And for the record, I think Hades should have been eligible for this contest. I don't know anyone who watched Hercules and didn't like Hades more than the titular character. He's just so much more fun and lively. Yeah he doesn't have a song, but neither does Maleficent

BomberJacket

Dec 7, 2013
RTR said:
Just this morning, by pure coincidence, I was thinking about how Gaston from Beauty and the Beast, of all the villains in major Disney movies, is probably the most unlikeably creepy villain. To use part of a discussion started by Moviebob on Twitter, most Disney villains may be evil, but their goals are usually either aquiring power (political or otherwise) or being bad just for being bad (Maleficent). In BatB, Gaston's motivation is to have Belle all to himself. Because it's Disney, it's never made to be anything more explicit other than Gaston having Belle as basically a trophy. However, the creepy subtext is still undeniable.

This may not make him the best villain, but it sure makes him the most despicable.
I find Moviebob's insights especially interesting in the case of Judge Frollo. His motivations are different from the vast majority of his peers in the House of Mouse. Frollo doesn't want power; he already has power. He's also not being bad for the sake of it because he thinks he's the good guy. Frollo's twisted moral compass is what makes him such a compelling villain to me. And his position on the gypsies in the movie isn't completely indefensible. The Court of Miracles (a large gypsy community) counts among its members thieves, murderers, smugglers, and fraudulent beggars. In a different movie, Clopin (the gypsy ringleader) could easily have been a villain in his own right.

Speaking more abstractly, Frollo represents a lot of real-world issues including bigotry, zealotry, autocracy, and the acceptable use of force. He also contrasts quite well with the Archdeacon and Quasimodo with regards to religion. While the Archdeacon advocates mercy and sanctuary and Quasimodo sees even unrequited love as a miracle, Frollo's faith comes primarily from fear of damnation.

Maybe he's just too real to be a classic Disney villain, but I love him as a nontraditional one, and I'd love it if in the future they'd experiment with villains more like him.

Number-14

Dec 13, 2010
Maleficent was the master mind behind all evil things in Kingdom Hearts

Point 1 for Maleficent

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Darth Vader: Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father."

Luke: He told me enough. He told me you killed him!

Vader: I am your father.

Luke: No!!!

Frolo: Damned Jedi...*throws them both down pit*

...Yeah, that's the image I get after this episode.