No Right Answer: Best Dreamworks Film Ever

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Best Dreamworks Film Ever

The Pepsi to Pixar's Coke, Dreamworks has put out some quality films in their history. Which one takes the computer generated cake?

Watch Video

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I would say Shrek is indeed the quintessential Dreamworks Animation movie. Since it's the one that kicked off the horrid era of animated movies filled with celebrities that suck at voice acting, pop culture references, and snarkiness.

I still damn that movie to hell for it.

Bloodtrozorx

Jan 23, 2012
03:18 Loose's Weight, still laughs fat.

Should be "loses" (I think)

Nitpicking done. Good points all around. I'm going Shrek due to a personal dislike of Jack Black.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Shrek 2 is the best Dreamworks film but Kung Fu Panda 1/2 and How to Train Your Dragon are the best films that Dreamworks have made.

Kung Fu Panda is too genuine in it's admiration of Kung Fu and the style of it's film to be really Dreamworks. It doesn't have the snark to the same levels of Shrek.

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
First of all, how to train your dragon is terrible. It missed the entire point of the book and turned it into (comparatively) another bland movie that's just like every other kid movie. Secondly, Rise of the guardians. It's Avengers with holiday characters...the easter bunny has a legion of easter islandish warrior statues, the sandman kicks ass and the entire belief system basically makes this the closest thing to a good Terry Pratchett movie we are ever going to see.

El Portero

Mar 14, 2010
Kung Fu Panda is light years beyond Shrek. Hell, even Shrek 2 is better than Shrek. It doesn't matter anyway because How to Train Your Dragon renders this entire debate moot.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
As much as I like Kung Fu Panda (and hate Shrek), How to train you Dragon is the best dreamworks movie for me. Also Megamind was so much better than all of the Shrek movies.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
See Kyle looks like a Kung Fu Panda to me and Chris looks like a Shrek, just saying.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
You mention How to Train Your Dragon, but nothing about Madagascar, Chicken Run, or Road to El Dorada? For shame

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Obviously they never saw How to train your dragon. They're lying if they said they did :p

franksands

Dec 6, 2010
Zorg Machine said:
First of all, how to train your dragon is terrible. It missed the entire point of the book and turned it into (comparatively) another bland movie that's just like every other kid movie. Secondly, Rise of the guardians. It's Avengers with holiday characters...the easter bunny has a legion of easter islandish warrior statues, the sandman kicks ass and the entire belief system basically makes this the closest thing to a good Terry Pratchett movie we are ever going to see.
I really think Rise of the Guardians is their best work. However I think you're wrong about Pratchett movies, have you seen The Color of Magic or Hogfather? They're incredible.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Would like to see them talk about the best of Dreamworks non CGI movies, like El Dorado and Prince of Egypt

AzraelSteel

Aug 11, 2009
Bloodtrozorx said:
03:18 Loose's Weight, still laughs fat.

Should be "loses" (I think)
It should. However, I think the picture of him loosing weight is AMAZING (fat flying everywhere).

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Oh god...I nearly lost it at the "eyebrows" ref. I've got a relative giving me a funny look right now.

Four quadrant movie, huh? Based on that...does that mean MLP:FiM is a four quadrant cartoon due to its ridiculously high fanbase?

Anyways...great debate, guys! I think I can add one more instance where Kung Fu Panda fails, but this is just my opinion: Blizzard not letting Jack Black do a "Hi, I'm (celebrity name here)...and I'm a (class name here)" commercial for the Mists of Pandaria expansion.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
This is a silly argument, because the sequels of both of these films are better than the originals. The original Shrek has some serious nostalgia value for me, but I don't think it really holds up quite as well over time.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
El Portero said:
Kung Fu Panda is light years beyond Shrek. Hell, even Shrek 2 is better than Shrek. It doesn't matter anyway because How to Train Your Dragon renders this entire debate moot.
True facts, Shrek may have been a game changer but it felt a little unfinished, at least until the second one rolled around. Kung Fu Panda on the other paw is just awesome, it has alot of variety (happy, sad, action, slow moments) and does all of it full out.

But How to Train your Dragon is the best so pointless debate is pointless.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
This video had the funniest editing I've seen from you guys in a long time! The pictures and captions you chose were hilarious! You can never go wrong with the Dude.
I would say that Shrek 2 is the superior movie from that series, because that's the one that really took the fairy tale tropes and went to town on them. The first one had more jokes aimed at Disney itself. And the way you described the reference based humor of just pointing at something, expecting that alone to be funny, sounded like how yahtzee described references in Duke Nukem Forever: "Recognize this object and laugh, you sheep!"