No Right Answer: Best Dreamworks Film Ever

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
How to train your dragon gets my vote, but I can't deny I'm exactly impartial when dragons are involved. I don't have this avatar for nothing, after all.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Unpopular opinion alert.

Everything Dreamsworks has done that isn't Shrek-related sucks.
Everything Pixar has done sucks.

You will never convince me otherwise, so don't even bother arguing with me about it.

I hate CG animation, I hate family friendly humor, I hate emoting faces, I hate robots, I hate puns.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Personally if I made a list (because I thought shrek in retrospect well it still good as a movie, but not exception and i didnt care for kung fu panda at all) of my favorites and ones i thought were best, it would probably go:

1) How to Train Your Dragon
2) Prince of Egypt
3) Road to El Dorado
4) Antz
5) Megamind

And shrek would probably wind oout the bottom ten at around 8 or so.

though i will say if i had to sit through four kung fu panda movies that go steadily down hill (and if i actually liked the movie in the first place) I'd be as apathetic to it as I am towards shrek.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Of course I will pick Kung Fu Panda, but I love both those films. However I admit I cannot stand much of Shrek anymore. I only like the first movie, and I think that franchise and it's characters started getting obnoxious with the second. I just can't stand the pop-culture bullshit. That's probably why I LOVE Kung Fu Panda; it doesn't have much of any of that (maybe none at all?).

Hyperactiveman

Oct 26, 2008
It's obviously Over the Hedge guys.

I mean seriously that movie had everything, all star cast, actual character development, actual perspective ranging from the characters point of view, epically brilliant and non-stop gags from start to finish, actually entertaining for the WHOLE family and it only needed ONE movie.

I never laughed harder at an animated movie and was never so moved by a movie since The Iron Giant.

Yes Shrek (1) was a great starter movie for the Dreamworks' ladder to fame and it's really good, it's just too slowed down and only really fun for the kids. Plus Eddie Murphy is not funny, just annoying as shit.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Assassin Xaero said:
I want to go watch Kung-Pow: Enter the Fist now. Thanks for that.
You should be thankful, that movie is awesome. So is Kung Fu Hustle. Two awesome movies that are just bonkers.

Also, have to agree with the "Why no mention of Road to El Dorado and Chicken Run." Those movies are the best. Period.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
franksands said:
Zorg Machine said:
I really think Rise of the Guardians is their best work. However I think you're wrong about Pratchett movies, have you seen The Color of Magic or Hogfather? They're incredible.
I loved Hogfather (I think mostly because Death is one of my favourite characters, along with Vimes), but I thought Colour of Magic was pretty meh, and Going Postal was terribly dull, even despite the presence of Charles Dance as Vetinari.

DeeWiz

Aug 25, 2010
Wow, ignore this I got confused since they both have rides next to each at Universal.
Despicable Me - Why has no one mentioned this!?
Yes I'd probably agree that HTTYD is the best but Despicable Me is a tie or at least a close second.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
Firefilm said:
I'm just trying to say it was deliberate, but if the joke has to be explained, then it's not funny, so you still win!
Dan responded to something I wrote! Directly!

Now I'm going to comb over every syllable of their videos to find more minuscule things to point out!

Seriously, though, I could have gone either way on that line. They're both iconic lines spoken by iconic characters, and having both recalled to mind in a single stroke is like a bonus for me!

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Zorg Machine said:
First of all, how to train your dragon is terrible. It missed the entire point of the book and turned it into (comparatively) another bland movie that's just like every other kid movie. Secondly, Rise of the guardians. It's Avengers with holiday characters...the easter bunny has a legion of easter islandish warrior statues, the sandman kicks ass and the entire belief system basically makes this the closest thing to a good Terry Pratchett movie we are ever going to see.
Sorry man, but you're just wrong.

I've never read the book, and I'm pretty sure thats why you dont like it. Its loosely based on the book. Which means there will be changes.

There are plenty of things awesome about HTTYD, the supporting cast (Hiccups Father in particular), the different dragons, the combat, the music, and an extremely well paced befriending story. What really sets it apart from other animation movies though is the ending. Spoilers inc obviously.

The fact that Hiccup ends the movie, literally less, and figuratively more than he was at the start makes him probably the greatest character in animation. He loses a leg. Literally. He is crippled at the end of the movie, his actions and heroics has a very tangible and real price. However it also connects him in a very special way with his dragon (who is also "crippled). In the figurative sense he has grown as a character and found his place in the world. This bit with his leg just elevates the story, and movie above regular animated features imo. Seeing consequences like this in a kid movie is quite unusual and very awesome.

This is also why it is simply in another class than both Shrek and Kung Fu Panda.

While Rise of the Guardians was a mountain of awesome entertainment (and better than both shrek and KFP), it just doesnt have the depth and pacing that HTTYD does.

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
tzimize said:
Zorg Machine said:
Sorry man, but you're just wrong.

I've never read the book, and I'm pretty sure thats why you dont like it. Its loosely based on the book. Which means there will be changes.

There are plenty of things awesome about HTTYD, the supporting cast (Hiccups Father in particular), the different dragons, the combat, the music, and an extremely well paced befriending story. What really sets it apart from other animation movies though is the ending. Spoilers inc obviously.

The fact that Hiccup ends the movie, literally less, and figuratively more than he was at the start makes him probably the greatest character in animation. He loses a leg. Literally. He is crippled at the end of the movie, his actions and heroics has a very tangible and real price. However it also connects him in a very special way with his dragon (who is also "crippled). In the figurative sense he has grown as a character and found his place in the world. This bit with his leg just elevates the story, and movie above regular animated features imo. Seeing consequences like this in a kid movie is quite unusual and very awesome.

This is also why it is simply in another class than both Shrek and Kung Fu Panda.

While Rise of the Guardians was a mountain of awesome entertainment (and better than both shrek and KFP), it just doesnt have the depth and pacing that HTTYD does.
Yes, the fact that I read the book is the reason I hated the movie and yes, if the movie and characters went by different names I would have enjoyes the movie a lot. The reason I am angry is that now this is the closest thing to a HTTYD movie I will ever see and it bastardized the original material.

Spoilers galore for the book btw. The movie sets itself apart from the average kids movie with it's ending but the rest of the movie is changed into a steady stream of tropes and montages that it doesn't really matter. In the book, all the vikings have dragons from the start and they never fight them. The story begins with Hiccup and the rest of the young vikings going into the dragon mountain to steal dragons and become adults and it is then that Hiccup finds toothless. Toothless is the smallest, most common looking dragon anyone has ever seen and instead of being extremely awesome just because of his inherent power, hiccup and toothless become awesome because of courage and cleverness.

Another big change, in the book, all the dragons are reasonably intelligent and have their own language and Hiccup talks to toothless to try to train him. Why does this matter so much? Because Toothless is a complete and utter asshole. The character development throughout this book is extremely funny and moving and the movie got it done through a damn montage. The best character in the book (other than Stoic who is way better there) is by far the big monster dragon. In the book, he is an ancient, incredibly intelligent dragon who has slept for hundreds of years in the ocean and just wants to kill everyone because he thinks they might taste good.

It is difficult to put into words without spoiling more but nevertheless, the book was much better and now this movie has destroyed its chances of ever appearing on the movie screen. F**k you Dean DeBlois and f**k you Chris Sanders.

Edguy

Jan 31, 2011
Uhm, "How to Train your Dragon" is by far the best DreamWorks CGi movie. No competition.

..don't argue!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
So glad they talked about how to train your dragon
Thats because how to train your dragon is probably the only movie that can compare to Pixars glory and dont end up ridiculous.

TheFurryChicken

Jun 29, 2008
/rant curbed by mention of How to Train Your Dragon.

I agree that Shrek does deserve the win on this one. Shrek has a more memorable cast of characters who have better marketability. A talking donkey sidekick, or 1 of 5 interchangeable characters? A two-worlds love interest or a token sensei? A comically short antagonist or noodles?
Shrek also seems to go through quite a bit more change, both personally and environmentally. Shrek sees himself as a monster, people treat him as a monster, so he acts like a monster. By the end, he realizes he isn't a monster and shouldn't be treated as one, so he evolves. Po's change from start to finish is "I want to learn kung fu because it looks cool" to "I know kung fu, whoa." He's still a fat panda, everyone still views him as a fat panda with the only change being an affirmation of him being the dragon warrior. The populace went from "They said he's it, but I don't know..." to "Ok, he is." Not much change.
Also, in my opinion, Shrek was a better movie. It had more substance. Panda is too linear.