No Right Answer: Best Mel Brooks Movie

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
I can honestly say, after seeing all of his movies, I've never seen a Mel Brook's movie I didn't like. I didn't love all of them, but yes even Twelve Chairs I enjoyed. It's a great story and it's well acted. Not the best, but not a bad movie.

Crash_7

May 3, 2014
gridsleep said:
The opinions of the two clowns in the video are irrelevant. Mel Brooks's best film is The Producers with Zero Mostel.
I must say, I was disappointed that this didn't even get a mention. Thanks to The Producers (the original), I smile every time I hear the word concierge.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I haven't seen all of Mel Brooks's stuff, but I'd have to say Young Frankenstein is one of my favorite ones. One of my problems with Mel Brooks is that a lot of his comedy comes from just silly blatant humor. I just see it, it's silly, so I'm supposed to laugh. There's some moments of more subtle humor or severity in it, but to me, Young Frankenstein is one of the few films of his that I've seen that has a higher percentage of subtle humor and severity as opposed to just silly slap stick, and that's why I have trouble now with most of any of his stuff, because I get bored easily with silly humor. It's like the difference between Holy Grail and Life of Brian.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Airplane is the only correct answer to this debate.

People who haven't even seen the movie can reference the jokes and laugh at them.
Not sure if trolling or just unaware of directors

OT: Young Frank for me, purely for the inclusion of Marty Feldman
but use "Candygram for Mungo" and "You know... morons" all the time!

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Airplane is the only correct answer to this debate.
I... really hope you're not being serious. Because it would make me very sad if you actually were that clueless about every way you're wrong.

OT: That is a tough sell, I love both Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein fairly equally. But there's also a special place in my heart for History of the World Part I and Spaceballs. However the later stuff like Men In Tights or Dracula Dead and Loving It, while good movies did not capture the same feel as his earlier works.

Jeremy Dawkins

Oct 17, 2011
Trishbot said:
Jeremy Dawkins said:
My favourite is Dracula, Dead and Loving it. Leslie Nielsen was great, as well as Brooks taking a bigger role in this one than some of his other movies. The first time I saw the staking scene I kept laughing until I ran out of breath.
Not many people's first choice...

... But I entirely agree.

Now, let's enjoy and relive that staking scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWzzX4lLPnU

"She's ITALIAN?!"
Peter MacNicol is also perfectly cast as Renfield. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24czSl30EmA

ash12181987

Nov 9, 2010
The producers hands down.

It's about something.

It actually happened (At least, the scam From the producers that is, not Springtime for Hitler... Yet...)

It's genuinely funny without the 4th wall breaking humor from Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, and Spaceballs.

And... Zero Mostel.

Edit: Also, I want that Cary Elways "Jim Fucking Sterling son" as a background now

Edit 2: DAMN IT ALL, Now I want to watch Mel Brooks movies all night, DAMN YOU NRA!!

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
So I don't know anything about people and movies, cut me some slack. I blame Chris and crew for putting it in the background.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Have these guys not seen "The Producers"?

I love spaceballs and blazing saddles but The Producers might just be the greatest comedy ever made. Seriously, two jewish producers attempt to swindle millions of dollars from old ladies with a Hitler musical! It is so offensive that it breaks through the offensiveness barrier and comes out inoffensive on the other side.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
Personally, I think Spaceballs is one of his worst.

It's gotta be either Young Frankenstein or Blazing Saddles.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Spaceballs is always going to be my answer. Hands down. It just makes me burst out grinning everytime, especially the part with the John Hurt cameo. Just a long, hilarious trip for me.

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
I found Blazing Saddles to stand head and shoulders over Space balls.

Every moment is fucking brilliant.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Blazing Saddles is probably the one that will endure the most, but this is like comparing Monty Python sketches and trying to decide the clear winner. Spaceballs was a topical parody of something as near-universal as Star Wars. Men in Tights is the best take on Robin Hood there's ever been. The Producers is best seen on stage. Young Frankenstein and Dracula: Dead and Loving it make classic horror tropes into soft-spoken, subtle comedy. And then there's HOTWP1, and how it lovingly brought us the first art, followed immediately by the first art critics, the annual orgy and buffet (first served, first come!), and being armed with Mighty Joint, among other timelessly great jokes.

Though, I think we can all agree to be happy that none of them trolled us by throwing out Life Stinks as the best Mel Brooks movie.

ricree

Mar 8, 2014
gridsleep said:
The opinions of the two clowns in the video are irrelevant. Mel Brooks's best film is The Producers with Zero Mostel.
Yeah, wow. I'm gratified that they included History of the World: Part 1, since it's definitely in my top 3, but I can't believe The Producers never even got a passing mention.

zvate

Aug 12, 2010
The last line of that video made me laugh out loud so I guess its "I hate you" for the win

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Well, the four I felt should be under consideration all got mentioned, so...

I have no notes.