No Right Answer: Best Revenge-fueled Badass Ever

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Aptspire said:
RogueportJack said:
Oh please, take your Batmans and Kratos's and Wolverine's. The true best revenge seeking badass is none other than Edmond Dantes.
Probably one of the earliest revenge seekers :)
Also, manboobs?
How does the picture of Adam Jensen fit in to the debate? Is it because he was itching for vengeance on the mercs who messed up Sarif Industries in HR's prologue?

OT: Between the two choices of this episode, Kratos stopped being about revenge when his first game ended, then from the 2nd game on, he was a violent psychopath who'd kill everything in existence for a Klondike Bar. Wolverine has his vengeful moments, but he stands for a lot more than that now that he's also an Avenger and getting the X-Men back to their "school for the gifted" roots. Shame that Cyclops' character got shafted in the process.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
I think in order to be a proper badass, we have to want to be the character.

Kratos fails in this regard, for me anyway. He is such a reprehensible douche, I submit that he CANNOT be badass, just a freakish d_bag.

Wolverine has his moments, but he sort of gets along like the immortals from the Highlander. He's lived through so many tragedies, he can't help but try to move on. Ironically, this sort of makes him more sympathetic and badass, even if it detracts from the always-on "revenge mode."

I agree with the above posts, however. I would love to see Gutz/Gatsu and Inigo Montoya enter the debate. The only reason I would omit Batman is b/c Batman wins at everything, even "losing." Therefore, using him in an argument is unfair.

I still like that ep where they debated "two best X-Men," and Wolverine still won, not having entered, haha.

Chris Pranger

Aug 31, 2011
Darth_Payn said:
Aptspire said:
RogueportJack said:
Oh please, take your Batmans and Kratos's and Wolverine's. The true best revenge seeking badass is none other than Edmond Dantes.
Probably one of the earliest revenge seekers :)
Also, manboobs?
How does the picture of Adam Jensen fit in to the debate? Is it because he was itching for vengeance on the mercs who messed up Sarif Industries in HR's prologue?
It's because he never asked for this.

And yet I am all too willing to oblige.

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
RogueportJack said:
The Count wins by so many miles the rest might as well have not even stepped off the starting line. No contest to see here, everyone move along.

Bonus points if it's this version:

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Close, so close, but you missed one key moment at the beginning of God of War 2. Kratos starts destroying Athena's City because, reasons? Only after his rampage of the city does Zeus come to take his power away. Than Kratos goes on his blood rage because of the betrayal of Zeus of taking Kratos powers away.

From which the only reason Kratos lost his powers was because he was destroying Athena's main city, the same Athena who apologized for Kratos' suffering that she could not fix by helping him achieve god hood. Which is why fans of the GoW games know that GoW1 is the far superior game to the rest of the games. Because GoW2 made him into a thoughtless revenge seeking monster for actions he himself caused....again.

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
Negatempest said:
Close, so close, but you missed one key moment at the beginning of God of War 2. Kratos starts destroying Athena's City because, reasons? Only after his rampage of the city does Zeus come to take his power away. Than Kratos goes on his blood rage because of the betrayal of Zeus of taking Kratos powers away.

From which the only reason Kratos lost his powers was because he was destroying Athena's main city, the same Athena who apologized for Kratos' suffering that she could not fix by helping him achieve god hood. Which is why fans of the GoW games know that GoW1 is the far superior game to the rest of the games. Because GoW2 made him into a thoughtless revenge seeking monster for actions he himself caused....again.
You are kidding right? The reasons is HE'S THE GOD OF WAR!(<<<----exclamation in case the caps don't do it) He replaced the previous one who was stomping on Athena's temples in the first game.

And the Gods betray Kratos because they feared him. He killed one of theirs. They even said it in the game. That's not something I made up.

And since you clearly paid little attention to any of the GoW titles, I won't ruin the ending of 2, the middle and end of 3, any of the handheld titles, or the end of GoWA which all prove you wrong.

He's not out randomly killing people. There's reasons and the game tells you those reasons during the cutscenes. It's your own fault if you choose to ignore them.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Couldn't you argue that Frank Castle, The Punisher, could also qualify as a revenge filled bad ass?

His family died to a gangland shooting and the men who were responsible got off scott free, he snapped and basically vowed to kill criminals.

He has no desire to start another family or to move on and is constantly haunted by his past.

RatherDashing89

Jan 11, 2013
Seracen said:
I agree with the above posts, however. I would love to see Gutz/Gatsu and Inigo Montoya enter the debate. The only reason I would omit Batman is b/c Batman wins at everything, even "losing." Therefore, using him in an argument is unfair.
Also, I'd argue Batman isn't so much out for revenge--his parent's death just put crime into perspective for him and gave him impetus to move forward. Also, Batman stories put way too much focus on the death of his parents given how little it actually has to do with him. Other superheroes endured far worse tragedy, and their tragedies are much more connected to their calling. Superman being the last of his kind and Peter Parker being directly involved in his uncle's death being the two foremost examples. There's no reason the Wayne family should be anything more than a footnote in his origin story.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
Wolverine... revenge filled? Erm... I don't really see it. At all. He's not really out for revenge most of the time, he's just got a past full of violence that continually catches up to him when he isn't going out to settle something from it on his own. Compared to Kratos, it's a shut-out in Kratos' favour. Maybe even a no-hitter.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
Waaghpowa said:
Couldn't you argue that Frank Castle, The Punisher, could also qualify as a revenge filled bad ass?

His family died to a gangland shooting and the men who were responsible got off scott free, he snapped and basically vowed to kill criminals.

He has no desire to start another family or to move on and is constantly haunted by his past.
Well, he's basically the same thing as Kratos.
1. Family dies
2. Gets pissed
3. Kills shit in brutal ways

Only Kratos is even more brutal and thus more badass.

Jenvas1306

May 1, 2012
Stelio!
Stelio Kontos!

he is so badass that he became popular even he appears only so rarely as a side character...

on a different note: kratos lives to kill while wolverine just wants to be left alone. i would say kratos is more badass

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Crazie_Guy said:
RogueportJack said:
The Count wins by so many miles the rest might as well have not even stepped off the starting line. No contest to see here, everyone move along.
Seriously, you wanna talk about being consumed by revenge, having it drive every aspect of your life. This guy plots for YEARS on his revenge against the 4 rat bastards that screwed him over, and it's not just a simple "I'm gonna murder you" revenge, as with Kratos and Wolverine...no, he takes what each of them cherishes most in their life and absolutely DESTROYS it. Revenge is a dish best served with Monte Cristo. :p

As for the video itself, the last line gives me an excuse to post this:

:3

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Mr_Terrific said:
Negatempest said:

You are kidding right? The reasons is HE'S THE GOD OF WAR!(<<<----exclamation in case the caps don't do it) He replaced the previous one who was stomping on Athena's temples in the first game.

And the Gods betray Kratos because they feared him. He killed one of theirs. They even said it in the game. That's not something I made up.

And since you clearly paid little attention to any of the GoW titles, I won't ruin the ending of 2, the middle and end of 3, any of the handheld titles, or the end of GoWA which all prove you wrong.

He's not out randomly killing people. There's reasons and the game tells you those reasons during the cutscenes. It's your own fault if you choose to ignore them.
So your explanation for the way Kratos acted in GoW2, is by his actions in the games that came after GoW2. That makes no sense at all whatsoever. It's the Kingdom Hearts franchise problem again. Playing different games on different platforms to justify the actions in the previous games. There was GoW1 and GoW2 before the other games, there is no explanation between those games on the justifiable reason Kratos goes on a rampage in Rhodes. Yes he was angry at the Gods for not removing the nightmares, but that was all pent up guilt of his own making that he did not want to let go. He was blindly hating the world until his Dad had to step in, than did Kratos start focusing on killing the Gods in general. It weakens him as a great character that was built in GoW1.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
mysecondlife said:
Kratos won even before this video started.
^
This, cause there is literally NOTHING else to Kratos beyond his misplaced (after the first game) quest for revenge.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Mahoshonen said:
Like the stinger at the end, but let's be frank: The Count of Monte Cristo beats everyone else in the "revenge-seeking badass" category.
Agreed. Only The Count fucks over everyone through politics AND violence.

Although if we enter the genre of video games only, Kratos ranks nowhere near Asura. This guy gets beat down repeatedly and keeps coming back. And he has only one emotion called ANGER!!!!!! Its just one epic ragefest.

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
FoolKiller said:
Mahoshonen said:
Like the stinger at the end, but let's be frank: The Count of Monte Cristo beats everyone else in the "revenge-seeking badass" category.
Agreed. Only The Count fucks over everyone through politics AND violence.

Although if we enter the genre of video games only, Kratos ranks nowhere near Asura. This guy gets beat down repeatedly and keeps coming back. And he has only one emotion called ANGER!!!!!! Its just one epic ragefest.

Those who have not read the Count of Monte Cristo are still trying to come up with more characters and clever reasons for them.

Those that have are nodding in solemn agreement.

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
Negatempest said:
Mr_Terrific said:
Negatempest said:

So your explanation for the way Kratos acted in GoW2, is by his actions in the games that came after GoW2. That makes no sense at all whatsoever. It's the Kingdom Hearts franchise problem again. Playing different games on different platforms to justify the actions in the previous games. There was GoW1 and GoW2 before the other games, there is no explanation between those games on the justifiable reason Kratos goes on a rampage in Rhodes. Yes he was angry at the Gods for not removing the nightmares, but that was all pent up guilt of his own making that he did not want to let go. He was blindly hating the world until his Dad had to step in, than did Kratos start focusing on killing the Gods in general. It weakens him as a great character that was built in GoW1.
I still don't understand your confusion. You find out why Kratos is rampaging as soon as you boot the game. You don't need to play GoW3 to know that Kratos is the God of War. He makes wars. That's his role early in the second game. My reference to GoW1 was simply a reminder that the God of War makes wars, which is why War is stomping around Athena's temples and killing her followers. Whos knows why the gods do what they do? Once Kratos becomes the God of War after 2, it's now his job to make with the wars. Nearly every depiction of War/Ares has him waging some sort of war. Why should Kratos be any different.

Shortly after Zeus strips him of his power, Athena explains why it happened. If you played the game and payed attention, we probably wouldnt' be having this conversation...lol. Again, they fear Kratos because he did something no one has ever done. He killed a God, which put the fear in Zeus.

Also, the games are all connected telling one long story. There is your justification. It would be stupid for Kratos to start a new story without a resolution to his previous story. The notion that stories must conclude with each new platform is ridiculous.