No Right Answer: Best Revenge-fueled Badass Ever

liger03

Nov 30, 2010
Ergh, two characters that both sum up "childishly serious". Wolverine's character is fifty layers of "let's make him more gritty and realistic" in decades of comic book writing, while Kratos should've just became god-Nemesis in the second one and got it over with. I vote Asura, whose revenge-fuelled rage is literally his power source in a battle against almost every mythical being in his universe. He does this without saying "bub", even once, and without mashing an incapacitated soldier into pulp for a key in his freaking POCKET.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
RatherDashing89 said:
Seracen said:
I agree with the above posts, however. I would love to see Gutz/Gatsu and Inigo Montoya enter the debate. The only reason I would omit Batman is b/c Batman wins at everything, even "losing." Therefore, using him in an argument is unfair.
Also, I'd argue Batman isn't so much out for revenge--his parent's death just put crime into perspective for him and gave him impetus to move forward. Also, Batman stories put way too much focus on the death of his parents given how little it actually has to do with him. Other superheroes endured far worse tragedy, and their tragedies are much more connected to their calling. Superman being the last of his kind and Peter Parker being directly involved in his uncle's death being the two foremost examples. There's no reason the Wayne family should be anything more than a footnote in his origin story.
Or Kyle Ranier, for that matter. He finds his girlfriend chopped up in his fridge, and he DOESN'T go insane with the GL ring?! That is some monumental self-control there.

Blade too, plenty of jacked up crap in his life; although it's tough to recall what's canon with him anymore, haha...

Erebos

Jul 26, 2013
Where's Batman?
The Punisher?
Adam Jensen?
MAX PAYNE?

I registered just for this, cause that debate was ridiculously lacking.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Frank Castle, The Punisher is the ultimate revenge driven badass.

He's essentially Batman with testicles. He has no super powers, no incredible bank account, no genius level intellect... just insane levels of righteous vengeance. That's his power - his devotion to killing evil people for being evil. He is Chaotic Good personified.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Hell, the villain for this film is just as valid a candidate and I'd say even more so.

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Fuck me but how did I forget Indigo Montoya?

Wolverine never stood a chance against Kratos in that regard.

I think Alex Mercer from Prototype could be a contestant though. I mean, at first he just wants to know wtf is going on; but once he does realize it, he goes berserk. Of course, his preferred method of learing stuff is literally beating people to a pulp and eating them.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Wait, so the best revenge fueled badass ever has to be loveable? I call shenanigans regarding the setup.

Also, I'm not sure which is creepier, a man with claw gloves wearing a kirby shirt or a man with no shirt making my videos no longer work appropriate... haha.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Crazie_Guy said:
RogueportJack said:
Oh please, take your Batmans and Kratos's and Wolverine's. The true best revenge seeking badass is none other than Edmond Dantes.
The Count wins by so many miles the rest might as well have not even stepped off the starting line. No contest to see here, everyone move along.

Bonus points if it's this version:
This. +1 for referencing Gankutsou-one of the most badass adaptations of the Count. Only a pleb would rank somebody like Wolverine or Kratos as "great" revenge fueled characters. True, genuine, vengeance (like the Count brilliantly demonstrates) is a slow, painful, humiliating and ironic process. It's about destroying your enemy in ever sense of the word: physically, mentally, philosophically and most importantly....slowly.

Wolverine and Kratos? Please.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
Aptspire said:
RogueportJack said:
Oh please, take your Batmans and Kratos's and Wolverine's. The true best revenge seeking badass is none other than Edmond Dantes.
Probably one of the earliest revenge seekers :)
Also, manboobs?
-snip-
How does the picture of Adam Jensen fit in to the debate? Is it because he was itching for vengeance on the mercs who messed up Sarif Industries in HR's prologue?

OT: Between the two choices of this episode, Kratos stopped being about revenge when his first game ended, then from the 2nd game on, he was a violent psychopath who'd kill everything in existence for a Klondike Bar. Wolverine has his vengeful moments, but he stands for a lot more than that now that he's also an Avenger and getting the X-Men back to their "school for the gifted" roots. Shame that Cyclops' character got shafted in the process.
It is generally accepted as a way of saying "I never asked for this."