No Right Answer: Best Space Series Ever

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Best Space Series Ever

The Oscar buzz around Gravity proves that people still want to see space adventures, but TV seems to have become terrestrial. Let's reminisce with what series took us to the stars best.

Watch Video

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Oh be serious, how could star-trek ever loose?
should have picked something else.. it's madness I tell you.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
If you're going to select star trek, then at least go with the best version of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Superior storytelling to TNG.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
As far as I'm concerned Babylon 5 outmatches both. It's presents realistic handling of realistic situations in a sci-fi setting. There's no "perfect society" like Star Trek or "suddenly aliens that want to destroy us" like BSG or so many other alien Sci-Fi dramas. Nope, major story development is all based off real events that have actually transpired and could transpire again in a more natural evolution of what becoming a level 4 space society would be. It's not post apocalyptic but it's also not pristine perfection either.

To add, It is probably the only series that would come up with new methods of visual and auditory presentation, limit them to a couple of uses to give them the impact that's needed then stops using them so it doesn't water down the effect. I've lost track of how many times the same effects were used in either of your choices which got to the point of "this again?" level.

So yeah, narrative depth that derived from the real world without being about the the real world, a solid balance of visual and auditory effects to give it the most impact, and oh yes, A story with so many minor, major and critical arcs to make your head spin but structured in a manner to make it understandable. B5 wins my vote, hands down.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Okay...excuse me while I dive into my everything-proof bunker before all the people come in talking about Firefly. *DIVES*

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
You're half right, it's a two-way contest. It's just that the contest is between Firefly and Doctor Who.

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
DataSnake said:
You're half right, it's a two-way contest. It's just that the contest is between Firefly and Doctor Who.
They did specify it had to be complete, Firefly hardly counts. Dr. Who is also mostly about time travel more than space travel, they had that up during the show too.

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
LordLundar said:
As far as I'm concerned Babylon 5 outmatches both. It's presents realistic handling of realistic situations in a sci-fi setting. There's no "perfect society" like Star Trek or "suddenly aliens that want to destroy us" like BSG or so many other alien Sci-Fi dramas. Nope, major story development is all based off real events that have actually transpired and could transpire again in a more natural evolution of what becoming a level 4 space society would be. It's not post apocalyptic but it's also not pristine perfection either.

To add, It is probably the only series that would come up with new methods of visual and auditory presentation, limit them to a couple of uses to give them the impact that's needed then stops using them so it doesn't water down the effect. I've lost track of how many times the same effects were used in either of your choices which got to the point of "this again?" level.

So yeah, narrative depth that derived from the real world without being about the the real world, a solid balance of visual and auditory effects to give it the most impact, and oh yes, A story with so many minor, major and critical arcs to make your head spin but structured in a manner to make it understandable. B5 wins my vote, hands down.
I agree 100%, I was disappointed when they didn't bring this up

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
I was thinking Farscape all through this episode...

Such an amazing series (That I must've watched hundreds of times by now), it has characters you grow to love - Both the Protaganists and the Antagonist (Scorpius is a really interesting bad guy) - They all have original motivations, which end up changing throughout the series (For people aboard Moya, they start out just wanting to get home, and end up becoming like family to each other and end up trying to bring peace to the universe), all the aliens are unique with stereotypical traits seen between them with exceptions to those stereotypes (Such as PK Tech girl)

The only other space show that's kept up with the amount of viewings as Farscape from me is Red Dwarf but series 7, 8 and 9 kind of let it down somewhat (The rest of it is really awesome... Though as it's also more about the comedy rather than space drama, it probably wouldn't win this particular topic)

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Lawnmooer said:

Such an amazing series (That I must've watched hundreds of times by now), it has characters you grow to love - Both the Protaganists and the Antagonist (Scorpius is a really interesting bad guy) - They all have original motivations, which end up changing throughout the series (For people aboard Moya, they start out just wanting to get home, and end up becoming like family to each other and end up trying to bring peace to the universe)
Oh good, I was hoping I wasn't the only one who really enjoyed that series. It probably went on for about 1 season too long, but still way better than BSG.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Lawnmooer said:

Such an amazing series (That I must've watched hundreds of times by now), it has characters you grow to love - Both the Protaganists and the Antagonist (Scorpius is a really interesting bad guy) - They all have original motivations, which end up changing throughout the series (For people aboard Moya, they start out just wanting to get home, and end up becoming like family to each other and end up trying to bring peace to the universe), all the aliens are unique with stereotypical traits seen between them with exceptions to those stereotypes (Such as PK Tech girl)

The only other space show that's kept up with the amount of viewings as Farscape from me is Red Dwarf but series 7, 8 and 9 kind of let it down somewhat (The rest of it is really awesome... Though as it's also more about the comedy rather than space drama, it probably wouldn't win this particular topic)
I agree with both of those. JOHN Crichton was a great character. D'argo was a great character. And Rigel could have been his own series. Moya, Talon, Erin, the show was had such a rich interesting cast.

Also Red Dwarf is probably one of my favorite shows ever put on television. It is kind of sad how it's trailed off in the later seasons. But when it's so far between shooting I can understand how it's hard for them to keep the same level of writing and quality. Plus at some point, you just run out of clever jokes. The recent season 10 was alright, but marred by the memory of what has come before. Of course I'd still happily sit down for a season 11 if they decide to make it, so I guess something must still be working.

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
Star Trek in all its incarnations are bloody awful, there's nothing good about them and like the Simpsons was fad to begin with but gained such a fanatical fanboi following they could spoon out any old crap and people would still say how wonderful it is. Have you actually watched TNG? it's awful bland generic rubbish and poor old Patrick Stewart who is a brilliant actor will be tarnished with for life, a bit like Alec Guinness and Star Wars.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
Personally I have the fondest memories of TNG, it could be so many different things week to week. Dark, deep, light, funny, hopeful, tragic. All of those different emotions and different tones that it could hit made it the superior series compared to BSG, which was always dark, IMO.

I will say that Babylon 5 was exceptional and could have been the best series ever had it been allowed to run it's course without networks controlling the story telling towards the ending. Again it didn't hit all of the different tones that TNG did, but it was, I'll say brighter and more hopeful in it's story telling. That hope being that all of the races could unite and work through their differences.

The flute episode referenced, was exceptional.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
TNG won, as I predicted. STAR TREK, as a whole, has in spades what BSG lacked (aside from that picture of the 3 women in skimpy outfits; where's you guys find that?): hope and optimism. That's what keeps the viewers coming back for more, because we want a better tomorrow. That and BSG would take up to a year off between seasons. Also, what's this
"Patrick Stewart was" business? Patrick Stewart IS.
Ne1butme said:
If you're going to select star trek, then at least go with the best version of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Superior storytelling to TNG.
And yet you have Sir Patrick Stewart playing John Oliver as your avatar?

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
BSG is what Star Trek Voyager should have been.

Brannon Braga and Ronald D moore actually fell out with each other over that argument.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
The Lugz said:
Oh be serious, how could star-trek ever loose?
Right. TNG is far too tight to ever loose.

OT: One of these series had Dwight Schultz, the other lost. Murdock always wins.