No Right Answer: Best Star Trek Captain Ever

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Janeway! Any day, every day.

She brought almost all of her crew home, where the rest of the captains lost tons every season. Also, she took on the Borg Queen and won. And did it all for the love of coffee.

Lhianon

Aug 28, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
Sisko is the best Captain. He punched out a space god, became a space god, started a war with the Dominion and beat the shit out of them, and built the first Federation Warship.
i have to agree, the premise of the dicussion was flawed, it should have been "picard or sisko".
kirk actually was kind of racist, just not towards other humans, but to klingons as was shown in "the undiscovered country" (yes, he got over it, but only barely)

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
portal_cat said:
Picard, he took an arrow to the shoulder to prove he wasn't a god.
This.

Picard had a real sense of honour about him that other captains just lacked.

Janeway was nearly always wrong. Kirk was a douche. Sisko was ok, but he never had the same authority as Picard.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Sisko, definitely, as the most interesting character of all the captains. Picard is too idealized.
I would rate the captains like this:

1. Sisko
2. Picard
3. Janeway
4. Archer
5. Kirk

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
el_kabong said:
To be fair that's just bad writing, it's a trope of 'beat up the toughest guy to prove how badass the baddie is'. The fact that it is always Worf means he's supposed to be the toughest.

Plus he kinda proves it during the dominion war, guy beats up dozens on Jem-hadar(?) even though he's had the crap kecked out of him for weeks.

OT:

My order:

1. Sisko - great leader, doesn't mind getting his hands dirty, can actually crack a joke
2. Picard - great diplomat, not afraid to risk it all
3. Archer - Enterprise happened, it was good, get over it
4. Janeway - would do anything for her crew, wouldn't back down from a fight
5. Kirk - just don't like TOS, dull, boring and almost like a poor studio rip-off of the others.

*flameshield activated*

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
You know, if Gene Roddenberry were alive when DS9 was first thought up, no way would there be that bullshit religious aspect of the emissary. That was so fucking stupid, those episodes were GARBAGE.

OT why the hell did no one mention captain archer?! HE WAS BAWSE!!!

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Quick question for whoever made the graphic for this on the front page, why is Picard sitting in front of the Enterprise C?! SERIOUSLY WTF?! HE WAS NEVER CAPTAIN OF AN AMBASSADOR CLASS STARSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Of course Picard won, a more posed and tactical captain :p
Also: My favorite (as in, love to hate) space Nazies were just better than the Star Trek ones

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
rhizhim said:
Hitchmeister said:
No love for Archer? I'm kidding. I know there's no love at all for Archer.

who said there is no love for me? because i will shoot them with this gun until they love me. like seriously.
You win this thread, sir. Well played.

I am withholding my vote until someone kills Zap Branegan and saves that universe. Whichever captain does THAT gets my vote.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
In my book, Picard will always win out because THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!!!!!

Also, props to Kyle for sneaking a Caddy Shack line in there. :3

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
mattttherman3 said:
You know, if Gene Roddenberry were alive when DS9 was first thought up, no way would there be that bullshit religious aspect of the emissary. That was so fucking stupid, those episodes were GARBAGE.

OT why the hell did no one mention captain archer?! HE WAS BAWSE!!!
Roddenberry gave Behr and Piller the go ahead to make DS9 before he died. He okayed the show.

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
Hitchmeister said:
Hopefully in a few months we can revisit this as a debate between Shatner Kirk and Pine Kirk. Haven't had enough Pine Kirk to really say anything yet. With luck the next movie will be good enough for someone to consider championing him.
I'd totally champion Pine!Kirk. Not because I really like him better than Shatner, but because everyone is so butthurt about him, when I think he did a good job, considering all the circumstances in the first rebooted Star Trek movie, the most dire of which was a bad script.
I loved the reboot! Loved it, because it loved me back, it was really so hyper in its love for Trek. It also lacked sense, and science, and there were way too many convenient coincidences, but it was really so enthusiastic. Like an eager puppy. That just pissed all over my rug. Makes you angry and bitter, but how can you not love that goofy face?
So yeah. I'd totally champion Pine!Kirk for that.

OT: Picard over Kirk, but TOS over TNG.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Dan said:
[Kirk] built the Federation
I believe you are incorrect, Archer created the first alliances and treaties that eventually became the Federation.

Which brings me to my point, Archer is the best captain. Picard had the weight of Q's judgement on his shoulders? Well Archer had the entire future of the human race on his shoulders. He was alone, utterly alone fighting the Xindi. The NX-01 was the only ship that was capable of saving Earth from total destruction and he had to survive any way he could. Which brings me to my next point; Picard (and I assume Kirk, haven't seen much Original series) at the end of nearly every episode, would set course for the nearest Starbase to rest and repair. Archer didn't have that, he had to repair his ship with anything he could get his hands on in the middle of nowhere, he couldn't just run back to Earth or a Starbase every time he encountered the Xindi, he had to survive utterly on his own and he succeeded. Rather than just defend Earth when the Xindi attacked, Archer took the war to the Xindi homeland, the Delphic Expanse, which was full of spatial anomalies making navigation difficult. Plus, Archer became entangled in a temporal cold war with beings from a thousand years into the future. Which just sounds cool. Picard and Kirk had it cushy compared to Archer.

Also the NX-01 was an explorer ship, not a warship. Picard and Kirk's Enterprises where chock full of torpedoes and phasers and could blow away anything that they came across. The NX-01 didn't even get Photon torpedoes until season 3 (?). Their ships also had shields, all the NX-01 had for protection was to polarise it's hull plating. And he still managed to take on an entire race of beings that wanted his total destruction and succeed.