No Right Answer: Best Sunday Comic

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Best Sunday Comic

Remember reading comics in the newspaper? Chris and Kyle do, and this week they're debating which Sunday comic reigns supreme.

Watch Video

rayen020

May 20, 2009
they don't beat garfield... maybe Dilbert. Still like Dilbert. Also what about Non sequiter and Beetle Bailey?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
How could you forget the huge Sunday Calvin and Hobbes comics that got it canceled from some news papers because they were too big and couldn't be reformatted to another size and brought the whole comics page closer to an art.

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
Peanuts is iconic, but Calvin and Hobbes is it for me.

I have a memory of being a little girl, curled up on the living room floor in front of the fire place reading the Calvin and Hobbes strip about when they're playing outside in the snow and they come inside to curl up around the fire for hot chocolate. It's just this memory of perfect calm and comfort.

I have most of the collection books and you do get something new out of them every time you read them.

And For Better or For Worse, of course, is the other comic tied to my childhood.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Peanuts? Fail.

If you wanted to put up a comic that would have given Calvin and Hobbes a run for its money, should have gone with Far Side.

IridRadiant

May 31, 2008
The first comics I thought of when I saw the title were Dilbert and Garfield. Both of which I think are better than Peanuts and C&H.

crazy_coug99

Official Representative of WSU
Sep 17, 2012
Me personally, it should have been Peanuts strictly because of the holiday specials. The classic ones, not the most recent ones.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Garfield is the greatest because of the cartoon special, 9 live of Garfield. It is sadder than Jurrassic Bark.

I hate Mondays.

Dan W

Oct 15, 2012
Peanuts is a fine strip, and there is no doubt that the characters are endearing. But there are few things that can match the heart, depth and humor of Calvin and Hobbes.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
Calvin and Hobbes should have been victorious. Nothing against Peanuts, but there's little depth to it. "Empty calories" was a good analogy. C&H is a truly great artistic work. It's engaging, deep, intelligent, uncompromising, and (at least the large watercolor strips) quite beautiful. It does all of that and is still hilarious.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Why wasn't I invited? WHY THE HELL WAS I NOT INVITED TO THIS ONE?! THIS IS WHAT I DO! Come on, people!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ComicStripCritic

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Strange thing, despite I never once read Calvin and Hobbs (what? I'm from the UK) and seen some Peanut episode, I would of side with Calvin and Hobbs! Yes I have seen a few of those strips which I guess leave more of an impact to me than Peanut cartoon.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
madwarper said:
Peanuts? Fail.

If you wanted to put up a comic that would have given Calvin and Hobbes a run for its money, should have gone with Far Side.
I can't objectively argue anything regarding Calvin and Hobbs because it was a part of my childhood and I will love it until the day I die. If I had to pick something I can objectively argue, Far Side all the way.

Hehehe.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Ickabod said:
I challenge you to work in an office and not like Dilbert.
Doesn't make it a good strip. Observational humor is pretty easy/basic. It doesn't take much insight to poke fun at the mundane parts of life.

Calvin and Hobbes easily wins this for me. It's the only comic I've actually bought books for, and I still re-read them from time to time.
Far Side is a close second just based on the clever humor it fits into 1 panel.

Peanuts just never really spoke to me. I don't feel any sense of nostalgia for it. "Empty calories" might be the best analogy for it.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
I thought the fan theory that Calvin grew up to be Ed Norton's character in Fight Club was a fun read.
http://ignatz.brinkster.net/cfightclub.html

I was really rooting for Calvin and Hobbes to win this one. At least it was a tie.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
There are Peanuts strips - not all of them, but more than a couple - which I'd pit against Calvin and Hobbes in terms of depth. F'rinstance, Charlie Brown, when attempting to kick the football, was quite aware that he would fail and often dealt with why he was trying anyway. Were I arguing for the superiority of Peanuts I'd've probably worked an angle that anything Calvin and Hobbes did well, Charlie Brown did first.

The only exception to this that I can come up with is Waterson's expansive Sunday format. I'll always love the guy for fighting the shrinking size of funnies.

My go-to wouldn't've been either comic, though. For me the connundrum will always be between Far Side and Bloom County. The former mastered the one-panel strip, arguably introduced the world to geek humor, paving the way for Dilbert and subsequent web-comicry; the latter, IMHO, predated C&H's hallmark large-scale Sunday strip, replete with dream-like surrealism.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Not even going to watch. Aside fro the fact that the people who do this are terrible at debate and the judge is apparently a complete nincompoop, there's no argument here. Calvin And Hobbes hands down.