No Right Answer: Best Tom Hanks Movie Ever

the abyss gazes also

Professional Over Thinker
Apr 10, 2012
GamemasterAnthony said:
No love for Big? SHAMEFUL!!!

But seriously, I definitely agree with Forrest Gump. Probably one of the best movies in history, not just the best Tom Hanks movie.
Yeah, no "Big" means you lose the debate automatically.

Tamrin

Nov 12, 2011
Proverbial Jon said:
Green Mile, hands down. How did this not get picked?
Same reason Saving Private Ryan, Cast Away, Road to Perdition, and so on didn't get picked. It's just so damn hard to choose.

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
Didn't even bother to watch once I saw the splash. I rate Forrest Gump as one of his worst movies. It is truly a terrible film. Never quite understood how it became so popular, especially given how awful every single "message" of that movie is.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I'd have gone with Catch me if you Can, but I just hate Hanks and have hardly seen anything with him in it.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Wow, this one was a stretch. You limited it to only the dramas Hanks did in the '90's, and ignored his '80's comedies? He's hilarious! Big, Bachelor Party, Turner & Hooch, all funny, all Hanks. And did you leave out Toy Story because Hanks only did Woody's voice?
But you're right about Bubba Gump Shrimp; that place is the tits.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
The reason Cast Away was not picked was simply because Helen Hunt was in the movie. Even if it was only for 2 scenes. WILSON! WILSON!!!!

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
What about Charlie Wilson's War?
Its not as iconic, I know, but it is a great movie and is about the beginning of the war all Americans forgot, you often forget how the Taliban were made and how they were able to get hold of an entire country.
The only problem with that movie is that it says America supplied Ahamad Shah Masood when in fact he Mullah Omar's type of people were supplied more.
If you want to talk about the war on terror, if you want to talk about intervening in other countries' conflicts, you need to know the history first and you need to watch this movie first.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
There are just too many alternate choices in this debate.

But, if you stick to just the ones in this video, here's an alternate view of one of them: http://www.agonybooth.com/video275_Forrest_Gump_1994_Tom_Hanks.aspx

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Gump vs Castaway would probably have been a better match-up, and I haven't even seen the latter. I just know that Apollo 13 wasn't nearly as good as Gump.

Remember in The Truman Show when Jim Carey has figured it all out and is making is trying to escape, it shows all the people watching the TV show rooting him on? Like - and for some reason this is the only one I can remember off the top of my head - the guy in the bathtub clinging to his shower curtain as Jim's on a sailboat and The Director throws a storm at him to stop him? That's how you feel the entire way through Gump. Once the character works his way into your heart you WANT to know more about his life, you want to hear the next story he's going to tell. Apollo 13 was just a movie about an accident in space.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
I'm a little saddened that Dan and Chris both seem serious about their choices, since I found Forrest Gump and Apollo 13 to be oscarbation at its most obvious and otherwise not particularly compelling, but I appreciate the argument nonetheless.

Still, I really hope all involved have at least seen Bachelor Party. Funny Hanks on way too much cocaine is best Hanks.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I haven't seen all of his films, but I consider Saving Private Ryan one of the greatest ever so I would pick that.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
scrivello said:
Joe Versus The Volcano. End of thread.
You know it isn't as clear cut as you think, because well, Bachelor Party.

"What did you say Stanley? What did you say?"

Still...Joe Versus the Volcano is the only time Eric Burdon's version of Sixteen Tonnes has ever sounded good. Plus a great cast, Dan Hedaya, Ossie Davis, Lloyd Bridges and Abe Vigoda...magnificent, it's just a shame it has Tom hanks in it.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
Out of the two they picked, I would go for Apollo 13 because I was a space geek when I was a kid so I watched it about as often as I watched the original Star Wars Trilogy (aka a lot).

With Forest Gump, there was always something...wrong about it. I know it was the story a mentally handicapped individual who went through life like many did in the '60s, except it felt so belittling to Forest as a character. Throughout the whole movie I felt like the director wanted us to sit and watch the troubled individual, who went through so much, and point our fingers at the screen. I can't explain it well, I only know that the movie never settled well with me.

Saving Private Ryan, while good, got shadowed for me by The Thin Red Line, which, imho, was so much better than the regular Hollywood WWII film they made with the former. Green Mile was another excellent film yet I think his best, for me, will be Philadelphia.

There, end of thread.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
I'm not overly fond of Tom Hanks (a lot of that has to do with me hating Forest Gump with a passion) but he has been in quite a few good films here and there though discounting the Toy Story films I'd say my favourite would have to be Road to Perdition and probably where he gave his best performance as well.