No Right Answer: Greatest Console Blunder Ever

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Greatest Console Blunder Ever

NO, the Virtual boy doesn't count, because it was a conspiracy to give people eye-cancer. That being said, which gaming console tripped over it's own two feet the hardest?

Watch Video

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
I think it would have been a hard call if not for the "Damaging to the Game Industry in general" requirement, which clearly the Xbone with its Orwellian-Horror-Cam wins out on.

The worst I can say about the Wii U is that having to use all the different controllers is wonky at best, and there's no third party support (which has been true for Nintendo since the N64 days pretty much) - but their first party titles are still a blast!

You can whine all you want about the repetitiveness of Mario and Zelda games, but I'll stop playing them when they stop being fun.

jdarksun

Nov 3, 2003
Eh, I mean, the WiiU has some interesting exclusive titles. We're too early in the "new" generation to even have a reason to buy a PS4 or XB1.

I don't own any of 'em, but then, I'm mostly a PC gamer. I might buy a PS4 when... something?... comes out for it that I gotta play.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Both consoles have more than there fair share of troubles, but surely if we're talking about the biggest blunder ever, then the Virtual Boy wins by a mile.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
The Wii U is a blunder? Really? Okay, there are not enough games to justify buying it, but that's changing. Hell, my nephew wasn't planning on buying any of the new systems this generation, but when Mario Kart 8 came out he started looking at prices. I might be tempted to do the same, but I had to buy a new notebook for work.

On a side note... There was an older multi-player Pac-Man game where one person controlled Pac-Man and the other players controlled the Ghosts. This would be perfect for the Wii U. Get on that.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
about the cross-console controller comparability the Wii and Wii U have; Just like to point out that the Duelshock 1 controllers from PS1 worked on PS2 so the Wii U isn't the first console to do that.

also worst Console blunder is easily the Dreamcast, less then a three year life span that had Sega pull out of the hardware market and just produce software.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
At least the XBox One is finally getting some games to play on it. The PS4 is still just floundering in cross-console titles, and seems like it will be for another year yet.

And this is coming from someone who absolutely prefers Sony over all other consoles.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I have to give Dan props for his guts. Most people would only dare call the Wii U a blunder and damaging to the industry from within a hidden bunker at an undisclosed location. You are brave, sir!

That being said, I don't really think it's a blunder, at least not on a major, systemic level. Yeah, Nintendo didn't recapture the Wii's sales fervor, yeah, the controller's dumb. Yeah, it's kind of weird people are all "it's not made for you!" when the tablet controller was supposed to be a successor to the "everyone can play" setup of the WIi's waggle stuff.

But this gen, the Xbone takes the "blunder" title. Nintendo probably won't backtrack and probably won't need to backtrack. If they do, it almost certainly won't be (or need to be) anywhere near the One Eighty Microsoft has had to pull.

Also, if not for criteria 3, I'd say the Ouya would be in the running. I'm just not sure it harmed anything except the wallets of the people who bought into it.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I wouldn't call the WiiU a blunder or, to say the least, not the biggest blunder. It tripped out the door because it didn't have it's shoes tied and was trying to race out before the PS4 and Xbone had finished getting dressed. This left it with a few features not ready at launch (none of which, aside from Virtual Console, were really detrimental to enjoying the WiiU). And it's lack of games is soon to change with the second half of 2014 and a good chunk of 2015 being full of new unique titles that all look fun.

The Xbone, on the other hand, left the house pissing in everyone's mailbox and telling them it needed to in order to function properly (by that, I mean include many features that no one asked for or wanted, but would need to function). Some people (the diehards) were willing to tussle its hair and just call it a little scamp while the rest of us were ready to crucify the damn plastic brick for their anti-consumer attitude back in 2013.

Admittedly, now, I have a WiiU (got it at launch). And I'm looking at getting an Xbone (there are a couple games coming out that look interesting, so I'm considering it). But the Xbone really fucked up and I feel that, to some, its reputation still hasn't quite recovered, which has allowed Sony to pretty much dominate this generation thus far. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the WiiU finally has games and the Xbone finds a way to erase everyone's memories of 2013 (maybe that's what the Kinect was originally for). lol.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Oh! For some reason my brain read "Greatest Console Blunder ever" as "Greatest Console Ever" and then all I saw were pictures of WiiU and the XBO.

My mind almost broke.

Thankfully it's about blunders. Haha.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I think I'd have to go with something like the Sega Saturn. Neither the XBO nor the Wii-U have managed to help crash their parent company (at least, not yet.) The history of the Saturn reads like a greatest hits of the mistakes of the PS3 and Wii-U combined- no games, poor timing, difficult hardware...

I'm still hoping the Wii-U can make a go of it. Sounds like they had a good showing at E3, at least.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
SilverUchiha said:
I wouldn't call the WiiU a blunder or, to say the least, not the biggest blunder. It tripped out the door because it didn't have it's shoes tied and was trying to race out before the PS4 and Xbone had finished getting dressed. This left it with a few features not ready at launch (none of which, aside from Virtual Console, were really detrimental to enjoying the WiiU). And it's lack of games is soon to change with the second half of 2014 and a good chunk of 2015 being full of new unique titles that all look fun.
Thing is, the Wii U absolutely was a blunder, and the biggest reason why is because it was Nintendo's attempt to court the hardcore crowd again. Except that didn't work because most of those folks are either too intent on having the latest and greatest console tech, or they can recognize an under-powered console with a gimmicky tablet controller when they see it. So Nintendo has failed to recapture the hardcore fans, still hasn't managed to revive third party support because third parties have been burned enough and anything but last gen ports is either impossible (you'll never see a dedicated next-gen game ported to it), or doesn't make financial sense because it's sales have been in the toilet since launch. And on top of that they've lost the casual crowd that made the Wii a runaway success because smartphones and tablets are the in thing for those people now.

So we're left with a console that went after two specific markets, failed to get either of them, and has a controller that's yet to justify it's own existence and is still sitting firmly in gimmick territory. So the only hope they're really left with is the die hard Nintendo crowd. And history tells us they only buy systems when a new Nintendo release hits, and we can expect the Wii U to sell probably 20 million units. 25-30 if it's really lucky. In between Nintendo releases, sales will flat line just like they have so far and always have for their previous machines.

And as if being caught out in no man's land weren't bad enough, Nintendo broke their golden rule of not selling consoles for a loss this generation (technically they did it twice: once with the Wii U, and once when the 3DS had it's first price cut). I doubt any of this will be enough to kill Nintendo, but it will absolutely be enough to hurt them. So far the Wii U has been a sales failure, and a financial failure for them, and they aren't doing anything that I can see turning it around yet.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
What a click-baity topic. And a click-baity video player. The video just won't load.
EDIT: Okay, so the servers were not working properly for a few hours.

The points here (except for one or two on always-on and naming) seem to just be about one thing per side: Kinect and Gamepad.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
I'll admit that the Wii U pad isn't so great. But I still think that the biggest blunder was with the XBone. I mean, look back a year. M$ starts saying all the new stuff that no one likes, progressively adding more unpleasant things. Meanwhile, Sony say almost nothing. (There's a handful of pre E3 stuff, but mostly rumors.) Then, E3 2013 happens. Microsoft announces it's price. Afterwards, Sony says "Btw, you can share your games, you don't need peripherals, you can turn it off whenever." M$ bosses are a bit nervous, but they think, "nah, it's fine, PS3 was more expensive on release, we're fine." Then comes the price tag...
"399$"

PANIC MODE ENGAGED
M$ flops around, saying 'nah, it's fine, you don't need those bad things.', which made them look like huge liars.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Callate said:
I think I'd have to go with something like the Sega Saturn. Neither the XBO nor the Wii-U have managed to help crash their parent company (at least, not yet.) The history of the Saturn reads like a greatest hits of the mistakes of the PS3 and Wii-U combined- no games, poor timing, difficult hardware...

I'm still hoping the Wii-U can make a go of it. Sounds like they had a good showing at E3, at least.
Yeah I'd agree with a company-destroying mistake like the Saturn. The Mega-CD has to rank up there as well. The tragedy is that both of them had some fantastic games - anybody played "Eternal Champions CD" recently?

And I won't be the fifth or sixth person to mention the Virtual Boy. (Oh wait... crap.)

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
Greatest console blunder of this generation. Drum roll please..................... The Xbox One. The Wii U at this point in time maybe somewhat of a blunder but at least it didn't try to get one over us and have a company reduce the potential sales of it before it was shipped. Greatest console blunder of all time I will say is a tie between Sega's consoles after the Megadrive up to the Dreamcast, the Phantom and
NinjaDeathSlap said:
the biggest blunder ever, then the Virtual Boy wins by a mile.
Not just a mile from here to the darkside of the moon.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
At least the WiiU is finally getting its shit together (judging from E3 anyway). The biggest blunder for it IMO was all to do with marketing. Not only is the name stupid, I saw barely any commercials for it.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
tm96 said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
the biggest blunder ever, then the Virtual Boy wins by a mile.
Not just a mile from here to the darkside of the moon.
I'm sorry but the Philips CDI wins everytime.

Personally the Wii had a slow start but had no real problems beyond a small library. Xbone just kept on and on with their BS. For me at least.