No Right Answer: Greatest Cybernetic Threat to Humanity Ever

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Greatest Cybernetic Threat to Humanity Ever

Kyle and Dan finally take the fan's advice and add some serious debate structure. Do you guys like what you see?

Watch Video

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
From what I can tell, the Borg brainwash you(not really, but something akin to that) which is way more evil and terrifying than just being outright killed; suppressing my free will and using me as a tool to destroy everything I cherish is a scarier notion than just being killed/outbred by the Cylons.

Toasty Virus

Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
I'm a bit perplexed by the new system, perhaps thats the hangover.

OT: Yeah, the BORG are far more terrifyin. Having my free will suppressed is far more horrible than being infiltrated, at least in my books.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Maybe I'm not too familiar with "debate structure", but it didn't seem all that different to me. Only thing was them defining requirements at the beginning.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I'll go with the Cyber Cthulhu, Reapers. (There is an anime Mass Effect so it counts ;) )

I would have said Borg years ago, but then Voyager happened.... I am surprised the Daleks or Cybermen didn't make the battle.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Borg assimilate technology not culture Dan. If they assimilated our culture they'd have to take in Justin Beiber and then they'd end up with a brain aneurysm.

The Borg win over the cylons because they're not exclusive--they're out to conquer everyone whereas the Cylons just have a grudge against humans.

Not sure about the "serious" approach. Maybe with some practice it'll get better.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I think Skynet's cyborg assassins get points for having infinite do-overs via time travel.

Annnd it's relevant XKCD comic time!

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
The Borg are a Homogenising Swarm as defined by von Neumann probes idea.

The Cylons are AI/ALF, not cyborgs.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
I think the fact the Borg won was right but for the wrong reason. What makes them terrifying to me is that every moment you are transformed you can fell the implants going into your skin and limbs and bodyparts being removed and cut off. Until your mind is locked you feel everything that is happening even the implants being put into your brain and that is truly horrifying.It sort or makes Jigsaw's torture from saw look tame. The Psylons, you're going to die or manipulated which you can recover from but the borg.... even if you get rescued some how. You will never be the same person your were before.

schwitz

Sep 30, 2012
GamemasterAnthony said:
What? No Cybermen? No Skynet/Terminators? I am disappoint...

PLEASE tell me some of you are disappoint as well.
Yea, I agree they left some pretty big contenders out of the argument.

Shalok

May 28, 2012
I think the definition of Cyborg needs to be expanded on a bit, because from where I sit cybord needs to be a melding of biological and mechanical which the Borg are and the Cylons aren't, they just fake it really well. IMO it has to be the reapers from Mass effect

nayrbarr

Aug 11, 2010
Shalok said:
Cylons aren't [Cyborgs], they just fake it really well.
^This, which also rules out Skynet as a whole, although the later films do involve at least one true cyborg. I'm not an expert on the canon though.

Also, I think that "biggest threat" is an interesting statement. It could mean in absolute terms - so a "bigger threat" would be the one which could kill more humans - or relative terms - so a "bigger threat" would be more likely to wipe out humanity, or stunt our growth indefinitely.

Finally, people are suggesting the Cybermen as a contender her but I think that's a little pointless given how much more of a threat the Daleks (Who perhaps should have been considered) were shown to be at Canary Wharf :p

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
The Replicators!

Now i have to type a few more words so I don't get another warning