No Right Answer: Greatest Cybernetic Threat to Humanity Ever

digital warrior

Oct 17, 2008
The borg easly. Why? well when Picard become Locutus of borg he admitted to still being their, in the back of its hive, trying to help trying to stop what he become and failing, can you imagine that horror, to have your consciousness their and be slowly destroyed while you are powerless to do a thing about it. SCARY FUCKING SHIT.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Oh so you're using 8bits healthbar eh?

Anyway to me the Borg view as the bigger threat since they weren't just assimilating the human race, they were assimilating any alien races they encounter! Last time I've check the Battlestar remake was just Cylon vs human while the original did had some aliens in it but I can't remnember if the Cylon attacked them aswell. So for the Borg attacking everyone make them as the bigger threat in my view.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
I laughed at the "join us on facebook", when you described the borg. It's too true, and why I try not to use facebook more than I need too.

I liked this episode, not sure what you did, but it felt more thought through than the others I've seen. I have not seen that many to be honest though.

Captcha: Nercolas Cerg. lol. Feels strangely relevant.

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
GamemasterAnthony said:
What? No Cybermen? No Skynet/Terminators? I am disappoint...

PLEASE tell me some of you are disappoint as well.
While I was thinking skynet when I first saw the title and cybermen are awesome, kind of like the borg when you think about it, both of them are constantly being thwarted by a couple of people and an outdated machine. Skynet by John, his mom or girlfriend, or just his mom and dad depending on what terminator you're watching, and an old T-100. The cybermen by the Doctor, whoever happens to be his companion at that time, and an older model, somewhat unreliable, TARDIS with broken camouflage. The people and machines are all still very impressive, but even the doctor is just one person, usually, and he would have probably been killed, killed more/permanently I guess, if his enemies weren't constantly putting their evil plans on hold to hear him give a speech.

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
GamemasterAnthony said:

While I was thinking skynet when I first saw the title and cybermen are awesome, kind of like the borg when you think about it, both of them are constantly being thwarted by a couple of people and an outdated machine. Skynet by John, his mom or girlfriend, or just his mom and dad depending on what terminator you're watching, and an old T-100. The cybermen by the Doctor, whoever happens to be his companion at that time, and an older model, somewhat unreliable, TARDIS with broken camouflage. The people and machines are all still very impressive, but even the doctor is just one person, usually, and he would have probably been killed, killed more/permanently I guess, if his enemies weren't constantly putting their evil plans on hold to hear him give a speech.

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
I'd have to say the Borg. The Cylons have a better chance of winning, but that's because their enemy is so pathetic. I can't count the number of Battlestar Galactica episodes I've seen where the Cylons don't even do anything, and everything still manages to go to shit. If the enemies were switched the Borg Collective would have assimilated all of humanity already, and the Cylons would probably have been dealt with a long time ago.

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
The machines from the Matrix. They won...even when they lose, they still win. They drove humanity to the brink on several occasions and would have continued were it not for Smith...and an awful script.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
You know, I think you missed some fairly major points on both sides here. The Borg have got the whole body horror, invasion of personal and mental space thing going for them. If I get assimilated, I'm still alive, but I just got violated and mind raped and reduced to a tiny voice in the corner of my brain overwhelmed by the voice of the Collective. In my opinion, that's worse than death. This also plays into fears about the dark side of the onward march technology.

On the Cylon side (note, I've never actually seen an episode of BSG - this knowledge is largely coming from TvTropes...) you've got questions of identity - you don't actually know whether you're human, or whether you're an infiltrator Cylon that just hasn't been activated yet. That's a constant life of terror - especially if (as I think is correct) it's possible for you to be replaced, with all of your memories intact in the new Cylon you, so even if you've somehow checked in the past that you are human, you still might not be NOW.

Back to the Borg - there's two more 'minor' issues. One: They own a good third of the Galaxy, so they vastly outnumber us. Two, they adapt to any strategy used against them. In combination: You either need a superweapon to take them all out at once, or you're in for a War of Attrition where you must be constantly innovating. So, in the long run, I think Borg beat Cylons hands down.

KillaBC

Feb 18, 2013
To say the Borg got trounced by Humanity in all the episodes well that is true, but they were fighting on almost equal levels of technology. After Wolf 359 Starfleet had so much brown faecal matter in its trousers that it built dedicated warships for the first time in its history.

The Borg also reduce your mind to one of Trillions swimming around in a massive 'cloud' which main purpose is to make that 'cloud' bigger and better. Your body is to serve the function of the Collective and your mind is there to process all that information. The person that is you is in a corner, and observer of all the things that your body is doing no matter how much you try to take back control.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
You guys got the health bar backwards; when a person made an argument, their health bar went down, and Dan won by having less health at the end.

ANTIcarrot

Jan 3, 2011
I'm going with the Borg as well. Mostly due to the whole eaten alive thing from the inside out thing. And fundimentally, the Borg are actually about a technological threat to us. The Cylons? Not so much...

My problem with the Cylons as a concept, is that anytime you try and explain why they're evil, you start to sound at best like General Ripper, talking about the pollution of his precious bodily fluids. And at worse like a race/religion supremacist, talking about how (for example) gay people and other minorities are 'corrupting' our culture. Especially when you fixate on the humanoid models in the slinky red dresses, which for all intents and purposes reduces Cylons to a nation/minority of humans. A key idea behind the Cylons is that it is okay, and indeed, a civic duty, to fear and hate such groups.

Yes it's a TV show, and it's supposed to be about terrorism, (and this is a very silly video not meant to be about anything serious) but that's still a seriously screwed up message which audiences which have and will apply to other groups that are far less deserving of such views, and it should not be encouraged. And it has absolutely nothing to do with cybernetics in any sense of the word. So yeah. They loose by default.

In other media, yes the Daleks and Terminators are also extremely strong contenders, and both arguably more so than the Cylons. Pity it can't be a four way.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
The Cylons should have been disqualified right off the bat. The Cylons are robots, entitely aritificial intelligences, as opposed to Cyborgs (a man/machine fusion).

What's more when you get into the basic concepts of the respective series, when you omit all of the trippy space angel stuff they through into the new Battlestar Galactica to try and wrap up the series in a profound way when they had no frakking clue what they were doing, the basic Cylon threat was more a failure of humanity. You basically had a genocidal machine uprising, humanity won, but then due to morality decided "we are going to show mercy and spare these maniacs", creating a peace treaty which was admittedly "violated" by a handfull of people who still had a brain keeping an eye on them, people who were basically ignored due to moralists making "peace at any price" arguements and not wanting to accept the continued threat or the central problem of what amounted to genocidal robots. In some respects BSG mirrors modern right wing vs. left wing politics, in the way we tend to ignore threats by foreign powers for moral reasons, demonoize the destruction of entire cultures and ways of life that happen to be a threat to everyone else, and other things while those groups continue to build up. An example of sorts with be "North Korea" we laugh at them while they build failing missle programs and threaten to nuke the US, but we pretty much continue to let them exist and keep plugging away at it, it won't be so amusing if they succeed due to sheer "can do" attitude and actually DO develop the technology to start launching missles into the US. It's similar to how in the "new" Battlestar Galactica people ignored the Cylons until they developed infiltrators, viral weapons to shut down technology, and a huge space fleet, and attacked. On some levels it can be taken as a sort of warning about our attitudes towards groups like North Korea, China, The Middle East, etc... albiet through analogy to not offend anyone. The original BSG also had these elements which pretty much came down to a less developed "hey, the Cylons have killed everyone else, but let's believe they want peace... it's the moral thing to do to lower our defenses and open negotiations" that didn't end well, and pretty much the one ship full of militants who didn't entirely stand down became the last hope for humanity... whether you agree with the political analogies or not (and most here will not) the bottom line is that not only are the Cylons not really cyborgs, but artificial life (as far as I understand it) but they only represent a threat because people were morons in dealing with them. It's more a matter of "look at how stupid we were, and the mess we got into", leading to tales in both series about how a handfull of military people who did their job are left trying to protect the last surviving human civilians from the result of their own stupidity which brought humanity to the edge of genocide. I mean there is kind of a reason why everyone is kind of busting Adama's stones for being a "paranoid" at the beginning of the new series in paticular, while he keeps his "flying museum" combat ready, only to find out he's right, which should have been kind of obvious when you look at the big picture, but it goes to say that even today in real life people don't want to see it.

At any rate, when it comes to "The Borg" it should be noted that they represent a threat that even with very intelligent and motivated action... pretty much every galactic empire there is rapidly coming to the realization that there is no negotiation here, and putting them on a "kill on sight" list, these guys keep coming, and coming, and becoming increasingly stronger while attacking on new and exciting fronts like time and experimenting with transdimensional technologies just to try and kill/adapt everyone else. They are like cockroaches, something you just can't get rid of no matter how uniited you are, except in this cases the cockroaches are aggressive, intelligent, have adaptive technology, and the abillity to not only decimate planetary populations, but become stronger by doing so.

Now if you want more of a cybernetic threat a better match up with have been to put The Borg up against the Daleks (who are organic, and rely on a symbiotic relationship with machines to survive) or perhaps the old school "Mechanoids" created by Palladium, before they got a little more common sense and made them more realistic/common sense oriented when they were brought into the RIFTS era. Old School Mechanoids were pretty much "yahoo" science fiction at it's finest with the then less seasoned writers talking about fleets of like 40 billion ships fighting and dying without any conception of how big those numbers were (as well as some rather bad math when it came to space travel speeds if I remember because that really wasn't the point so much as "hey look, murderous cyborgs that have already conquered 5 galaxies and turned them into non-stop production factories and now their armies are coming for you!). The mechanoids are not only blobs linked into ginormous cyborg bodies, but also happen to be highly psionic. :)

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
UNHchabo said:
You guys got the health bar backwards; when a person made an argument, their health bar went down, and Dan won by having less health at the end.
I thought that looked weird too. I thought the score counter worked better. Or next time, you guys use an XP bar.
GamemasterAnthony said:

Preach it, brother! The terminators are a huger threat than the Cylons, because they can strike at you from the future, and the living tissue on their infiltrator models counts them as cyborgs, even though their creator Skynet is not. The Cylons still have that infiltration aspect to them, but it turned out they had no real plan and they fell into infighting thanks in part to acting, well, human.
What's funny is I thought the name of the Cylons' One True God was Skynet, and I would also use HAL, Brainiac, and Megatron.

captcha: Men's Speedstick
What the hell? The captcha programs ARE the ads now?

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Cylons? Pffffff!
Terminators, man!!!

Terminators are worse, because you can live for a long time in poverty and constant fear.
The others are super efficient at wiping you out, they don't take years hunting you down.
Constant fear for a long time is a billion times worse than being super afraid a little while.
Unfortunately I have a lot of experience...

And your graphics seem to be very counterintuitive.
They should turn more red when your enemy scores a hit on you, not when you score a hit.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Dont think cybernetic means what they think it means.

Even if they mean it as cyborg it doesnt fit , the borg are, and so are cylon raiders and hybrids but the centurions and cylons are'nt

but out of the 2 the borg have to win on sheer scale there must be millions of times more of them and they wont stop or change their mind or do some seriously odd religious crap in the later series when the script writers loose the plot a bit.
worst death? well assimilation has to suck but i think being a piece of meat in a cylon experiment might just top it for me.

if the question was really biggest AI threat. then ill go for skynet because its the only one i can think of that hasnt actually lost yet , ok it does in every film but thats hollywood. and terminators were terrifying when i was a kid.
ALthough the matrix machines are probably the actual winners because well they did win and could of/should of wiped us out,
im sure the Matrix Bovine edition would of been more feasible and less problematic but i guess it wouldnt of made for the good film stock.

Alluos

Nov 7, 2010
I like the changes, I mean I can't really pin-point a lot but the show was awesome to begin with so no complaints there.