No Right Answer: Green Lantern Corps vs the Jedi

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Green Lantern Corps vs the Jedi

Being around family like most of us just were makes you want to run away and join a noble order. Maybe shave your head, maybe not. But as long as you're joining a noble order, why not join the best? But wait, does that make you a Jedi in training, or a Green Lantern...in training?

Watch Video

TheFederation

Mar 29, 2011
i'd say green lantern corps, because there so much more variety. if you don't want to use green and will power, you can use red and anger. alien police have a lot more things to choose from

messy

Dec 3, 2008
If you can forget Mitochlorians you can forget the Ryan Reynolds film. I think that's only fair.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Oh yeah, the Green lanterns and their creators are totally noble, I mean tearing out someone's internal organs and personality to replace them with robotics and a power battery to act as their internal police is totally justifiable.

And the Manhunter robots? Stroke of genius!

/Sarcasm.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Is it just me, or did half of Chris' arguments in this one consist of repeating the phrase "The Green Lanterns are much more noble, much more noble" over and over?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I know why I enjoy these. My friends and I would debate like this on these sort of issues.

I gotta go with the Jedi. They, ideally, maintain a presence of nobility and lack of emotion to protect the galaxy. We always think of Jedi as warriors, but they are also diplomats. It's entirely possible for Jedi to act as mediators in any conflict. And both sides will accept this because Jedi are renowned for their judgement and incorruptibility.

And to anyone who brings up Anakin, I will bring up Sinestro.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
TheFederation said:
i'd say green lantern corps, because there so much more variety. if you don't want to use green and will power, you can use red and anger. alien police have a lot more things to choose from
No, you can't, because then you aren't in the Green Lantern Corps, you're one of the other colored ring powered corps (in this case red). But Green Lanterns can only use green and will power.
The Red Lantern Corps is pretty evil and enemies of Green Lanterns.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
When George Lucas dies and someone else gets to tell Star Wars stories the Jedi might have a chance. But as long as George is in charge midichlorians are a thing. Also, you can't point to Luke Skywalker as your perfect example because, as per George, he's not the main character of the series. The Star Wars film saga is the story of Anakin Skywalker and as such, he is the prototype Jedi by which the order much be judged.

Sorry Kyle, you're stuck with George Lucas on your team, so you lose.

SamBargeron

Jun 23, 2011
Someone on Facebook mentioned Sinestro as being the Vader of the Green Lanterns. I was surprised that they didn't mention how... oh... Hal Jordan massacred the entire Green Lantern Corps and blew up countless planets on his own without any reasonable provocation! Not that he's more evil than Vader or anything... *dodgy eyes*

Then they retcon'd him as being possessed by the spirit of fear... in the words of Yoda, "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

It is my belief that Yoda wasn't talking strictly about the suffering of others. He wasn't warning Anakin about the innocents who will be victimized. He was warning Anakin of the suffering that all souls feel as they succumb to darkness. Vader killed many innocent Jedi, and his soul suffered for it. He spent most of his remaining days trying to ease his guilt. He was haunted by his actions every moment. The only way he could cope was to keep moving forward, convincing himself that the results would eventually justify the means. They never did. This is a noble journey of self discovery.

Hal, on the other hand, never truly faced any consequences for his actions. DC magicked it all away.

These arguments aside, this is an interesting topic. Despite how the previous paragraphs sound, I'm not certain that Jedi are more noble than Green Lanterns. Just that Anakin is more noble than Hal or Sinestro. The religious fanaticism is a point that rang true with me.

I feel like Chris made a better argument and should have won, although you could out argue Chris with my above points.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Saltyk said:
I know why I enjoy these. My friends and I would debate like this on these sort of issues.

I gotta go with the Jedi. They, ideally, maintain a presence of nobility and lack of emotion to protect the galaxy. We always think of Jedi as warriors, but they are also diplomats. It's entirely possible for Jedi to act as mediators in any conflict. And both sides will accept this because Jedi are renowned for their judgement and incorruptibility.

You bring up Sinestro, I'd suggest Parallax instead.

Of course, there's only one reason that Chris should have won, but he forgot to bring it up.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
SamBargeron said:
Someone on Facebook mentioned Sinestro as being the Vader of the Green Lanterns. I was surprised that they didn't mention how... oh... Hal Jordan massacred the entire Green Lantern Corps and blew up countless planets on his own without any reasonable provocation! Not that he's more evil than Vader or anything... *dodgy eyes*

Then they retcon'd him as being possessed by the spirit of fear... in the words of Yoda, "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

It is my belief that Yoda wasn't talking strictly about the suffering of others. He wasn't warning Anakin about the innocents who will be victimized. He was warning Anakin of the suffering that all souls feel as they succumb to darkness. Vader killed many innocent Jedi, and his soul suffered for it. He spent most of his remaining days trying to ease his guilt. He was haunted by his actions every moment. The only way he could cope was to keep moving forward, convincing himself that the results would eventually justify the means. They never did. This is a noble journey of self discovery.

Hal, on the other hand, never truly faced any consequences for his actions. DC magicked it all away.

These arguments aside, this is an interesting topic. Despite how the previous paragraphs sound, I'm not certain that Jedi are more noble than Green Lanterns. Just that Anakin is more noble than Hal or Sinestro. The religious fanaticism is a point that rang true with me.

I feel like Chris made a better argument and should have won, although you could out argue Chris with my above points.
There's a interesting thing to the "religion" of the Jedi. We can call it that because even Star Wars referenced it as such. I remember playing in one of the KOTOR games, I got an interesting robe late in the game. Now, I read the "flavor text" that explained how it came from an ancient civilization of Force sensitives. It explained how they saw the Force as a tool, and did not see it in a religious aspect. The civilization eventually destroyed itself. This kinda implies that by not respecting the power of the Force, people can do great evil and self-destruct. I just remember it because it was very interesting.

There's no point here. You just reminded me of something interesting.

vxicepickxv said:
Saltyk said:

You bring up Sinestro, I'd suggest Parallax instead.

Of course, there's only one reason that Chris should have won, but he forgot to bring it up.
To be fair, if he had brought up Batman at all, he would have won. Just because Batman.

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
Jedi at least have limits to their power. Green lanterns can blow up planets and/or make them.

Furthermore, Anakin is a bad counterpoint to the jedi since.....the jedi said no. The jedi order was like, "This kid gonna be crazy and evil." Qui-gon and eventually Obi-Wan were just like, "What's the worst that could happen?"

Regardless, the Noblest of orders is clearly the Thundercats, because cats are noble. Especially when they have swords.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Well, the Green Lanterns have the most awesome weapon in the universe, but they're under the control of a bunch of little blue nitwits that are out of touch with reality (ooohh I see what you did there Geoff Johns!) and apparently using the rings is very draining. Plus there's the yellow weakness (I missed a few issues, is that still a problem for people besides Hal?).

Force powers are always fun, with the high jumping and the lifting stuff and the throwing people across the room without touching them. Though to be honest the concept of a sword that can cut anything kinda frightens me, especially if I'm in charge of building it.

I'd go with the GL ring. Worst case scenario there is I get possessed or eaten by a giant yellow space bug that embodies fear. I think that outweighs having my entire existence altered by a git that can't just let great things be.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Green lantern corp? Really? Why didn't you pick ninja's or samurai or something? Even terrorists or the fucking SITH would be a better choice. I am, btw starting to like this show a lot more as it goes on.

As a final note: The history of Star Wars is filled with conflicts that are started by jedi going corrupt and joining the darkside, Revan and Anakin being the most famous ones. Sure the jedi code wins in the end, but it keeps going bad, so something must be wrong with it somewhere... Right?

FilipJPhry

Jul 5, 2011
GL Corps by a mile. In terms of powers, responsibility, effectiveness, and nobility, GL have a much better control of policing the galaxy than the Jedi ever were.

During the Old Republic years, the Jedi were a complete mess. The Sith were winning, people didn't want the Jedi's help and almost every "master" I encountered in KoTOR & KoTOR 2 were elitist pricks who were too scared to come out of hiding while Revan and the Exile came and kicked the Sith's ass.
Also, Revan and the Exile weren't Jedi. They turned their back on both the Jedi & Sith because they knew neither would bring stability to the Galaxy.

In terms of nobility, think about this: Whenever a GL went rogue, they are deemed not fit to wield their ring and would be taken immediately. Sinestro & Jordan: 2 rogue GL.
One in five Jedi become Sith. Think about that.

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
stupid? no silly yes and the answer is GLC with no doubt even though the litlle blue munchkins are TERRIBLE at their jobs (not telling their lanterns a lot of important stuff... see this months GLC #4)