No Right Answer: Is All-Female Ghostbusters Sexist?

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Demagogue said:
Darth_Payn said:
Also, I think your upcoming animated series would look better if it were more, you know, animated.
I'm guessing that they just gave us a rough bit from the first episode, as neither the animation or audio was really polished. They've still got a month to add in some more frames.
In a very serious sense, what's wrong with the audio? There's still time to fix it!

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
They are discriminating based on sex. Of course it's sexist. That's axiomatically true.

I guess the question is if we care that it is? It's not really the sort of sexism that leads to repression of anyone. They're also having a male version so you can't say men weren't hired either.

I guess it is sexist but this time is victimless.

Travis Fischer

Feb 1, 2012
It kinda depends on if Paul Fieg wants to make a movie about four women who happen to be Ghostbusters or if he wants to make a movie about four Ghostbusters who happen to be women.

I really hope he goes for the latter.

Travis Fischer

Feb 1, 2012
Tono Makt said:
Ya know, I just can't understand the level of annoyance some people have for the "all female" cast of the new Ghostbusters. Is it some sort of backlash against Melissa McCarthy or Kristen Wiig, or maybe Saturday Night Live in general (since the 80's and early 90's cast departed, anyway)? Is it the fear that Third Wave Feminism has finally taken control of something that geeks find actually important, like the Ghostbusters property?
Some of it is definitely the former. Melissa McCarthy is... an acquired taste at best. And while I'm perfectly happy to see the Ghostbusters legacy continue with SNL mainstays, let's face it. SNL isn't what it used to be.

Some of it is definitely the latter. Not so much "BWAH! THERE'S WOMEN IN MY GHOSTBUSTERS!" But because, particularly lately, Third Wave Feminism turns pretty much anything it touches into a !@#$storm of controversy.

Most of it, however, I'd say is simple blowback to anything that sounds too gimmicky.

"It's Ghostbusters, but with..."

People are going to reject whatever you put at the end of that sentence because they don't want "Ghostbusters, but..." They just want "Ghostbusters."

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
No more so than the original, no. So no.
But I'd be more considered with it not being funny, which given the cast is more than likely gonna be the case. Just because you have all women doesn't mean its funny. It just means you have all women.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
No more sexist than an all male ghostbusters team
http://judgmentalobserver.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/18-ghostbusters.jpg

Virtual Boy

Feb 21, 2015
I don't really care about there being an all female Ghostbusters movie, what I have a problem with is the cast and director. I'm just not a fan of Paul Feig, Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy. Nothing the have done has been al that good in my opinion, and if it had a better director and cast I would be more excited.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Chris Pranger said:
Don't worry, the show will really end on April 16th and you'll really not care.
I'll care, Chris. I'll care.

Gotta say, your preview made me to chuckle. So, if nothing else, you can consider me intrigued by your upcoming new show.

Congrats on 200 episodes. It was a fantastic run.

canadamus_prime said:
I still think they should've gone with a mixed team of both male and female.
And a different director. And a different set of writers.

Honestly, I'm completely comfortable with the concept of an all-female cast Ghostbusters. Done well, it's an interesting switch-up to the formula.

My primary hangups are with the specific cast they've chosen and the director behind the project. There's just nothing about any of them that scream "good Ghostbusters comedy".

As another poster put it, this feels more like Feig is making a female comedy movie that just so happens to feature Ghostbusters, rather than a Ghostbusters movie that just so happens to feature an all-female cast of leads.

But, I haven't seen it yet (obviously), so who knows? I could be wrong.

I hope that I am.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
To be honest, I don't think I will find the all female one to be any good, that's basing it off I have seen the individual cast members in other movies and haven't found them to be particularly funny. Maybe the new movie's writers will have a good script, but it's most likely the studio will force them to write in the same "jokes" the individual actors are known for.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Firefilm said:
It's true, but not the whole truth. We're not leaving, just replacing with a new show. It was time to mix things up.
You guys certainly pick topics that keep me interested so I'm quite excited to see what you'll do next.
I also like how active you are in the comments after the video, I wonder if you'll be implementing that somehow in future content.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
NiPah said:
Firefilm said:
It's true, but not the whole truth. We're not leaving, just replacing with a new show. It was time to mix things up.
You guys certainly pick topics that keep me interested so I'm quite excited to see what you'll do next.
I also like how active you are in the comments after the video, I wonder if you'll be implementing that somehow in future content.
That's the plan. We're going to try to really build a stronger community, Facebook page, YouTube channel, the whole shebang!

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Firefilm said:
bdcjacko said:
Well I already love anything Dan is in, so bring on the new show.
See, that's the kind of feedback I need to get through my day. Thank you!
Ah Dan, you know I love you. Still owe you a high five.

Jan 12, 2012
Firefilm said:
In a very serious sense, what's wrong with the audio? There's still time to fix it!
I thought I heard a scratchy ticking, but on rewatching it wasn't there so it might have been something with my speakers. Sounds good.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
That clip.... ohh....

I feel like I just watched my friend say he's moving in with his girlfriend... that he met online.... who lives out of state...

I really hope you guys know what you're doing. I had a better initial reaction to Game Dogs.

As for the episode, I think it does a disservice to a piece of work if you start trying to attach labels and questions to it like "is it sexist?" Yeah, in a way it kinda is, since it is trying to say that women are different than men, but they need to prove themselves to be accepted as such. Spending time "proving" that on screen is not going to be an engaging experience. A mixed cast would be a far better approach, especially since Hollywood has a hard time promoting truly talented actresses. That way, you wouldn't need to find 4 ladies that can entertain, and only need 1 or 2.

Compared to Chris Pratt, who I would watch in anything, is probably why they are making 2 movies now.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Look, occasionally, we can have teams of all one gender. I think we'll survive occasionally having some unisex teams. If we can't, then we're all kinda screwed, IMO.
Happens in sports, has happened across basically every media, and shit.

IMO, the real problem is when one group tries to hog the team exclusivity causing others to be underrepresented.
Now:
1: There's already been a male exclusive ghost busters group.
2: there's going to be a second all male team movie IIRC

Kinda makes things even.

At this point we just need them to be good movies.