No Right Answer: Is All-Female Ghostbusters Sexist?

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
Absolutely ridiculous. Of course it?s not sexist. And who cares if it is, anyway? They can do whatever the hell they want with their movie. What?s next? Do you want to go call the Wayan brothers sexist for not having enough white people in their movies?

Sexism, racism, and, and all these other terms have been degraded into dust by over-sensitive twats: ?My demography is not represented in this video game or movie! I declare sexism/racism!?

I think I?d like to go live in a tribe in Africa, where I?ll die from AIDS or stomach worms before I ever have to hear the word ?sexism? ever again. First-world problems, I swear to God...

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
I don't know. Chris, I find you usually make good points, but this week your argument almost seemed kind of lacking, and you never really countered Dan's point about prefering a cast who were on top of their game over it just being a female cast (or at least if you did, I missed it/it went over my head, which I apologise for).

Just to me, at the end of the day, Dan's argument would still be open to a cast of say, the video mentioned Tina Fey and Emma Stone, alongside maybe Amy Poehler and Allison Brie. Four actresses on top of their game that would likely guarantee a good movie, which you never really countered. You almost seemed to clam up into a "Well, they're women, so it must be good!" position regardless of the quality of the comediennes involved. I'm not saying you can't like the cast they've picked out, just you never really seemed to defend the cast on the quality of their work, only based on their gender.

That all being said, good luck on your next endeavor guys, and I look forward to enjoying it!

Kiardras

Feb 16, 2011
No problem with it being an all female cast, in fact I think it could work really well.

My main concern with the new Ghostbusters is that Melissa Mcarthy is about as funny as a brick to the face. Kristen Wiig can be amusing so I look forward to her. Barely know the other two.

subskipper

Sep 5, 2014
I think we have all but lost perspective of what sexism actually is. It's just become a buzzword. Debate-killer. An all male or female cast can never be sexist in and of itself. Context is king. Or queen. Or whateverthefuck.

hooblabla6262

Aug 8, 2008
I hope this movie has success, if only for the increased likelihood that movie studios take more chances like this.
Though I honestly doubt that it will do that good.

I also don't think that an all female cast is sexist, cause that doesn't make any sense. The movie could end up being sexist, but that kind of seems unlikely.
What I do find a little sexist is the announcement of an all male Ghostbusters. Kind of undermines the whole thing.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
hooblabla6262 said:
I hope this movie has success, if only for the increased likelihood that movie studios take more chances like this.

I also don't think that an all female cast is sexist, cause that doesn't make any sense. The movie could end up being sexist, but that kind of seems unlikely.
What I do find a little sexist is the announcement of an all male Ghostbusters. Kind of undermines the whole thing.
So, in your mind announcing an all male ghostbusters is sexist while an all female ghostbusters is not?

Holy double standards batman.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
I think trying to recast a character played by Bill Murray is crazy, regardless of whether the actor is male or female.

RenegadeDuck

Oct 9, 2014
What pisses me off about this whole thing is that you're not even allowed to have a problem with it or else you're a sexist, heteronormative white male who needs to get with the times. And it doesn't even matter what part of it you're taking issue with, people will just inherently think "All female cast = progress = good" so they'll disregard what you have to say as the ramblings of someone who is just trying to get in the way of progress.

I don't have a problem with an all-female cast for the movie. And I don't have a problem because I don't care. When it comes to movies, all the I care about, as a watcher, is being entertained. If we're talking about a cast of female comedians who are fully capable of making me crap myself in laughter while also carrying a good story, good, excellent, then carry on. But if we're talking about a cast that is composed of women just because girl power would sell like hotcakes with the bitchy Tumblr masses who eat, sleep and breath social controversy, then that idea can go copulate with itself and I'll save my money for something greasy and unhealthy to stuff in my face.

My only concern is that this is gonna be one big, fat empowerment-fest instead of something actually focused on trying to be a good movie, and I really don't want Ghostbusters dragged through the mud like that.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
leviadragon99 said:
If it's a good movie it will be a good movie.

If it's a bad movie it will be a bad movie.

Now granted, having a few more good movies with women comprising the central cast certainly wouldn't be a bad thing and on the flipside, such movies could be made without the Ghostbusters license being used, but it really does come down to something that simple.
The thing about using the Ghostbusters license is that people have an expectation when they see the name "Ghostbusters": a few people fighting ghosts, dealing with issues/relationships, and being funny for the most part. With that expectation in mind, people will watch it, and if that expectation is met, people who listen to them (friends and effective audience alike) will watch it.

hooblabla6262

Aug 8, 2008
Lightknight said:
hooblabla6262 said:

So, in your mind announcing an all male ghostbusters is sexist while an all female ghostbusters is not?

It just sort of undermines the whole point of having an all-female ghostbusters.
Like "hey guys we got this new idea for ghostbusters but don't think it's actually going to work, so here's the REAL ghostbusters as well!"

Get what I'm getting at?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Chris Pranger said:
I'm sorry, I just get so damned steamed about this sort of nonsense. We're at the end of the show, we've tried to have fun since we CAN'T make a living off of this, and we're STILL trying to explain the concept of the show to people. After 4 years! And we're still going over the basic crap about what our show's tone, premise, and style is! That just makes me so depressed. -_-
Don't be sorry. There's always some jackass who thinks people do things for ulterior motives and for no other possible reason whatsoever. Let them be jackassess because someone in the world has to be, else how could we even define the term "jackass"?

Oct 22, 2011
It's as sexist as original Ghostbusters.

That said, i too share the sentiment of finally getting past this "this franchise has too much men, we need to balance it with more women" thing, and just go straight to sex parity phase.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
hooblabla6262 said:
Lightknight said:
hooblabla6262 said:

It just sort of undermines the whole point of having an all-female ghostbusters.
Like "hey guys we got this new idea for ghostbusters but don't think it's actually going to work, so here's the REAL ghostbusters as well!"

Get what I'm getting at?
To be fair, if having an all male cast somehow undermines the all female cast, it kinda makes it feel as if the all female version was made just to capitalize on the social political hype of showcasing women. Which cheapens it considering how big of a deal they're making about the fact that it's an all female cast rather than a Ghostbusters movie.

They're using women as a sales pitch Hollywood style the way that big media has sold any hot topic issue.

I have no problem with an all female cast, I'm just not going to get excited about a movie because it has women in it.

I don't get too excited about big Hollywood movies at all considering how most sequels to franchises left alone for a decade plus rarely hold up.

Toothache of Sauron

Jan 4, 2010
Have I said I'm tired of this kind of crap?

We're very respectful of women, we're much for equal rights, but we'll never accept females in roles previously played by males in a natural way. A videogame casts women as the mooks we fight and kill? OUTRAGE! Do we have a female with no love interests like so many male chars in single player games? OUTRAGE! Do we have a female with love interest like so many male chars in single player games? OUTRAGE! We cast an all female main group like there have been so many all male main groups? OUTRAGE! There is no option to play female? OUTRAGE! There is only option to play female? OUTRAGE! Is there an option to play female or male? OUTRAGE! Anywhere there's a woman you keep making up some excuse for OUTRAGE! debate or scandal. I think here is some issue with women that prevents seeing women naturally and whenever they're present you flip out.

Grow fucking up and accept there are women and we're in the XXI century, where they have equal rights. You can't be flipping out every time you see a female videogame character, female TV show or film character or woman working out of her home.

make a point about sexism by getting an idea of how society would treat the situation differently if the people were a different gender
It does, you only have to see all the people screaming sexism when they get an all female cast or any character genderswapped. When people make plain remakes not changing the gender they make no fuss about it. Only that it's a repetition of the same and not really providing anything new. Which can be exactly the same here, though one would need to watch the film to know, which will air in 2016, so let's wait..

P.S. - As other times, I apologize in advance as I don't look much around forums and so and I'm likely to forget checking any answers to iron out any point for debate.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
First and foremost, congratulations on a nearly four-year run with consistently high quality. I still go back sometimes when I'm feeling bad about the world and need a pick-me-up to watch the episode proposing an Archer video game, and then I feel better about things for a while.

Chris Pranger said:
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but why is it that if a topic is relevant, it's us going for clickbait?
I probably ought not to guess about the motivations of people I don't know, but as a general rule, I would say it's an attempt to claim some kind of high ground. Since clickbait is by definition a manipulative and therefore at least collaterally dishonest thing, accusing someone of making clickbait grants the accuser a kind of moral authority as an aggrieved victim trying to defend himself from the horrible men tricking him into watching videos about how much difference a uterus makes in whether an actor can pretend to shoot lasers at ghosts while cracking jokes.

tzimize said:
I'm sorry guys, but in general women are just not funny. And that's not a sexist thing to say, I just don't find them very funny. It has nothing to do with their boobs and vaginas, but all to do with their sense of humor.
Er...you do know the definition of sexism has nothing to do with explicit references to a person's generative organs and secondary sexual characteristics, right? It's defined as attitudes or behaviors based on traditional stereotypes of sexual roles. So when you say one sex can accurately be stereotyped as less funny, that's the dictionary definition of sexism.

Lightknight said:
hooblabla6262 said:
What I do find a little sexist is the announcement of an all-male Ghostbusters. Kind of undermines the whole thing.
So, in your mind announcing an all-male Ghostbusters is sexist while an all-female Ghostbusters is not?

Holy double standards Batman.
It's only sexist if you insist on applying the same standards in a white room without regard for social context. In an industry where the Bechdel Test is a very accurate observation, creating a movie with four female leads is less inherently sexist (though what do I know about the creative team's minds; maybe they're doing it because they think women are better than men and should rule us all in a tyrannical gynarchy in which upon puberty every man is milked for semen to propagate the species and then is ritually castrated, for all I know) than it is an attempt to correct a depressingly childish evil. When that same industry then rushes to reassure an audience that feels outraged and threatened by a comedy starring four people who each own and operate their own personal vagina, that's a lot harder to pass off as anything but sexist.