No Right Answer: Is Destiny Bullsh*t?

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Is Destiny Bullsh*t?

When Escapist Editor-in-Chief Greg Tito dared to mention his dissatisfaction in Destiny, the boys took it upon themselves to debunk (or verify) his statement. What do you think?

Watch Video

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The thing about WoW is that it is, to my knowledge, up front about its costs. People should have expected expansions, because Destiny was up front, but it seems as though they've gone into the realm of Activision's (?) proposed "pay for the ending" model for the story, and I'm sorry, but that is bullshit. And remember when everyone was mad over just the though of that occurring?

TorchofThanatos

Dec 6, 2010
My main issue with Destiny is that it was marketed with a lie. Destiny is an MMO. The game was set up to be an MMO, the grinding system is from and MMO, the dungeons is layed out like an MMO. Does Destiny suck as a first person looter (Like Borderlands)? Yes, it is terrible but it isn't one. Does Destiny suck as a first person shooter MMO (that can only have 16 people in one area, so not very MMO)? Well, no I think it did a good job with that. Not a bad game but not a great one either. Great gameplay but not story to provide context and broken multiplayer. I would have been less disappointed with the game if I knew it was an MMO and then I could set my expectations. I was exporting something different and was disappointed when that wasn't what is was. Oh well. Still have fun for the 20 hours that I played it.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Aren't all the bits where Destiny was compared to WoW rather irrelevant to this conversation? The question isn't "Is Destiny Better than WoW?" It's "Is Destiny a Load of Bullshit?"

To be fair, I haven't played the game so I really can't judge one way or another, all I know is that in terms of the story everything I've heard out of friends that have played the game is that it is indeed bullshit. Apparently Yahtzee's review of it was right on the mark when he said "It sure sounds like a lot of amazing stuff is going on in this war...too bad you're never a part of it." Jim's review said pretty much the same, that your character is supposed to be some super important person but really exists outside of the story.

Just a fun fact: all my friends that had bought Destiny (of which there were 5) have already returned it. :p

aivalera

Aug 30, 2011
Destiny IS Bullsh*t.

1) It's boring.
2) It kicks you out of the mission even when your solo-ing because 'always on'is apparently the future.
3) If you don't pay for Xbox Live / PS+ then grinding is a huge pain.
4) No local Multiplayer.
5) Long loading times.
6) Constantly having to go back to the Tower.
7) Exploring can, and most likely will, get you killed by high level monsters.
8) Having to explore the same terrain over and over again.
9) Story didn't engage me, probably because the game encourages players to disregard it to play Multiplayer.
10)Anytime a story doesn't end right, instant bad mark. Paid DLC is insult to injury.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
17 uses of the phrase "bull shit." It may be a record for you guys, but it's got nothing on that episode of South Park that said the word "shit" over 100 times UN-BLEEPED.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
No public events in a shooter before? Tabula Rasa would like to disagree with you. It may not have been the best game ever, but it still beat Destiny to that particular milestone by 7 years.

Jan 12, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
The thing about WoW is that it is, to my knowledge, up front about its costs. People should have expected expansions, because Destiny was up front, but it seems as though they've gone into the realm of Activision's (?) proposed "pay for the ending" model for the story, and I'm sorry, but that is bullshit. And remember when everyone was mad over just the though of that occurring?
I'd argue that the story in Destiny was weak as a whole, not that they are specifically holding out a conclusion for DLC. It tried to provide a worthwhile experience on it's own, while clearly (as Bungie shouted repeatedly to anyone within earshot) the first of many titles in the Destiny universe for people to buy at a later date.

OT: Come on, NRA; everyone knows Waldorf and Statler don't say, "Bahahahaha", they say, "DOH-Ho-Ho-Ho-Hoh".

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
The gameplay is good and is very solid and addicting, but the story is non-existent. It seems like what they wanted to do was sequel bait everyone, but the bait doesn't work if there was nothing to bite onto. Typically in a story where there is unknown and mystery things are discovered and the world is made whole. In Destiny nothing was ever explained.

Now, I play Destiny a lot because the gameplay is fun and I pretty much go on the patrol and put myself on auto-pilot. It is a time waster I play to just have something going on much like Tetris, Bejeweled or SimCity 2013. That doesn't mean I think Destiny is good as a whole. Same is true of games with great stories and meh gameplay. I have pushed myself through a game with meh gameplay because I needed to know what happened next. Final Fantasy XII comes to mind. I love those characters (outside of Vaan and Penelo) and the story and have good memories of that game.

There is a story to Destiny. it isn't just about running around killing Fallen and the other alien guys (I forget what they are called), but to find out about that story you need to read about it on Bungie's website. From playing the game, I have no idea who the Awoken are or who the Exos are. There is no point in even having different character races because everyone just uses the same dumb intro. It doesn't even matter most of the time because everyone is running around in helmets so all you can actually tell is the character's gender.

I do not care about their conflict, I do not care about who they are and when I started a new character I didn't feel like I was starting over because I never got the sense that I made any progress.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
TorchofThanatos said:
Does Destiny suck as a first person looter (Like Borderlands)?
I would like to credit you for putting the phrase "First Person Looter" into my head. This may be a common thing to others but I'd never heard it before. Thank you.

orangeapples said:
Now, I play Destiny a lot because the gameplay is fun and I pretty much go on the patrol and put myself on auto-pilot. It is a time waster I play to just have something going on much like Tetris, Bejeweled or SimCity 2013.
While this isn't what you were saying, "Destiny : FPS Bejeweled" is pretty much exactly how I've been thinking of it, though hadn't had the words so clearly put before I read what you wrote. Thanks to you, too!

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
If your best defense is "Well, sure it's bad, but it's not as bad as this", you have no defense. It doesn't matter how bad WOW's pay system is, it doesn't matter that Destiny is a refined Halo. Bungie didn't deliver on their promises and is forcing players to pay more to get any semblance of a storyline, and that's bullshit.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
LOL, you think they are going to conclude or even give you a story in the expansions? Don't hold your breath. I will be SHOCKED if there is really more to the dlc story than is in the leaked opening cinematic. Crota has returned, go kill him.

I've never played WOW. But I'm under the impression that it has a lot of big locations and TONS of unique equipment? Where as destiny has 4 small location and like 3 variations of generic equipment per class with like 2 dozen exotics that are actually unique. Of which you can only use 1 weapon and 1 armor. So even when you are maxed at the end game you are still basically the same look as you were in the beginning with maybe a cool helmet or gun.

Oh, and WOW isn't grindy because its fun. Its grindy so you have to play FOREVER to get stuff and keep paying monthly. Its basically an arcade machine. So why did Destiny copy that? Its NOT fun to play the same mission 100 times or more to try and level your stupid equipment, which is scaled during play so whats the point?

I can only assume its to keep you from selling the game, and to force you to buy the dlc just to have something new to do.

Sucks to be them, Destiny is such a disappointment its the first game I've sold back, maybe ever. Certainly since ps2. Screw Bungie, in 10 years when I can get basically the master chief collection for Destiny I might buy it. It might have a real story at that point. But I doubt it. Who will want such a dated grindy mess at that point.

Heres a hint. In this day and age when you claim to huge and expansive you need to remember we've all played skyrim or GTA. We know what expansive and interesting actually is, and heres a funny thing, it comes with both a story and a huge world. FU Bungie, Destiny has NEITHER.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Kahani said:
No public events in a shooter before? Tabula Rasa would like to disagree with you. It may not have been the best game ever, but it still beat Destiny to that particular milestone by 7 years.
Firefall also has them... And that is 100% free AND expansive!
It has awesome bikes and flying.

Dan, you called Destiny "a solid platform to build on" (or sth alike)... but how about they make the platform BEFORE releasing the GAME. Cause people wanted a game, not a platform for whenever.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
Kenjitsuka said:
Dan, you called Destiny "a solid platform to build on" (or sth alike)... but how about they make the platform BEFORE releasing the GAME. Cause people wanted a game, not a platform for whenever.
Hes wrong there too. What platform did destiny make? That solid platform is all Halo.

What did destiny actually do new? Mind numbing grinding, horrible load times, terrible loot system, abysmal match making. Its not even a good interface. Guess what you made the console lead platform, don't design for a mouse. Idiots.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
"So, you liked that thing with the Dinklebot and the Traveler and you having a... wait for it... DESTINY because that's the name of the game? Well, GIVE US MOAR MONEY, YOU PEASANT!"

This is how I'm interpreting the Destiny PR since the game's release. A cousin of mine keeps showing me screengrabs of his supposedly epic Hunter or however you call the basic "grunt" class in this thing. Every time, my response is something along the lines of "You DO know you're essentially ponying up hard cash for a 1080p cow clicker, right?"

His response is disheartening. "Yeah, I know, man, but I just like the grind."

If only different gear pieces significantly changed your playstyle or forced you to go back and forth between a more cautious approach and an aggressive one, I'd have some leniency to spare. The Diablo series is pretty great at making a single character evolve and shift over time, with entire build plans being laid to waste because of *one* incredibly lucky drop. Patch or no patch, I hear that the Engram drops remain terrible.

I'm fairly confident Bungie's much-vaunted ten-year plan won't mean much more than a few extra bells and whistles tossed in the Season Pass, followed by Destiny 2 and more Season Pass bullshit.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Is Destiny Bullshit?

Well, let me answer that question with another question.

Ya know what was the funnest part of Destiny for me? Shooting the Loot Cave....No really.

Not to be snide either. It really was fun. You get together with a bunch of people (who you don't have to chat with), shot aliens coming out of a hole for a couple hours, and every once in a while two mobs from the alien factions come out to fight you so you can test out some of that loot you got and fight with your shooting buddies against stronger enemies.

It really was FUN! :D

-_- And then Bungie killed it, because we were having fun the wrong way.....xp
RJ 17 said:
Just a fun fact: all my friends that had bought Destiny (of which there were 5) have already returned it. :p
Turing in my copy today. Didn't technically buy it (no it isn't stolen), it came with My PS4. So hopefully I can get some cash for it to use on a better game. ;p

Also, a Herman No Right Answer is Best No Right Answer. =w= b (<-Thumbs up face)