No Right Answer: Is Game of Thrones Overrated: The Rebuttal

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Is Game of Thrones Overrated: The Rebuttal

Chris made an episode-long claim that Game of Thrones is overrated. You, the fans, smacked him in the face with reason. This...is that story.

Watch Video

jdarksun

Nov 3, 2003
So this was a really cool episode. I liked that it was a two-parter, and that Chris got a full chance to speak his mind and lay out all his frustrations with the show at once. Both the starting argument and the response were respectful and passionate.

I hope this pair of videos gets a lot of views, I think it would be entertaining if you guys tackled another topic like it in the future.

Epic_Bubble

Oct 19, 2013
I am proud to say I have never watched a single episode of game of thrones.

I am also proud to say
Everyone dies, yeah even a guy who hasn't seen a single episode knows what happens. Oh and some guy gets his hands cut off.

I still find the series to be incredible overrated. Its nothing special, its a flipping HBO bewb wagon which everyone feels a need to be part of due to peer pressure.

But great arguments from both sides. I do feel like it was kinda silly the format though, would have loved to see some stand alone points that weren't rebutted.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Great episode. Well done Kyle. And Chris too, for listening like that.
Didn't change your mind, but you are still watching... that's kinda sad, when there's TONS of stuff you could be watching that you'd like! Maybe Hannibal?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Looking forward to the Rebuttal Rebuttal episode. You have to do one now that the Gauntlet is thrown down with that "I disagree" :p

Epic_Bubble said:
I am proud to say I have never watched a single episode of game of thrones.

I am also proud to say
Everyone dies, yeah even a guy who hasn't seen a single episode knows what happens. Oh and some guy gets his hands cut off.

I still find the series to be incredible overrated. Its nothing special, its a flipping HBO bewb wagon which everyone feels a need to be part of due to peer pressure.

But great arguments from both sides. I do feel like it was kinda silly the format though, would have loved to see some stand alone points that weren't rebutted.
(Full disclosure I'm a Spartacus fan. Just a caveat to why i love the Game of thrones.)

Having never seen it and calling it overrated is by definition just prejudice. Not that you are wrong, I just find it silly to see people berate something they've never experienced.

I'd say to watch a few episodes, but its a moot point anyways, you've already made up your mind. So right on.

I started the show after it aired for about 3 episodes, wanted to see what the hubbub was about. I got hooked by the setting. Having never read the books, i just love the world the show portrayed, Westeros and its mythology. Comicbookgirl19 helped by filling me in on the backstory.

The show is way overrate only because of the attention it gets. Is it the greatest show ever? no but from the media you'd think it was. But it is a very good show to follow. Especially great to binge on. All great shows are. Buy hey different people like different things and i respect that. I've never watched Lost or the Sopranos for the same reasons XD

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
By the sounds of it, I should get back into the show to give it a fair chance. I kind of got bored in the middle of the first season, after all the talking and talking and awkwardly placed sex scenes with brown-haired white guy #64. Actual fight scenes were few and far between and they didn't show the White Walkers since the first 5 minutes of the first episode. If we viewers/readers invest this much time into a long-running story, we expect some damn payoff!

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Chris's face in this episode was priceless because he was just getting completely ripped to shreds and he had no comebacks so had to just shit there.

Either way - it's fair enough if you don't like Game of Thrones, but the point is, don't go and criticise it if you can't be bothered to invest yourself in the show and learn about the characters and get invested in them - because that's what Chris' initial argument was, which is a pretty weak on.

PS the books are better.

Ghadente

White Rabbit
Mar 21, 2009
peoples need to quit listening to the hype machine and allowing media to influence their opinions. Who cares if "everyone and their mom" is or is not watching/playing/doing something?! Ignore all that BS and just find out for yourself. Even if a friend, a buddy, or a guy is claiming something is the best thing ever, take it with a grain of salt.
I personally like to hear opinions from like-minded friends, critics, etc sure, but I don't let them or media hype form my opinion for me.

Duncan Van Ooyen

Mar 13, 2014
Can we please stop having these sing topic "no right discussion", or as you more recently called them "yes vs no" episodes? I joined for the fun "x vs y" in "most, best, worst, least Z". It's a solid format that provides a more open discussion, forcing the debaters to bring up a wider selection of source material, rather than focusing on a single topic and beating it down for a whole episode. The episodes where you occasionally take fan submitted "Who would win?" ideas are not only plenty of fun, but they are more than enough variance to keep the show interesting.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
I watched the first two episodes. I couldn't take any more.

From what I remember, this is what happens in them:

- Boobs.
- Guy molests his sister, then sells her into sex-slavery to a Barbarian. Also, more boobs.
- Brother-and-sister are caught having sex by a kid, who they push out of a window.
- Kid inevitably survives and wakes up. The world's worst assassin is killed by the kid's mother, in what appears to be a stroke of pure luck.
- A dog gets killed.
- Yet more boobs.

Other than that... there's plenty of walking about by characters I haven't gotten to know or care about, talking about stuff that I don't understand or care about. I don't remember the names of any of the characters, except Joffrey, because he's pretty much the focal point of the second episode. I remember that one of the two brother-sister pairings was called the Lannisters.

The first episode opens with an attack on some random guy by HUGE SUPERNATURAL MONSTERS! That are never seen or mentioned again. And no, I had no idea who the guy was or what his importance was to the plot either. Look, I daresay all of this stuff gets tied together in future episodes... but the first fifty-five minutes of the first two episodes was utter boredom, with something dramatic happening at the very end to set up a cliffhanger (which, again, might work if I had any interest in these characters. I don't - they're all either totally despicable or deadly dull. Again, this might change in future episodes, but I've got no interest in sticking around to see if that happens.)

Look guys, I like boobs as much as the next man, but this just felt like far too much of a slog to get to 'em.

I think this is a program for people willing to devote a great deal more time and patience than I'm willing to do. I think it was done quite well for what it was, but from what I saw of it it's not for me. And honestly, if it hasn't sold me in two entire hours' worth of content, it's probably not going to sell me on the rest either. So I get the "naysayers". I think this might be great if you're willing to put the effort in, but I simply wasn't. I don't have the time for it.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
After trying to show the show to several people, including my roommate, I have come to the conclusion that however popular, it is NOT for everyone. It is not because of the big cast, it's not even for the sex. The problem is a lot of viewers nowadays expect immediate and direct payoffs and are not fans of big storylines, something that GOT is a huge part of.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
canadamus_prime said:
It's the "infantile sex" that makes me not want to watch it.
HA! xD That part of the episode got me a bit. I'm 12 sometimes, sorry. ;p

That said, the sex stuff does turn me off it a bit too. (<-Easy pun target.);D

Plus, there are other places to see dragons. Fun enough episode though. =w= b

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
So all the arguments FOR Game of Thrones indicate it has the RIGHT to be crap. I'll give it that.

I'm not a Martin basher. "Fevre Dream" is my favorite vampire novel.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Didn't attempt to justify the sex like many commenters successfully did. 0/10

Also, and I can't be alone in this, the sex is not that frequent and not that explicit. Just because it doesn't happen in TV shows doesn't mean it doesn't have a right to happen more often if the TV show is trying to be serious.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Being put off by an abundance of boobs seems as pathetic as watching it for lots of boobs. Get over it. The boobs have massively been reduced now, so if that's what's holding you back then rest assured - chest fat should no longer interrupt your viewing experience.

I found this episode more entertaining than I thought it would be, but I can't fight the nagging suspicion that it's just reverse snobbery on Chris' behalf (especially considering some of the stuff these guys like). It's a very solid series, and while the TV show isn't as good as the books, it's definitely up there with other top notch TV shows. People are put off by it's popularity, wrongfully going into the show cynically.

Domoslaf

Nov 10, 2009
I'm 100% with Chris. I hate that show. It's not only bad, it also makes the world a worse place. People actually use it as an excuce to being assholes.

Also: "I watch it because it's more like real life".
My god.

It's not and I don't want to have anything to do with you or your life.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Verlander said:
Being put off by an abundance of boobs seems as pathetic as watching it for lots of boobs. Get over it. The boobs have massively been reduced now, so if that's what's holding you back then rest assured - chest fat should no longer interrupt your viewing experience.
I agree completely (although the phrase "the boobs have massively been reduced now" made me laugh) although I will say that ep 5 of this season was the first time that I actually found the nudity to be a bit irritating, both with Salladhor Saan talking with whores for no reason and a fight scene intercut with Ramsay having sex for no reason.

The unnecessary nudity thing is probably the most valid general criticism for the show. It's just one of those things that bother some people and not others.

The whole insistence that the Red Wedding doesn't matter isn't just wrong it's really weird. It's akin to saying "who gives a fuck about blowing up some space station" as a response to destroying the death star.

Also Kyle knows a shit load about the show for someone who never watches it (if he reads the books then this would make sense)