No Right Answer: Most Uninteresting Game Genre

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Most Uninteresting Game Genre

Dan and Kyle take some time to vent on game genres that just aren't any fun. Plus Dan reveals a childhood trauma. FUN!

Watch Video

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Someone needed to play more Bloodbowl and Quidditch =D

It's hard to tell because I like sports, whereas I'm not a car person, but at least sports games are pretty easy topick up and play and are relatively dynamic and interesting games to start with (unless you want to play cricket/baseball, but then what you want to do in your spare time is none of my business). The only time racing games are accessible, never mind fun, is when they're super arcadey. If I try to play Gran Turismo it's hard enough going round one bend without flipping out or touching another car or slowing down to 0 miles an hour.

And then if I get round that bend, what am I rewarded with? Another bend to go around. The whole game is literally just going round bends in a giant never ending circle until someone tells you you can stop

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Blood Bowl - American Football, with Orcs, Ogres, Zombies and Demons! In turn based! Near zero reality! :D

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
I'm in full agreement with Dan here, because at least Racing games have proven useful to modders in completely different genres. One only needs to see the miles of Forza cars that show up in GTA mods and Garry's mod to prove my point.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Damn I miss NBA Jam and NFL Blitz. I'm also remembering a game called NHL Hitz(?) and I'm guessing they probably made one for MLB and other sports as well. At least those weren't so constrained by reality.

Also, I'm kinda disappointed they didn't mention Twisted Metal when the discussion turned to car combat.

Seems like most people play video games to get away from reality, not be held back by what is "realistic".

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
As a whole Sports Games can be more uninteresting. But for the most uninteresting sport you'd have to go to the motor sport that is NASCAR.

I can have fun with a Monster Truck game where all you do is jump over or flatten already damaged vehicles. I can have fun with a motocross game where I can do all sorts of stunts. Illegal Street Racing still pretty fun though its getting sucked up into Sand Box Games.

But NASCAR? Okay here is a motor sport game where all you do is race around a oval for 3 - 500 Laps; 500 for the people who are real hardcore NASCAR fans.... Damn I find the tracks so boring I couldn't keep interested for half a lap. Not to mention you all have the same car but with different advertisements.... So not only does it suck as a game but its trying to bombard you with commercials for crap you don't want.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Nonsense and shenanigans! Someone needs to make a game about a sport you can't just go play? There have been a bunch of those! What's more, racing games are sports games! And just because you lot don't like sports does not mean the genre is boring, it means you just don't like sports. How do sports and racing games beat out genres like "God-awful real life job simulator 20XX" or "Something Mama" or any other genre where you have almost no actual gameplay and pretty much no way to lose?

How about Bloodbowl, Footbrawl, Quiddich, Trackmania? Yeash!

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Loki_The_Good said:
Jandau said:
Blood Bowl - American Football, with Orcs, Ogres, Zombies and Demons! In turn based! Near zero reality! :D
I thought of blood bowl at first too though I'm not sure if it's really a sports game or a sports themed strategy game, but maybe that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. This may be through rose colored glasses but I kind of miss loony toons B-ball for the snes. Not only were you play with loonie toons but they all had special abilities. Nothing like sinking a three pointer from across the court with marvin the martians magnet ball. Or Rough housing with Taz. ... I think that's the problem with the realism kick. We forgot to have fun. Embrace the silly people.
Strategy thought gets completly screwed by the dice in Blood bowl for better or for worse.

Get your chaos minotaur killed by a goblin against all odds? That stuff happens.

But there are more "fun" sports games that dont really exist like that in real life then there are racing games that do something new and/or exiting.

So most boring game genre for me is the racing genre.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
Both genres are self-limiting due to their need for a target audience that is a dedicated fan of the subject already. There's little incentive to become an avid Madden or NBA2kwhatever player if you're not already a rabid fan of that sport.

In that regard, I'd say that driving/racing games start off with a smaller fan-base, but are easier to get into.

Mario-Kart is the proof that most racing simulators are a waste of effort by the designer though. Of all the racing games out there, the one that you'd jump back into in an instant (and try to get friends to play) isn't a hyper-realistic modern racing simulator (or an old one) but rather it's the N-64 Mario Kart, which bares no resemblance to any vehicle or race ever made, but is just FUN.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Gorrath said:
How do sports and racing games beat out genres like "God-awful real life job simulator 20XX" or "Something Mama" or any other genre where you have almost no actual game play and pretty much no way to lose?
Because those games prove video games can be something more than Ego builders.

You may find something like Harvest Moon boring but when such mechanics of a game are pulled into a game like Skyrim it actually makes Skyrim more immerse. And what about the person who doesn't want to be killed while playing the parts that have nothing to do with killing? Well there's always Harvest Moon.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
bdcjacko said:
NBA Jam is indeed the only sports game worth playing.

BOOM SHACKALACKA!!!!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, I forgot about Boom Shackalacka! Man, that was the best.

umbraticus

May 4, 2011
hmm, kyle's argument is kind of invalid when talking about arcade racers... this was a onesided battle in my opinion :p

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Kyle loses because of Top Gear on the SNES and Burn Out Revenge on the 360.
Those are awesome games ;)
And mind you, BO: R had great (and evnetually super difficult) racing in it, without the crashing of opponents.
And that STILL was fun!!! :D