No Right Answer: Superman Red Son vs. Kingdom Come

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Superman Red Son vs. Kingdom Come

Learn the answer to last week's debate between Ozai and Goku for worst father ever. And then stay on for some deep debate on the What If comic that most deserves the movie treatment. Is it Superman: Red Son, the Russian elseworld, or Kingdom Come, the epic possible future of the DC universe?

Watch Video

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Honestly you both lose since there is no way that DC will make those two comics into a film ever and since it's not Batman (well he is in it) it would be bad given to the track record from DC movies.

I suppose if they do make and will turn out good, I would go with Superman Red Son due to there are too many superheroes in Kingdom Come (which the fan boys will complain to no end with the characters casting).

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I'd kinda like to see a Superman red son movie if they shot it like the X-men first class.

Not really sure about a Kingdom come movie, but i've never read it. And Im sure i'll get quoted for this about how I should, I dont care, i will if i want to, telling me to is only going to make me hate it.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Come on guys, everyone knows the best "What If" is the one where Aunt May gains the Power Cosmic and becomes a Herald of Galactus.....I shit you not.

Second best is the "What If" of Professor X dead from the Legacy Virus and all the X-peoples get in an uproar and then Cable's evil twin KILLS WOLVERINE BY THROWING HIM INTO SPACE! And it sticks, Wolvie is dead.

rancher of monsters

Oct 31, 2010
Those results were bullshit. Goku only one because of his popularity. Ozai is a horrible parent when he hates his children and even when he loves them. There is nothing he has done for them that was even remotely positive. Goku might be stupid, but even he occasionally did things for the benefit of his children.

I do agree with this episode though. Commie Superman is a story I'd like to hear.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I do agree that both stories should be adapted...into animated films. I for one cannot see either story adapted to live-action form. For one, a Communist Superman would be a hard-sell for the average movie-goer, unless you dumb down the story to yet another Superman vs Luthor movie, and pull a bullshit "he switches sides to America/the world" ending. And two, we still don't have a Justice League movie. What makes a Kingdom Come film any more possible?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
From what I understand, Kingdom Come (prior to the DC reboot) was supposed to be canon, not a what-if.
Edit: OT But as a movie it doesn't work very well. The story-arc and framing device are classic and would not translate to either animation or big-screen. It is from the perspective of a non-super powered religious figure who is taken by the Spectre and shown events surrounding what seems to be superhero/villain armageddon. The perspective is what gives the story meaning and in a movie sense it would be totally lost.
Red Son would probably make the better animated movie/live-action film. But as it goes, I still feel the Kingdom Come story to be the more hard hitting of the two.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
Interesting one, since I think those are two of the best superman stories out there.

But yeah, the logistic of doing Kingdom Come is already pretty difficult... even in the comic itself, few of the characters have important role... big names like Flash, Green Lantern and so forth are basically setting pieces, because if everybody had their story arc, the story would be ten time has big as it already is.

But in the comic, they don't really need to do much more... the comic book fan know who those people are and he gets a mini-nerdgasm everytime he sees the new costume design and new purpose of one of his old favorite... even if his old favorite barely has 2 lines to say in the 200+ page epic.

So introducing literally 50 or so characters to then just have them stand around and do nothing... except be part of the big mega-brawl at the end would probably confuse the hell out of people.

Red Son is a much more approachable story/movie on its own, as it makes do with the 'superflous' character and focus on a cast of 6 to 7 'well known' comic book character/archetype.

That's not to say Red Son is a better book or would even be a better movie... but from a marketing point of view, it's just a better idea.

blitz609

Sep 11, 2008
I'm liking the series so far guys but why on earth would you show off your copy of Final Fantasy X-II?

Ponch

Mar 31, 2010
Has the absence of the Jones Soda been addressed yet? I liked the different "theme" flavors.
Also, pretty good quote of the week.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
Im sorry, even in this day and age where the Soviet Union has been defeated for over 20 years, there is no way Hollywood would make a communist Superman movie. Not going to happen, though it is doable.

Kingdom Come, while logistically impossible with its huge cast, would be a badass movie. I would even go so far as to say that if DC didnt change continuity every 5 seconds I could accept that as a actual future DC story instead of an alternate dimension story.

That being said, since those movies are undoable lets focus on a future DC story that is doable, has a story that alot of people know, and could even begin a new franchise. Batman Beyond. Think about it, after Bale's run is done and a few years go by people will want something new, fresh. This fits perfectly. The story has all the ingredients of a Batman movie, tragedy(although Terry only lost his dad and he and his dad wherent the closest to begin with), origin, action. You can still go for a realistic style like the Bale movies, but since its the future you can bring in all kinds of crazy tech. The Batsuit and old Bruce will also help speed up the whole, "hero trains and gathers resources" part the superhero movies tend to have since . Terry originally stole the suit and went out, so we can get right into Bat-action quickly. Then we can dial it back it bit and have Old Bruce teach him a bit then have a big climatic showdown.

Now tell me thats not only doable, but awesome.

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Both wrong
Oh man, I love that comic, especially since John Cleese co-wrote it. Top stuff.

As for the argument, Red Son is an amazing story by a mile, better then Kingdom Come in my opinion.

That said, if DC wants to do a period superhero movie, make The New Frontier. It's probably the best comic i've read, and it does a fairly good job of explaining and discovering a wealth of new characters. They did an animated movie of it, and that was great too. Truly, truly awesome stuff, I highly recommend it.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I know it's photoshop'd but that Avengers poster is one of the coolest things I've sseen in a long time.

3:54 0_0 I don't know where Dan gets his fanart, but job well done.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Kinda a dick move with that fakeout Haaa!

And I still think the judge is a dick for not only lumping in ATLA with Anime, but denouncing all anime as bad, tosser.

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Both wrong

wait was that a real thing?! awsome...

rancher of monsters said:
Those results were bullshit. Goku only one because of his popularity. Ozai is a horrible parent when he hates his children and even when he loves them. There is nothing he has done for them that was even remotely positive. Goku might be stupid, but even he occasionally did things for the benefit of his children.
well ozai kind of loves azula but i must agree goku is stupid but not a bad father...

also the only elseworld movie we need is:

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
amaranth_dru said:
From what I understand, Kingdom Come (prior to the DC reboot) was supposed to be canon, not a what-if.
Like most all DC shenanigans, KC is given its own 'universe' within the multiverse, so that writers could incorporate it into the official continuity anytime they wish. But it's a else-worlds title (similar to what-if stories)

I would agree with JBird that both stories should be animated instead of live action. I don't know Red Son that well, but Kingdom Come can't be done on a realistic budget without severely limiting the scope.

Kingdom Come was one (if not first) DC comic series i ever read. I had basic knowledge of Superman, Batman, Wonder Wonder and the other big characters, but I had never heard of Captain Marvel and didn't know much about the other characters either. I spent a lot of the time looking at the back of the collected series at the character portraits, trying to connect what i was reading to what i saw.

It was definitely a crash course into the DC universe.

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
Well, since we all know that Elseworld's Superman: Speeding Bullets is the best, there really is no right answer (given our choices of Red Son or Kingdom Come).

But the best Superman story every told is a tie between Action Comics #775 and the Superman/Gen13 miniseries (this is certainly the best SuperGIRL story ever told, and the best non-Adam Warren Gen13).