No Right Answer: The Killing Joke vs Watchmen

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
The Killing Joke vs Watchmen

A psychotic madman who tries to prove that he just had one bad day vs a villain that basically use the "3 laws of robotics" loophole to help people. Which one stands the test of time as Alan Moore's best work? Post your choices below or on twitter!

Watch Video

Visulth

Jun 25, 2009
Hmm. Not sure what exactly is wrong with this show, it just seems a bit off. Dialogue feels unnatural and stilted, the co-stars don't seem to have much chemistry, and I never feel like I learn or gain anything from the experience of watching one of these videos.

Oh well. I hope the quality picks up but if it doesn't the show probably won't be sticking around. Win-win I suppose?

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Alan Moore doesn't write "graphic novels". He writes comic books. There's a difference, because he's a crazy old man.

Dok Zombie

Apr 24, 2008
Calling bullshit on this one, Killing Joke isn't even the best Joker story, let alone better than Watchmen. (For the record, the best Joker story is Lovers And Madmen, which has my second favourite scene* in any Batman comic, that perfectly sums up the Batman/Joker relationship).

I met Alan Moore once, he did a guest lecture at De Montfort University and spent twice as long talking to people and signing stuff than he did lecturing. So now my copy of Watchmen is signed by Alan Moore AND Dave Gibbons and would probably be the thing I grabbed if my house was on fire.

*The first being when Batman decks Superman with the Kryptonite ring in Hush. Take that you fucking nancy boy do-gooder.

therockdemon

Mar 17, 2011
they are wrong on this watchmen is the most well known grapic novel ever made and it made it onto the times 100 best novel of all time how can you argue with that

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Ne1butme said:
Wow, so chris won because of a vagina joke?
Yeah this episode was crap for that point alone. Kyle deserved two points for his final chug speech. Once for his 'Who watches the Watchment' speech and a second for explaining how it fits every comic book universe.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
I know they only pick two things to put head to head, but League of Extraordinary Gentlemen would have gone better against Watchmen. Though, I guess it's not as popular as The Killing Joke.

May 5, 2010
Is it just me, or does Chris always win? I mean, I haven't really been keeping track, but I think Kyle's getting kinda screwed here. Especially since he's usually right.

SuccessAndBiscuts

Nov 9, 2009
Open question, since when were there pictures between the chapters in the Harry Potter books? I've got the whole series and the only artwork is on the covers, so given that I'm in the UK the only explanation I can think off was that this was something to do with the US release?

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
The Killing Joke wins for me becuase it has Batman in it but I like Watchmen for it's exploration of superhero themes and the genre.

I think Chris wins because Kyle is quieter I think that needs to be taken into account :p I look forward to these now, keep it up guys :)

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Why do people get so upset 'cause "wrong side won"? It's called "No right answer".
I'm not sure how they keep score but it's no chance that it's always a tie before the "drink segment" (still not sure about the rules for that one)
It's about the debate, and to take crazy views on shit, the obvious answer might be right, but it's also boring, that's why their batman episode had the two without a doubt worst/ most forgettable actors.
I really like this show. Keep it up

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Mmm, personally I find comparing the two of them to be pretty apples and oranges as it essentially came down to a prefference between short, sharp storytelling and a more involved piece.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I guess I can politely just say I simple disagree with this video.
Also I think it's unfair that the two books are pin against each other due to the pages are too different to each other (I don't think the whole either too long or too short is justify as an arguement).

Feb 13, 2008
V for vendetta?
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?
Skizz?
Halo Jones?
D.R. and Quinch?
Swamp Thing?
Hellblazer?
ABC Warriors?
Doctor Who? (Comic only :( )

Killing Joke spawned the Miller series, so loses points.
Watchmen is only his most well-known work, not his best.

Like last week, it's not "No Right Answer" it's "Not The Right Candidates".

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Ah, Watchmen's text sections. All good, apart from Dan Dreiberg's chapter about birds, which I don't think anyone has ever actually read.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I'd say it's a tie. Watchmen was incredible (and the movie was pretty good too), The Killing Joke was incredible, but you want to know what the true best Alan Moore story was?

hipster666

Dec 13, 2009
I must admit I'm actually impressed with both the topic and the debate this week. Seems odd to actually have two decent choices to argue against and a good change in my opinion.

As much as it might annoy people I actually agree with the arguments made and the decision reached. While Watchmen is a magnus opus in terms of shaping comic book history, the depth to which it went and explored and the amazing interplay of complex characters and idiologies, it is not without it's problems. I mean it's easily one of my favourite graphic novels, but The Killing Joke just had something for me. Its brevity is a genuine pleasure because what it packs into that short space is incredible! Many of the Jokers that have been onscreen since it's writing have cited it as an influence, either from the actors playing the Joker or the writers writing the part. The wild veering from terrifying psychotic behaviour to sheer whimsy is SO stark and so sudden at times that you can't help but be drawn along by the story and I love how it plays out.