No Right Answer: Videogame Franchise that Needs to Die the Most

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
Just want to compliment the video editor for those incredibly hilarious images!

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Just people some people don't like a franchise doesn't mean it has to die, as long as some people still enjoy it and it, who's it hurting. I've never understood this stance, like with CoD and how people think it needs to go away, it's not hurting people who don't play it. I don't play it, but it doesn't bother me either.

It just seems like a childish thing to say about any franchise, because we have all seen franchises get rebooted or get sequels that breathe new life into the IP with new ideas.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
Sonic, easily. CoD may be repetitive but I would never say they were bad games. There is really wrong with them outside of a lack of any meaningful change from game to game.

Meanwhile Sonic has had truly terrible game after terrible game. The brief sparks of life that was part of generations and colors were little more than someone sticking the corpse's finger in an electrical socket.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
I love Sonic, but a lot of people are leaving out the travesty that was Sonic 4 episodes 1 & 2. Those games should never have seen the light of day and are so incredibly bad.

With that said Colours, Riders, Rush and Generations were all awesome. My younger cousins love current Sonic almost as much as I loved the original titles. I do think that it is often considered trendy to hate on Sonic games even though they obviously still have an audience. That audience is quite young or nostalgic, so generally is undefended on forums. Yeah the old "hasn't been a good Sonic game since Adventure or whatever is completely invalid.

Call of Duty doesn't have the potential to be a great series. It is what it is and will continue to survive because of that fact. It is an arcade style FPS game. It's something to do just because you want to waste time. There are both short term and long term rewards, kill streaks and gun unlocks. Even rip offs do well like Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. There's a big demand for simplistic multiplayer in that type of game.

Basically No Right Answer was lazy and covered two of the more "popular" choices for bashing as opposed to coming up with original ideas or arguments.

If it was me? I'd go for Prince of Persia or Diablo. Prince of Persia for the PS2 I loved, but I don't think the recent releases are a reflection of it's hayday. I know it's going on Hiatus for a while... It's probably for the best. Diablo I just never really got into... it was pretty much a game to play with friends but failed to hold attention as much as other games. Blizz's terrible handling of the RMAH, automated bans and post release testing (they didn't thoroughly test Inferno Difficulty), really destroyed the last release for me and my friends.

I hope the guys put more effort into their next vid.

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
It would have been hilariously ironic if he'd argued for killing off Medal of Honour instead of Call of Duty. Since it, you know, actually was put down earlier this week.

H Hog

Mar 29, 2011
"NOBODY'S ENJOYING SONIC ANYMORE HE'S IN A KART RACING GAME!?"
Dude, was that a rip on Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed? I'm sorry, but have you even PLAYED it?
It's way freaking better than Mario Kart's last few outings, that's for sure.
Dare I say I enjoyed it more than some of the last few actual Sonic games I played -- and while I know that doesn't help Sonic's case much, you really shouldn't rip on a solid, enjoyable, and well-put-together game just for being "hurr durr kart racer".

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
FoolKiller said:
Casual Shinji said:
erttheking said:
Urh said:
It's not just CoD that needs to die as a franchise, but rather the whole genre of spunkgargleweewee.
Really the only thing that needs to die is that term
Everytime someone copies Yahtzee's terminology a koala gets its spine torn out. I can hear them screaming.
What's a koala doing fighting Sub-Zero?

Personally, I want CoD to die more than Sonic. While the Sonic games may be atrocious, they are not doing the damage to the game industry that CoD's popularity and sales have.
Yeah, I think for the sake of our image as gamers, CoD's got to change it's style or stick a fork in it.
Some more game franchises that have run their course are God of War, Resident Evil, and Final Fantasy. Eachnew installment just feels like an empty cashing in on the name at this point.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Im fine with shit games exsisting, its when good games get passed over for the same old shit that pisses me off.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Red X said:
canadamus_prime said:
Hey I LIKED Sonic Adventure 2!
So did I and most of the gamers i know, at the least the sound track was mostly cool. And it's rare for anything sonic related to end on a downer, if it hadn't been for Sonic we wouldn't have had Crush 40. I'm still waiting for sonic adventure 3 though. The sonic Advance Games are great (the first probaly being the best) i like Rush however since Advance 2 they (Dimps) are starting to be generic with all the boosting.
I'm obviously a sonic fanboy (well, fanatic) so you can imagine how furious I was with Sonic 06 my gawd, suck great fury!
Haven't played Sonic4 yet but Colours, Generations and Half of Unleashed where good too great (i liked the werehog stuff on it's own but it makes a bad Sonic game). In short there are more good and unique sonic games hard to say that about Cod Beyond Modern Warfare, i'd say. Oh and that sonic racing game is really cool too.

Anyway CoD is weird the thing is it can't die because it's barely alive most are the same and boardering on offensive (story wise) the latest game has some cool stuff in it but it's short lived in story mode meaning you get the same as the last game.

Really most companies are having this problem with their franchises, I don't even think it's the lack of new ideas but rather their lazy execution
Yeah, why does everyone ignore the existence of the Sonic Advance games, esp. those who pine for the old 2D platforming? I mean it'd be one thing if they did the usual dipshit fanboy thing and whine about how they still involved all of Sonic's friends that everyone hates, but nobody ever mentions them EVER. WTF?

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Urh said:
It's not just CoD that needs to die as a franchise, but rather the whole genre of spunkgargleweewee.
I really can't take anyone seriously if all they do is regurgitate Yahtzee's soundbytes instead of coming up with their own rationale.

I have a friend who, on several occasions, has quoted a Yahtzee review almost verbatim when prompted for this thoughts on a new game. When asked how he formed that opinion, he just shrugged and said "that's what I heard". He didn't play it. He didn't read reviews. He didn't even know what it was about. He just knew that Yahtzee thought it was shit.

If we limit ourselves to a binary consideration of shit that Yahtzee likes or doesn't like, we are severely limiting our capability to just enjoy some fucking games. Portal and Silent Hill 2 are wonderful, but they're not all there is to gaming.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Pretty much the adventure games were the best and its gone down hill from there, mix that with zelda and larger environments and you have pure win! Cod piece can die tho....

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Sonic doesn't need to die: unlike Call of Duty, Sonic isn't afraid to innovate and indeed the last few games have been different to each other. There was the colors-based one, the omage to the series past, the Hog-Wolf one, the Black Knight and, Arabian Nights one and, the unofficial 3rd installment to Adventure this generation alone (not counting the digital release of Sonic The Hedgehog 4 and his appearance in Smash Bros).

Call of Duty hasn't really introduced much more than 'zombies' and as far as innovation goes that's about as risky as adding pepperoni to your pizza. Granted way back in 05' or 06' the franchise decided to make their fourth numbered title a modern day affair rather than another WW2 shooter so there's a point-and-a-half to Call of Duty.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
I think one of the major lessons from this thread should be, if you haven't played the most recent iteration in a series then you really have no place commenting on it's longevity.

Stop and think, "Did you even play it?".

The Comedian

Dec 12, 2012
rayen020 said:
Ugh... Bring up sonic and i'm out. immediately. I know what you're gonna do and i'm tired of it. So go ahead and dump on Sonic and get it over with. I'm out.

And wrong franchise, CoD is fine, Medal of Honor franchise needs to die. Also, Star wars as games.
well I have some good news for you then. Medal of honor is dead. The last game sold so porly that the franchise has been dropped.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121799-Electronic-Arts-Drops-Medal-of-Honor

Lucky Godzilla

Oct 31, 2012
You know, as long as people continue to buy and enjoy games, I see absolutely no reason for "killing" a franchise. The sole exception is probably Sonic due to the fact that they have deviated so much from what made Sonic fun to play with in the first place. That or series that wrapped up nicely, but which the developers drag out to make a quick buck on an established IP.

Looking right at you Halo 4.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
You know, I really don't understand why so many think Resident Evil needs to go the way of the dodo instead of Call of Duty. At least RE innovates, has an interesting story, characters you actually remember and like, and isn't the cause of every game series heading toward some sort of dumbed-down, mediocrity singularity.