No Right Answer: Videogame Franchise that Needs to Die the Most

AnEnglishDragon

Jan 29, 2013
Someone on the Facebook comments pointed out that the CoD series has none of the DRM bullshit that is dragging down AAA gaming. It just suffers from familiarity of experience, using the SAME FUCKING ENGINE FOR HALF A DECADE, and overpriced (but ultimately unnecessary) map packs. But seriously when a game series has, for four games in a row now, broken the previous sales records, and it has NO DRM, that is something to be CHAMPIONED. CELEBRATED. DON'T KILL THAT.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I dunno.. I would think that the better route would be to simply stop pining over what you used to like if it has since changed and just move on to play something you do.

Sonic as it exists now doesn't somehow eliminate the fun I had with the series up to Sonic 3. CoD as it exists now doesn't somehow eliminate the fun I had with Modern Warfare. I don't play either series now and I still have more games I want to play than I have the time or money for.

In this case, perhaps more than any other, I would say that the title "No Right Answer" is an apt one.

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
I suppose what I think about is: What would we lose if said franchise stopped?
In CoD's case: Not much. There's no shortage of Multiplayer FPS games, and certainly no shortage of modern military shooters. There are so many CoD imitators, reminding me that CoD started life as a Medal of Honor imitator.
Unless they wanted to do something more interesting with WW2, like exploring some of the less famous parts of the war, then there's not much else for them left to say.

With Sonic, we'd be losing one of the more colorful franchises still in existence. Even when it's made failed attempts at being serious and dramatic, it's still proud of the fact that it LOOKS like a video game. Even with a handful of awful games in the series, it's still Sonic the Hedgehog and it's an important part of video game culture both historically and in image. CoD is basically a dull Michael Bay film for X-Box live trolls.
I'm not saying that it didn't have major impact on the culture, I'm just saying it's impact might not have been the most positive thing to have happened.

Besides, Generations and Colors have thoroughly proved Sega's ability to produce decent Sonic titles when they put their mind in the right place.
CoD, on the other hand, will be exactly the same the next time you play as the last time you played it. It will innovate only when it absolutely has to, and will never stop trying to screw you over on DLC and other shady practices, because that's what Activision does.

personion

Dec 6, 2010
I'd buy a game called "Advanced Wardick" just for the name alone. Imagine the conversations it would start when someone walks into your room, and sees that game laying around!

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Milanezi said:
I like Call of Duty, I think it's valid and fun, what I don't think we need are copycats of Call of Duty
So...Call of Duty?

There is a greatpoint made in this video, that the more recent CoD clones probably wouldn't have sold as well if they neglected the Call of Duty name. It's just a typical Activision move, flogging the dead horse of a formerly good franchise until it runs in to the ground and then blame the market. Kind of like Guitar Hero.

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
Excellent debate. Dan in particular was in fine form today. Also very topical since I just watched a let's play with the HAWP crew of Sonic Adventures 2 which really is a slow, terrible game. That being said, wasn't Dan supposed to get the final word given that he won?

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Sonic might be something I don't enjoy but it doesn't spill over into other genres.

Spunkgargleweewee however does encroach on other genres.

Sonic is harmless outside its fanbase, Spunkgargleweewee is not.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Hey I LIKED Sonic Adventure 2!
AGREED!

Honestly when he said there was an HD 3D remake at PAX my joy levels rose to maximum levels!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I think Sonic vs Final Fantasy would have been a closer contest. :p

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Raioken18 said:
I think one of the major lessons from this thread should be, if you haven't played the most recent iteration in a series then you really have no place commenting on it's longevity.

Stop and think, "Did you even play it?".
Completely agreed. Look people, if you played the last few Sonic games and still don't think they were improvements, then fine, whatever. I have nothing against that. But I get the impression that most of the people still jumping on the "Sonic sucks" bandwagon are doing just that, without having played or researched anything concerning the more recent titles.

Gotta say though, I'm surprised to see that whenever articles or videos like this pop up on the internet anymore, there *are* more defenders then there used to be. If Sega can hit a couple more home runs, then I wonder if everyone else might start catching on?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
I'd say Cod deserves to go more then Sonic, least Sonic team are still trying to make good games, who ever makes CoD just seems to copy/paste from last year

Chris Pranger

Aug 31, 2011
Chris would like to make it known that he both owned and loved Sonic Adventure 2 on the GameCube so much that he also bought the soundtrack and still listens to it to this very day because Shadow's theme is straight-up the sheezy, yo.

Chris Pranger

Aug 31, 2011
Also for the record, Chris would have made the debate The Legend of Zelda vs Final Fantasy, but he's restricted from debating such topic anymore and neither Kyle nor Dan could have made his sexy, sexy points the same way he would have.

Chris will now stop talking in third-person.

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
Sonic hasn't had a good game since the Dreamcast / gamecube / PS2 generation.

Call of Duty stumbles around, but its largely tapping a market that wouldn't be there otherwise, and at least tries to innovate. I mean, Blopity Boop 2 : This time the terrorists are from somewhere other than Russia and the Middle East is literally the biggest deal since COD:4, which was in itself a half decent game.

Sonic's not doing anything, and not going anywhere.

Eh, and for one out of left field, The Elder Scrolls needs to die. If ever there was a pretentious game posing as the quintessential gamer's game, its the most recent iterations of the franchise. At least COD never pretended to be that (well, sort of) and Sonic was always supposed to be for kids.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Where can I purchase this "Advanced Wardick" it seems useful.

Also, Sonic Adventure 2 was the only 3-D one I had fun with. I bought SA1 on Dreamcast, 2 on GC, Heroes and Colors (which my little sister played more than I did). SA2 had the Chao minigame, a decent enough story, and pretty good platformer mechanics with plenty of stuff you could easily make harder than it had to be...just like all good Sonic games.

Also, Sonic Adventure 2 had a great soundtrack courtesy of Crush 40.

Darth Pope

Jun 30, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Hey I LIKED Sonic Adventure 2!
Damn right you do, it's one of my all time favorites.

The question now becomes if they can make an actual, genuine, honest-to-god modern Sonic game with just the version we saw in the day stages of Unleashed or modern stages of Generations without something else slapped on it to try and change purely for the sake of change.
What makes this even more irritating is that the slump the series experienced from about 2002 to 2008/09-ish is greatly exaggerated. Did the series have a chronic case of the main series games having questionable quality ranging from mediocre to painful? Yes. But no one outside the fandom (hell even some people in it) seems to remember that during this six to seven year time period, five perfectly good handheld titles came out who's quality ranged from good (Sonic Advance 2) to great (Sonic Advance 3/Rush). Both the Advance Trilogy and the two Rush titles were masterfully crafted successors to the Genesis Era Sonic games. The Advance Trilogy is a true successor to the classic games, and for all of it's posturing, the first Sonic Advance is far more worthy of the title Sonic the Hedgehog 4 than the game that actually bears that name will ever be. The two Rush games were a wonderful breath of fresh air for the series, revamping the classic gameplay with a modern touch to create a very addicting play style that had me coming back to my DS for months.

Also as several have noted here Unleashed, Colors, and Generations have all come out over the last several years. Half of Unleashed was a perfectly good game and the other half was so okay it's average at worst. The werehog gets way more hate than it needs to. Colors was fantastic and Generations was nothing short of a masterpiece who's only real flaws were a annoying final boss and being too short. TL:DR, Sonic was never entirely bad and is indisputably good today. So quite your ignorant slander of a classic series making a serious turnaround.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I haven't played a Sonic game since Sonic and Knuckles, I'll admit it's hard to imagine sonic in a 3D world.

Eagerly awaiting Call of Duty 3: Modern Jackass 7: Advanced War Dick