No Right Answer: Videogame Franchise that Needs to Die the Most

TheOrb

Jun 24, 2012
I found the DS Sonic games to be really enjoyable...

I'm liking the hilarious lines that ask for the likes; sadly, I don't have The FaceSpacebookkit.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Yeah, I'm an old-timer who played the original Sonics on the Genesis and loved them, always been critical of the 3d sonics. But Sonic Generations is good, and the most interesting thing after playing it was that I found the "modern Sonic" levels more fun than the "classic Sonic" levels.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
Ugh... Bring up sonic and i'm out. immediately. I know what you're gonna do and i'm tired of it. So go ahead and dump on Sonic and get it over with. I'm out.

And wrong franchise, CoD is fine, Medal of Honor franchise needs to die. Also, Star wars as games.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
erttheking said:
Urh said:
It's not just CoD that needs to die as a franchise, but rather the whole genre of spunkgargleweewee.
Really the only thing that needs to die is that term
Everytime someone copies Yahtzee's terminology a koala gets its spine torn out. I can hear them screaming.
Hahahahahah. Koala's suck, they're not even actual bears.
Spunkgargleweewee is a great term, just like Spectacle Fighter, Charismatic Stallion, Pants on head retarded, Feces Powered Airplane and the Putrescent Waters of Knowledge.

MasterBrief

Nov 14, 2012
Sonic Adventures 2 was good though I agree the remakes didn't change at all had both the Dreamcast and Gamecube versions and they were virtually the same.

Orbot_Vectorman

Cleaning trash since 1990
May 11, 2009
Why kill them? why not fuse them! Imagine Call of Sonic: Modern Hedgehog! Running at the speed of sound whilst shooting robots and freeing the cute little animals. It would be a grand game with little to no flaws, and the graphics would never look dated due to them being stylized.

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
I can hear the rumbling stampede of angry fanboys from this episode.

I must say, much of sonic is kind of on the downhill and needs to peter out......but I liked adventure 1&2.....

The problem with call of duty is that it has potential for being a great series to make a long run of because you can have a literal progression of technology to expand the game every time, but they just don't pull it off right. Then it all just falls back to point gun, kill dude in the same way it has been. Tricky to expand that in a realistic setting, lo the death of it is needed.

In the end....I would probably agree with Sonic. Both keep on being samey, but at least call of duty has more potential behind it. Breaking from those, I agree with the guy saying resident evil. When a game moves from survival horror to a shooter in a horror setting, it gets rather suspect.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I would so play Carl On Duty: Black Cops II.

But yeah, maybe it's just Sonic's time to go. Character's appeal is in the toilet, he just seems to be the default guinea pig for whatever twisted, unethical experiment Sega wants to perform, his personality is annoying, put him out to pasture for a few years.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I'm curious what Sonic is going to do next. Considering the game that made it "good" again was a greatest hits collection, where Sega finally got their thumbs out of their asses and just made a game without a secondary gimmick, and it was good. Or at least it seemed like it. There actually was a secondary gimmick: Classic Sonic.

The question now becomes if they can make an actual, genuine, honest-to-god modern Sonic game with just the version we saw in the day stages of Unleashed or modern stages of Generations without something else slapped on it to try and change purely for the sake of change. No treasure hunting levels, no fishing trips, no team mechanics, no retro throwbacks, no color powers, no werewolf transformations.

Sega, you have something here. Just one simple game is all I'm asking for. Sometimes simple is best. Because honestly, if they can't make that, maybe Sonic does deserve to die.

Also, as for my own choice, I second the God of War series. Even if they took it to fighting other gods, which they don't seem interested in doing, Kratos has just become so unlikable it wouldn't be as fun.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
Every time I hear someone cite the older Sonic games as the better ones, I can't help but to imagine what would've happened if Sega had taken the Nintendo path and just churned out 2D clones of the game over and over again. We'd probably hate it, but at least it would let us appreciate what the 3D Sonic games try to do. I mean, yes, their quality may be questionable, but they at least try to be different in terms of story each time.

What the franchise needs is better writers who respect the universe a little more. Shadow's game was below mediocre because it had interesting ideas but had shitty execution, terrible controls, and abysmal writing; basically lost potential at its finest. 06 was unfinished and is something no one wants to shut up about because it's the only game that everyone agrees sucks. Unleashed was a good game, just didn't have anything to write home about.

But it needs to die? Really? I guess the new games suck now that Sonic is no longer fighting robotic ladybugs that pop out little animals with heads so big their continued existince is impossible with a single predator lurking around.
I could at least agree that the locations from the older games were more varied, but the idea that the older games were superior? No, you just lost interest in the franchise.
[sub][sub]I could just be bitter that you said Adventure 2 sucks when it's the only game that made me give a shit about the plot of a Sonic game...[/sub][/sub]

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
The sad thing is, there's no reason Sonic had to become the joke he is now

Sonic Colors proves that the Blue Blur can be just as fantastic as ever, but Sonic Generations proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Sonic Team doesn't have a clue what makes a good Sonic game anymore.
Every once in a while they put out a game that's fun & full of potential, then they go right back to curb-stomping that renewed faith & hope it gave us for the franchise

(P.S.: I enjoyed Sonic Adventure 1, & SA2 had an awesome final boss at least)

Mischlings

Feb 18, 2011
I don't like either franchise mentioned here (I liked SA2 when I had it for the Gamecube, but haven't been back to it for years), so I wouldn't mind the death of either. However, never going to happen.

Thing that really caught my attention, though, was The Avengers and Cabin in the Woods being framed between the two of them on the shelf in the background. I'm hoping this is foreshadowing in some way, as where that might lead could be interesting...

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
i like how the only people to hate on newer Sonic games are people who haven't tried them. I actually really enjoyed Sonic Heroes and Sonic Colors. they still seem to be selling so somebody must like these games.

Most of the time the haters try to complain about the gameplay but they don't have enough to go from so they do what these guys do, mock the superficial elements. "Sonic's running from a truck, it's a bad game". Or "Sonic turned into a werehog, it's a bad game". While I hate those concepts just as much as the next guy, those concepts don't actually ruin the game at all.

The sonic games have always been average at best but it seems the older generation has a different idea as to what Sonic was in the 90's. Sonic The Hedgehog was never a great game, it was just a mildly fun game and most of Sonic's games are still fun. (not all though)

As for Call of Duty, i have nothing to say about that series. I'll agree that it isn't even a franchise at this point, there are multiple developers making multiple games all being labeled Call of Duty just to increase the sales of each game. it's tough to call it a series at all. I like shooters, i do, but i haven't liked a military shooter since the beginning of military shooters. It's over-saturation and it will naturally kill itself. No entertainment franchise can survive long on doing the same thing. (and some day the entire shooter genre will die out the same way platformers did)

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I actually really liked SA1+2. The main problem for me is that they've aged very, very poorly. I guess I need to go back and replay them to see if I actually like them.

But Sonic has seen some general improvement. Generations and Colors were supposed to be good. I personally didn't care for Generations, but I was never a big fan of the 2D sonic games either. CoD is a much bigger problem though. Not only are the games themself uninspired (though I do love me some zombie mode), but they're having a fairly large impact on other games. So many of the same type of game are being made because of it's success. So many other games are having gameplay impacted to be 'more like Call of Duty' by having things like multiplayer forced in. The multiplayer thing was a trend that Halo started, but didn't become forced on almost every game until CoD's multiplayer hit it big. And that's why I think CoD is the one that needs to die more. And this is coming from somebody who doesn't actually mind the games themselves.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
I would have agreed with sonic needing to die if it wasn't for Generations. they should improve on that, first by removing the god awful stories they force on people with terrible voice acting. if mario can survive for 25+ years with simply "save the princess" why can't sonic survive with "save the animals, defeat Robotnik/Eggman"?