No Right Answer: Videogame That Should Be A TV Show The Most

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Their new logo looks a lot like the Jimquistion's. Still better than the old one.

Revisit Best Disney Villain. Consider Frollo for an option!

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Mass Effect wouldn't work. Even if it was on HBO or Showtime, as we're seeing with Game of Thrones it's just too expensive to do anything of that scale on television to do it well. The problem with Bioshock is that, as we saw with Bioshock 2, there's not really another story to tell once you get to the end of the first one, and American television execs want a show that could (hypothetically) continue forever.

Metro 2033 would make an excellent television series.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Given Chris can't talk video games, if the top request is a video game one... is that an issue, or is the loop hole that he already talked about it?

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Kordie said:
The Fallout universe would be great for a TV show, especially on the heels of the Walking Dead. A gritty post-apocalyptic world that follows the population of a vault after it opens and tries to establish a city. You've got raiders, scavangers, traders, mercenaries, mutants, ghouls, and religious nuts all over the place! Damn you, now I want this to be a thing... Hurry up Wasteland 2, I needs me a fix.
As someone currently playing through Fallout 3 for the first time I second this. Every aspect of this idea has been done before, just not all at once. Just take the TV show Jericho, throw in some Walking Dead, add maybe a pinch of Revolution and boom you're there.

Though all three of those shows were kinda bad too.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Well, this will probably get hate in one way or another, but anyway...

I could see Mass Effect, or about any BioWare game, working as a TV show because the game play in them is so boring and bland while it is focused on story. So, that could work. I'd love to see a BioShock TV show, especially if they did the recordings of what happened in certain areas like the flashbacks in Lost of the characters before they were on the island. I thought they did that really well.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
I don't see Bioshock becoming a show or a movie unless they radically changed certain aspects of it. Did Chris and Kyle say that? I was reading a research article and listening to this at the same time :p

Bioshock: Infinte could be made into a solid TV show in a heartbeat. But the first one, eh... its such a videogame experience in that it can only work to its fullest potential in a videogame.

Mass Effect, yes. But I feel like what Chris said about studios knowing what to do with it could be a huge hazard. They might try and make it into something it isn't, or something it shouldn't be.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
I'd want Bioshock but!! I'd want it to be set in "utopian" Rapture, at its peak. And then have, like, 3 seasons and ending with the fall of Rapture. That I'd watch.

StraightToHeck

Booby booby bum bum.
Oct 13, 2010
on the subject of the current debate: I think Assassin's Creed would make a good TV show - 1 season per game

on the subject of the re-do: Best Disney Villain, but with Frollo

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Firefilm said:
First of all, Just want to say. Love the show's facelift.

Secondly you're both wrong.
Assassin's Creed.

Serialized adventure,
Overarching plot
Easy transition to episodic format
Any time period or setting you could ask for
Danger
Romance
Excitement
Evil corporations
Parkour
Technology
A guy with a British accent

It's Dr. Fucking Who with knives!

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
My vote goes out to "Best U.S. President Ever" and then with opposite sides. I think stressing the fact that Abraham Lincoln had fairly ambiguous views about white supremacy is an important consideration. There's also the point that the civil war just kind of happened because of social attitudes, not because he actively chose to fight it. But more importantly, how was George Washington not in that debate?! That guy basically had to organize the formation of an entire new country from scratch.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Firefilm said:
coheedswicked said:
Why can't Chris talk about video games?

As far as episode to be revisited... "This generations 'Star Wars'" Maybe throw in the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe phenomenon now that we know how well Avenger's worked and more of their future plans with it.
Chris can't talk about video games due to his recent job at Nintendo. They have instructed him that since he works for a videogame company, he could be seen as a face of their company. Thus, his opinions can't be willy nilly out there without their review, and it's just easier to tell him no talkie about video gamie on internetie.
That sucks, I can understand them not wanting him to badmouth their companies ones, but can't talk about them full stop. Kinda lame...

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I would argue Deus Ex would have made for a better opponent for "this or Mass Effect for a TV show", but that's just me.

As for re-do episode, just do more episodes with the deck of "Who Would Win" cards. There's your re-do, keep doing more of those.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
Mass Effect could make a very good TV show, but in order for it to work it'd have to not be centred around Shepard (Due to the personal choice part of the game, everyone's Shepard is different) though it could still mention Shepard (If set at the same time/after the games)

Bioshock... I don't know... Whilst it would be interesting (Not nearly enough Steampunk TV shows...) it kind of fits more as a game (Unless they did something like have each series based around a different character's point of view as they discover a mystery related to them/other characters)

Fallout could work as a TV show, there's been plenty of similar post-apocalyptic TV shows (Which often were pretty good) having the various factions (Different Vaults, Brotherhood of Steel etc)it could also have an overarching plot about the cause of the apocalypse that gets found out via scavenging/trading information about it.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
geier said:
I'm for Fallout, the whole Fallout universe, not only FO3 (and please never FONV).
But only, when the Ghouls have no major role. We have enough Zomies in the media already.

But when forced to choose between what is given, i would take Bioshock.
you're wording makes very little sense...you say the whole universe....not only 3 and then say never to the idea of New Vegas it sounds rather contradictory....please elaborate...what would be so bad about a game set in the Mojave or one with a Ghoul as a character.

OlasDAlmighty said:
Kordie said:
The Fallout universe would be great for a TV show, especially on the heels of the Walking Dead. A gritty post-apocalyptic world that follows the population of a vault after it opens and tries to establish a city. You've got raiders, scavangers, traders, mercenaries, mutants, ghouls, and religious nuts all over the place! Damn you, now I want this to be a thing... Hurry up Wasteland 2, I needs me a fix.
As someone currently playing through Fallout 3 for the first time I second this. Every aspect of this idea has been done before, just not all at once. Just take the TV show Jericho, throw in some Walking Dead, add maybe a pinch of Revolution and boom you're there.

Though all three of those shows were kinda bad too.
yeah show set in the Fallout universe would be amazing with all the previously established history and everything I see no end to the potential...I think it could and should be done...Set it up as taking place before as a lead into or after one of the games....to give a sense of the time the characters could touch but not at length dwell on the stories of the games.

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
Batman Arkham...I mean, they made a show about Superboy and that shit went on for 10 years, so why not Batman?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Assassin's Creed would work better as a TV show because it has more cross-media experience already, with graphic novels and the movies set just before ACII and after Revelations. I don't think Mass Effect or Bioshock would work because a huge part of their stories comes from the player's decisions.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Mass Effect might work because there's way too much to contain into a movie and it would allow you to see some of the minor events that happen rather than just the big story related missions. So yeah, ME wouldn't make a bad show.

Bioshock lacks a strong lead character. It might make a decent artsy movie, but due to having a silent protagonist, TV show would be kind of difficult. Bioshock Infinite on the other hand, has a well developed lead character(That would be Elizabeth, it's really her story more than Booker's) some pretty intriguing supporting characters, a great story and action that would be an outright joy to watch, if not a little difficult to make look right in a live action show/movie. Have I mentioned I REALLY like Bioshock Infinite? Seriously, it's taking the top spot from a combined force of the original Bioshock and Shadow of the Colossus.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
I'd like to think Mass Effect would work as a TV show, different but not too much and is practically done in episodes anyway with a diverse range of characters. The only problem as mentioned before is the issue of Paragon/Renegade, but I wouldn't mind having the team decide what he did too much.
As for Bioshock...... yeah no. Not enough real character interaction and Jack's so much of a blank slate. Plus the loss of the message on gamers would be a bit of a downer. And the fact as they mentioned it might be just too different from what people expect. However a series set in the Bioshock universe could work a lot better, especially if they set it in "pre-raptured Rapture", I like the idea of being shown what happens in Raptures Prime.