No Right Answer: Videogame That Should Be A TV Show The Most

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Out of curiosity, does anyone remember the last time the drinking round won someone the match? For I do not, and I am curious. I think they've gotten too good at holding it in while drinking!

Notsomuch

Apr 22, 2009
No. Let's keep it real. Bioshock would be on HBO and Mass effect would be some awful fox one off. I'm sure executives would know what to do with mass effect, they'd know how to advertise and merchandise it into the ground. Make a show about Andrew Ryan building Rapture from the ground up and the people who helped him build it and the people who eventually tore it down to what it was at the beginning of the game and I'll show you the biggest thing since whatever the hell you can't get away from at work since nobody can stop talking about it. You don't have to know a single thing about Bioshock to be compelled by it's story because it's simple and it plants human characters in an environment that has the potential to bring out the best and worst in them. Bioshock is a steam-punk sandbox of human emotion under miles of ocean and Mass Effect is 'Star-Trek Re-skinned: Spoiler, Shepard is Jesus'.

Captcha: You're Welcome

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I laughed at the DS9 rant near the start. "We did that." "We did that too." "Did you even watch DS9?"

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Mass Effect would easily fall into the "militant star-trek" style that was cleverly pointed out with DS9. So that's a no-brainer. It might actually be scrutinized for being unoriginal. The problem with Bioshock is that between props, makeups, and FX shots, it'd likely run into the same hurdle it hit in the film market - budget. It would be one expensive show to make and not look terrible. But if the budget was floated and it did succeed, Infinite would make a great spinoff series.

N00bits

Sep 11, 2008
I would love for you guys to revisit 'this generation's Star Wars' especially post: Avengers.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
I would love to see an HBO Halo series. Forward Unto Dawn while not perfect (still pretty good), proved a show in the series can work and would love to see an expansion of the concept.

JSF01

Jan 19, 2011
My vote for show to redo, this one. While I agree with Mass Effect being a good television show, Bioshock on the other hand would not make a good TV series, without a lot of changes. In fact I do not believe that it should have even qualified for this debate based on your number 2 qualification you set in the beginning. It does not really have a strong base of characters that demand a show. There are really only 3 strong characters in the game, but they only work as very important side characters. While those characters might be great they are really not enough for a TV series. I cant think of one TV show where there is only a single main character. So either they would have to make up some new characters or change one of those three to become a main character.

Don't get me wrong, I think the world of Bioshock has the potential to make a great TV series. It is just that TV series would have to be quite different than the game character wise.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
To me, Bioshock would lend itself to being more of a movie (if we're talking strictly translating the games - story and all - to a tv show). Really they'd have to monkey around with the format and story too much to make it fit a TV series. With the exception of Infinite, the main character is often just running around by themselves, shootin' up splicers and looking for audio recordings. Really the only way they could turn it into a series would be to set it just before the shit goes down in Rapture. Show the build-up to the revolt and finally the revolt itself. You couldn't really go directly from the game's story if you're trying to make a Bioshock TV series.

We know that the story is essentially the same no matter where you place it in the Bioshock...ahem..."universes". "Constants and Variables, there's always a man, a girl, and a city." And it always ends up horribly. The problem with that as a major theme is that it means that at it's core, the plot will always be the same. This actually leads me to wonder if they'll ever make another Bioshock...the ending to Infinite was pretty damn heavy. But that's another discussion for another topic. The point is that to keep to the theme as set by Infinite's ending, even if they tried an original story like "A city built in the depths of an active volcano" or something, we'd all already know what was going to happen: guy that runs the city is going to go mad with power and eventually cause a revolution against himself.

ME on the other hand could be made into a movie or a TV series. Each major mission could lend itself to an episode or two. But beyond that, since the universe of ME is so expansive, they could go completely off the rails with an original story just set in the ME universe and it would be 100% doable. They've got different races, worlds, political and economic relations between species, etc. There's so much rich material to draw from, you could do pretty much anything you wanted with it and it would still likely pull in high ratings.

Riggsby101

Jul 23, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
The Walking Dead maybe? :p
I can't really see Bioshock going for more than a single season unless they do the two points of view like Chris said. Mass Effect? Six seasons and a movie! I don't think they should try the Paragon/Renegade angle unless it's pay-per-view, so that people can chose which one they want. Wouldn't really make sense to have two separate Sheperds just for the moral choices because that subtracts from the depth of the character. A big part of the appeal of Mass Effect was that you could build both Paragon AND Renegade meters at the same time (albeit not fully), And it was fun in ME2 getting different prompts based on the context of the scene.

Ironically enough I don't think you're too far off the mark saying The Walking Dead. I think the best way for them to portray Shepard on TV would be the same way Rick Grimes is, i.e. Does the "Renegade" actions, but for "Paragon" reasons.

Number-14

Dec 13, 2010
Seeing the tittle and the choices, I knew Mass Effect would win even though I don't know much about the game and didn't play it actually. It seemed most fit to be adapted into tv series.

I LOVE Bioshock and I think it would appropriate to be adapted into a movie rather than tv series.

Oct 22, 2011
Azuaron said:
Metro 2033 would make an excellent television series.
If you're talking about the book, i agree.

And i also concur the idea of turning Fallout series into TV series. Nuka Break has shown that this can work, and with larger budget we could receive something great.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Pedro_chileno said:
I like the new look

Agree with Mass affect wining "Videogame That Should Be A TV Show The Most"

and my favorite episode is the "worst video game movie adaptation", but
switch roles in Craziest Person in Hollywood Ever pls.
Only one thing is missing for me...

The drinks >.>...

Could we mix it up? I can basically only drink water because of Health problems and I like to live vicariously through others.

JUICES, SODAS, MIX IT UP!

Does the Escapist have a rule against hard drinks?

I just enjoyed watching the difficulty with which you guys drank Jones Soda in no time flat.

Given how rarely you make episodes I don't think it would cause health problems.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Really feels like the hit the nail on the head with this debate, I agreed completely.

As for what to redo...best Disney Villains...

Frollo vs Maleficent (oh I know who'd win in a fight...the debate is who's a better villain...)

Saibh

Jul 15, 2010
I think Mass Effect would obviously make for a better TV show because there's almost no direct plot in Bioshock, as much as I love that game. Most of it is extremely straightforward...except getting interrupted every level with a fetch quest, which only *barely* works in a video game. Bioshock starts with you being told to head to this one facility...then the facility gets blown up...then you have to go kill Ryan...then you find out that it was Fontaine all along! then you kill Fontaine. That is actually the entire plot. I didn't cut anything out that wasn't a fetch quest. Bioshock's true story happens almost exclusively in its video logs.

Maybe Red Dead Redemption would be a better competitor.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
My choice for video game TV show would be an inFamous show. It would fit in with a bunch of modern crazes like "gritty" superhero serials, paranormal/supernatural shows, and intrigue filled thrillers (a la Lost). It wouldn't be that hard to rework the plot into an episodic format. Hell, each mission could be stretched out into a single episode with some good writing.

And seriously, tell me you can't see the ending to InFamous as a television season finale cliffhanger.

Also, was I the only one completely mesmerized by the kitten bobble head?

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
I'm going to suggest Psychonauts.

So many characters that could be expanded on... There's an entire WORLD of noodle incidents waiting to happen!