No Right Answer: Wood vs. Yellow

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Wood vs. Yellow

Chris and Kyle have a battle of wills on which weakness is more plausible for Green Lantern: Wood or the Color Yellow.

Watch Video

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Topic was decent.

A better topic would have been... Supergirl or Power girl, Who'd ya rather?

MrMoustaffa

Oct 3, 2010
This looks like it has potential to be a hilarious show. Waiting for the inevitable "star wars vs Star trek" debate

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
I can see this going places, will be waiting for next week's!

But I hope there isn't much overlap between it and Bob's Big Picture. I can only take so much observational humor regarding COMICS ARE WEIRD before it gets stale.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
What did I just watch o_O

I cracked up at the WOOD EVERYWHERE comment

I shall wait for more sirs.

se7ensenses

Jun 10, 2009
Cool new idea for a show. The topics could be limitless! I'm curious as to what your fortunes were under the caps of your delicious Jones sodas?

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
Alan Scott's ring doesn't do wood? That makes as much sense as failing around hairdryers. The weakness to yellow is clearly more logical.

So the premise of this show is two nerds arguing about geek culture? Yeah, I'd watch that every week.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
Not bad, not bad at all. Not excellent, either, but definitely not bad. I enjoyed this, and am interested to see where they go with this concept. Looking forward to next time.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Now THAT is an insightful comment. None of this "Hey, did you know that video game movie tie-ins are usually awful?."

Instead you pointed out a quite plausible solution to the problem while citing a great example that relates to the solution. Take heed, wannabe game journalists/commentators.

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
I've got no idea where these new shows come from, but this one certainly has the potential to be hilarious. Very interested to see what other topics you will discuss.

bootz

Feb 28, 2011
I liked this show. I like debates. Good points on both sides. I think that I will get a pencil if I ran into the green latern

I wish I could borrow tinkerbell ds game in the background.:p

JackJL

Jun 18, 2011
These guys have a podcast that occasionaly updates as well, Armchair thinkers. Good for just listening to guys chat about comics, games or whatever. http://ideopod.com/armchair-thinkers/

Yojoo said:
I can see this going places, will be waiting for next week's!

But I hope there isn't much overlap between it and Bob's Big Picture. I can only take so much observational humor regarding COMICS ARE WEIRD before it gets stale.
I started listening to their podcast when Moviebob was a guest a while back, so yeah crossover already happened (twice I think). The extra credits team have also guested on there.

The format of the show is pretty cool, lots of room for hilarity. Look forward to seeing more.

demoncub1990

Apr 16, 2011
'i have wood everywhere' lol nice i'll defiantely tune into this it's inventive and original keep it up guys

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
This was enjoyable! Not many shows on here get me to watch the first episode all the way through. Good job guys!

May 5, 2010
I like it. It's like if Moviebob cloned and then argued with himself....Except you guys are less obnoxious.

Also, I giggled like a child at "I have wood everywhere!"

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
I like this concept, and those guys are funny. Actually both wood and yellow are bad weaknesses. They do it better in recent comics and the movie by saying it's the yellow power of fear, as personified by Parallax. However the movie goes on to ruin it by making Parallax a giant turd surrounded by a pee cloud, but that's irrelevant. I want to see more of this show.

I just have one major reservation. Was the product placement done ironically, or is this the latest money-raising idea for The Escapist?

If it's the latter, then it's really bad indeed. Even paying for the Publisher's Club won't get you out of seeing ads, which is liable to discourage subscriptions.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Uhm, well it's one of the better new things to come out in a while (discounting stuff from the LRR crew). I can see it going places, so lets hope it doesn't fade into obscurity 3 weeks in. Looking at you Creature Caster Masters!

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but it was rather entertaining. I'll definitely give it another go next week.

As for what I was expecting, I was thinking it might be more of a random question to people on the street thing. I could definitely see humour in going up to a random person and asking which is better Yellow or Wood. Though I suppose that would be more of a one off thing than a recurring show idea. heh

Spygon

May 16, 2009
i wasnt sure but as it got going i started to really enjoy it.Nice idea with a little bit of polish it could be really good

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
I never understood the weakness of yellow I mean to make green you need yellow. so he is made of his own weakness.
not bad for a first episode.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Hitman Dread said:
First I have to say
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5-JVvCrGC8

Wow that was great hahaha. I laughed so hard at I have wood! I have wood everywhere! Great idea for a show and I'm looking forward to seeing it continue.

Also go ahead and plug Jones soda. It's okay to plug amazing products.
That only raises the question, why didn't he go ape shit after he revealed the gun was wood?

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Uhm... I'd like to make a point here, you both seem to be arguing entirely different points, (for the most part) with the guy advocating wood saying that it's a more desirable weakness to have if you had to choose, and the guy advocating yellow saying it's a more logical thing for that power in particular to be weak to, you're both right and thus most of the discussion is rendered rather moot... mildly entertaining but still moot.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Good show. The only thing I would say is to either look at the camera 100% of the time or completely ignore it, preferably the later. Also, Woodman vs Green Lantern would be pretty epic.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
leviadragon99 said:
Uhm... I'd like to make a point here, you both seem to be arguing entirely different points, (for the most part) with the guy advocating wood saying that it's a more desirable weakness to have if you had to choose, and the guy advocating yellow saying it's a more logical thing for that power in particular to be weak to, you're both right and thus most of the discussion is rendered rather moot... mildly entertaining but still moot.
That's why there's "No Right Answer".

I'm also curious whether you had Jones Soda because you really like it, or if they're a sponsor. If they are a sponsor, then that's really cool, but it would be nice to know.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
*first thought* Oh, great. 2 more videos to push Zero Punctuation off the front page center.
*second thought after watching* Well, at least this is better than Feed Dump. I guess there will be "Thinking Thursdays" on the Escapist with this show and Extra Credits.

Lonely Swordsman

Jun 29, 2009
The wood weakness makes more sense than the yellow weakness, to me anyway. Alan Scott's ring was made by a wizard in ancient times, the wood weakness was a deliberate failsafe to stop the owner of the ring from abusing his power. Anybody with a wooden club could take him down. It's simple and pragmatic and it makes sense.

The yellow weakness is supposed to be psychological since yellow is the color of fear, but the psychological of colors is cultural, so it's not gonna work for every culture (for example the meaning of black and white as colors of death and purity respectively is reversed in most Asian cultures) and the modern GL corps is made up of all kinds of alien races, presumably all with entirely different psychological perception of colors due to everyone's unique heritage.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Hm, no real quarrels with the new series, but it reminds me of a show we had going a few months back. It was the same idea, just a versus of two ideas, and it got like five episodes.

IMO, I don't see this one lasting too long.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I don't even care about comics and even I am angry that people keep acting as if the color yellow made the Green Lantern weak. It's not kryptonite, their powers just don't work on it. If you tried to stand up to Hal Jordan in your Kill Bill costume or your Bananas in Pajamas cosplay, he would just beat the crap out of you on account of being a fighter pilot, and therefore not only on excellent physical condition but also a trained and high-ranked member of the Air Force. In fact, considering for how long Hal was the Green, I'd say it's statistically certain he did it at one point (silver age = anything you can think of happened, statistically).

Great video, though.

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
I liked it, sorta the banter I have in bars with fellow geeks...only I'm always drunk so I can never remember them...

All I can say is bump up the image quality of the cut-aways and I'd actually pay for this nonsense...

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
Ooooh definitely going to watch more. I like you guys, I like the theme of the show, the slightly amateur delivery when delivering from a script (or maybe it's just the pressure of being on camera if it's completely unscripted) is my only complaint, and it didn't remove too greatly from the show. I was still thoroughly entertained, a little enlightened and it had me thinking after the video ended, which is something not many light-hearted amusing shows can do. As confidence and familiarity with the format grows, I see great promise for a long run from this show.

Although, I'd argue burnt wood is no longer wood due to redox reactions that take place through combustion. He'd only be at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, maybe cancer if he ate the remains. Yellow would be much more difficult to constantly avoid. I always saw his aversion to yellow as an amusing rivalry between two opposing primary colours.

PowerC

Feb 28, 2011
misterprickly said:
Topic was decent.

Im not a fan of the color white, good one

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
That was pretty good to be honest. Entertaining, right for the internet and different enough from Extra Credits, Zero Punctuation and the Big Picture. Looking forward to even more absurd things to debate.

And in this case, Yellow is better without a doubt, but it's more that both really suck as a weakness

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
While not bad it seemed as if it lacked some polish but by all means please post more :)

danirax

Jan 11, 2011
wood - cant fight in forests
yellow - his nemesis is yellow how can he fight him then? 0.0
lol to beat his weakness wood he should carry a bucket of termites......

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
In short using realistic justifications for entirely fictional concepts is stupid.

If yellow is his weakness, then he'd be a vampire as the sun looks yellowy. There's also alot of yellowness in the world.

If wood is his weakness, then it's stupid.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Wasn't there a show in the film festival with this exact premise? Arguing about Rome or something? I liked that one much better.
Not that great of a topic, and you didn't really counter each other's points. You just presented your point completely ignoring the other one, and when an argument ensued you just repeated the same points louder. There's a noticeable discomfort in front of a camera, but that will soon go away.
There's promise here and I'm gonna keep watching, but there's a need of polish. I'm just trying to help.

Taynas

May 20, 2010
I enjoyed this show quite a bit. This is a good concept for a show and if you keep find interesting topics, I think it will do well. I know I'll be sure to watch every week from now on.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Maybe it's the wine talking, but this was an awesome show. The Escapist is really reaching dangerous levels of epicness now.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
GREEN. APPLE. JONES. SODA?! I LOVE THAT STUFF! gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme!

But you have to admit saying that something is evil doesn't make it dangerous. I mean you can't puch somebody with a swastika and they just burn into flames.

Evil is just an idea, not a pyschical manisfestation.

Ris

Mar 31, 2011
This is a considerably better effort than Drinking Games. Both guys are really likeable, and despite knowing little about the subject I still got a few laughs out of the episode. It's a cool concept, I'd watch it again :)

Angelus SnV

Nov 19, 2009
My nerd-card was really showin' durin' this vid...because i kept havin' to fight the urge to say "It's not the COLOR he's weak against...it's a type of ENERGY that just happens to BE THAT COLOR"! (then i remember that i could be wrong on this since i've only been readin' comics for a short time, and GL is not my focus in such matters...so i could be wrong)...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"Ever made a grenade out of bamboo?!"

That had me chuckling for quite some time. Anyway, I declare both his weakness grade-A retarded.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
The winner should not be decided by a chugging contest it should be decided by votes.

I await their eventual "who would win in a fight" debates although I also hope they don't do nothing but those.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
dex-dex said:
I never understood the weakness of yellow I mean to make green you need yellow. so he is made of his own weakness.
The "yellow impurity" is caused by an entity named Parallax, the embodyment of fear, that is entrapped within the Green Lantern Corps' central power battery. The colors don't really relate to the physical spectrum of light.
Plus, Lanterns can overcome the weakness for quite some time now. Really only works as a joke with rookies nowadays.

Alan Scott on the other hand still sucks against wood and it is never properly explained why.

misterprickly said:
Topic was decent.

Obviously Power Girl. At least she never did her horse. Also, who the hell thinks it's a good idea to fly with a miniskirt?

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
Good concept, but seems a bit rough round the edges. There was actually a show in the escapist film festival that had a similar premise (although with the weirder angle of arguing Dragon age Vs. The Iron age). The decided via chugging was a bit rubbish though...

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
This debate kind of ended when the Paralax error was removed from the main green lantern battery, and Hal lost his weakness to yellow. Alan still has his weakness, and exploding wooden crates will put him in a world of hurt.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Okay, I actually rather like this. Basically it makes me think of every argument I ever had with my college roommate.
I will continue watching.
GO BLACKHAWKS!!

Quaxar said:
misterprickly said:
Topic was decent.

Obviously Power Girl. At least she never did her horse. Also, who the hell thinks it's a good idea to fly with a miniskirt?
If the flyer in question looks like Supergirl I think it's an awesome idea.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
This is, IMHO, bad for two reasons. One, this show is bad. It could change in the future, but the gentlemen do not have much stage presence yet. Video editing will also hopefully improve. The problem with today's argument is that the color yellow and wood are both simply lame weaknesses. Who cares? A better question would be as follows. Stupider weakness for Green Lantern: the color yellow or a really bad peanut allergy. Seriously, who wouldn't read the "George Washington Carver KILLS Green Lantern" issue?

Second reason this show is bad: we are running very low on charismatic ladies on the Escapist and most of the recent boisterous hires have been dudes. We're not out of them yet: Kathleen from LRR is still awesome, but we've lost Lisa! The young lady from Tales from the Table is not bad, but the girls from PGG need a cocaine addiction or something. Hire a woman! On that note I also would not complain if she had a huge rack. She doesn't have to be rail-thin, but huge rack. Just sayin'.

Seriously fellas, there's got to be an up-and-coming leading lady on the gaming journalism and comedy scene somewhere to exploit/pay lotsa moneys to, right?

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
It seems everyone enjoyed this so I'll pull my punches on this show...

It seemed to me to be a pointless argument on a pointless topic by two people who didn't feel comfortable being on camera. Couldn't bring myself to watch it all the way through...

Guess this one is just not for me.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
I enjoy this, and will watch more of it. :) great job talking about things that have little value and yet are so dang debatable in our geekdom communities!

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
That was wonderful. It's always nice to see it put in perspective how utterly retarded most nerd arguments are.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
dex-dex said:
If you have secondary colors like with pigments. Primary colors, like the those we perceive in light come in the flavors of green, red, and blue and secondary colors like those in ink come in the flavors of yellow, cyan, and magenta. Since Lanterns project light or some light like thing they use primary colors thus green is not made of yellow, yellow is made with green. His weakness is made of him. Trippy. [/nit-picking for no reason]

The show looks interesting. I'll have to see what future debates are and how the comedy goes to see if I am actually going to watch it regularly though.

Sep 30, 2010
Lemme tell ya a story boys and girls. I just sat down in front of my computer and noticed that the escapist had 2 new shows, so I figured i'd give both a shot. So i started watching Drinking Games and it was, in my opinion, very poor. After that my optimism bar was slowly draining as i clicked the link to this show. I began to watch and realized that this is...quite good actually! I really liked this and hoped to see more in the future. Very strong first episode, I hope it continues to be this good or even better.

HydraMoon

From high atop the treehouse
May 3, 2011
That was really great. It's like the nerd arguments but without having to go to the bar and dealing with all that hassle- we get the best bits in a show. Nice!

Looking forward to next week's episode.

Reptiloid

Nov 10, 2010
Wow, people actually think this is funny? Uh, alright, best of luck to the creators, I guess.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
dex-dex said:
You're referring to colour subtraction, not addition.
If you're adding colours, Red + Green = Yellow

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
Yeah I have to admit the weakness to yellow makes more sense. Especially since his entire persona is based around a color anyway.

Plus in the context of the comics, if I remember correctly, yellow = Sinestro Corps = fear.
green = courage. fear is opposite of courage. Shit fits together

Wulfclaw

Dec 20, 2009
Finally! A new show that I really like. Lately I find myself tuning in to Feed Dump, LRR, Unskippable, MovieBob and ZP + Critical Miss (and Stolen Pixels if it is updated ^^). The rest seems very subpar and or annoying.

I am looking forward to the next episode!

Edit: And as bob already pointed out, yellow is no longer a weakness. It WAS a weakness because the guardians put the embodiement of fear in the power battery for the green lantern rings. I guess there was no other way to contain it safely.

I think, the biggest problem with the plan was, that the guardians kept to themselves about it.

Birthe

Apr 26, 2010
Actually I'd love to see green lantern fight against wood... but somehow this is a weakness that would seem to make too much sense, I mean most people would be defeated by a tree falling on them or so.. it seems too normal.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
FLAMETHROWER!!!!1
That was pretty fun to watch. Gonna be intresting to see what topics come up in the future. ;)

Zaverexus

Jul 5, 2010
This was decent... right up until the product placement and idiotic method of reaching conclusion.
I mean really?

Avistew

Jun 2, 2011
When he said "yellow is the colour of sickness" I thought "what? No! GREEN is the colour of sickness. And Yet they picked it for the hero! Yellow is the colour of the sand and the Sun. Obviously it's a good colour!"

I think the conclusion of the video is:

- yellow makes more sense as a weakness because it stays on theme (green vs yellow, they're both colours).
- wood would be a less problematic weakness to work around (okay, the flamethrower thing wasn't so great, but he could have an axe instead, plus it's easier to find one. Wood's not such a solid material, you can break it relatively easily).

It's an interesting concept at any rate, I'll probably watch it again, although maybe not every week.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Yeah it was alright.
Maybe less product placement, I think it was just a joke but still... why?

Like the idea of incorporating challenges when logic fails. Chugging bests reason.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
It looks like an interesting show but I don't really understand what just happened. It's my understanding that one guy was supposed to be arguing for Wood while the other was supposed to be arguing for Yellow, but the argument ended up being like this:
Guy 1: "Wood is a bad weakness"
Guy 2: "Yellow is a good weakness"

And then later on, it went like this:
Guy 1: "Here are some reasons why yellow is a bad weakness"
Guy 2: "Here are some reasons why yellow is a good weakness"

*racks brain*

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Decent show, I'll keep watching for now, as long as it doesn't just do comic stuff, I'm getting burned out on the Green Lantern stuff right now.

But you know what always bugged me about yellow as a weakness for the GLs? Green pigment is made with Yellow and Yellow light is made with Green. They are very close on either color wheel, if anything Green and Magenta should be enemies since that's the opposit color of light and it is light they are using.

Daniel Floyd

Jul 28, 2010
I had dinner with these fine gentlemen at LOGIN. It is an experience I wholeheartedly recommend.

Excellent first showing fellas. :)

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
I would have liked this much better if you were... actually debating the plausibility, rather than which one would be a better weakness. You say plausibility, I want plausibility!

Anyway, it is a close case.

Yellow is actually explained as why it is his weakness in the comic (not sure about wood).

The sonic screwdriver's weakness is also wood.

'nuff said.

Bomberman4000

Jun 23, 2010
Damn it, this is exactly the type of show I've been trying to get my brother to film with me for months.

I liked it, found it entertaining, and like most people I cracked up at the "I have wood everywhere" line.

Can this somehow replace Jimquisition? No? Damn, ok.

Good job on this show though. Me gusta.

retterkl

Oct 27, 2008
I reckon, since it is Green but it's also a light based power, that black should be ultimatly the weakness, because it's the absense of light.

Just sayin'

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
sunburst313 said:
Alan Scott's ring doesn't do wood? That makes as much sense as failing around hairdryers. The weakness to yellow is clearly more logical.

So the premise of this show is two nerds arguing about geek culture? Yeah, I'd watch that every week.
A weakness to a COLOR is more logical? I know Green Lantern has a following but I have always thought it was ridiculous.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Of course yellow is his greater weakness. Give Green Lantern Yellow and a Game Boy, and you'll keep him distracted for three hours at least.