No Right Answer: Worst Comic Book Death Ever

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Worst Comic Book Death Ever

Moviebob tries to scoop us this week by talking about Knightfall, but we one-up him by bringing in death of Superman. Which comic book death holds the title of worst?

Watch Video

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
Why are you ignoring me Chris and Kyle! I just want to be your friend.
Also I like the way you guys confuse me about comic book stories.

citrusfr00t

Apr 29, 2010
I think all comic book deaths are lame, because of the fact that they always come back, it just gets redundant after awhile...

except for the Ultimate Universe, where spiderman actually died and it was flippen awesome.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
isn't the worst death kinda aunt may since that kicked off one more day?
yeah and the death of captain america in civil war was stupid.

TheFederation

Mar 29, 2011
death of peter parker and mary-janes marriage?
not an actual death, but i'll use any excuse to bash one more day

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Only thing I could think about during this debate was that Marvel needs a Blackest Night type thing to happen.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
TheFederation said:
death of peter parker and mary-janes marriage?
not an actual death, but i'll use any excuse to bash one more day
I think for a lot of people the character of spiderman died that day.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
esperandote said:
I think superman was deader than batman because batman was at least conscious
That was kind of their point. Batman wasn't really 'dead' at all, making it a worse comic-book death then superman, who was kinda-sorta-not-really dead.

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
Why does batman win? Because the Batman always wins, even at losing.

I really have no otherwise input of "deaths" of the comic book universe.

K84

Feb 15, 2010
Jean Grey should win this one.
She actually dies everytime, drama follows, and comes back.
And don't tell me Hope Summers is not in some way a reincarnation of Jean Grey...
But her deaths are just gimmicks.

Webb Myers

May 17, 2010
Batman's "death" was a long, drawn-out affair where both the man and the idea of batman were slowly destroyed...before being slowly rebuilt.

Superman's "death" was an excuse to issue a lot of press releases and introduce a few new, minor characters. There's no buildup, just a convenient plot device (Doomsday) that shows up to get him out of the way until...poof, he's all better after the new Superman that no one liked sacrifices himself.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Christ fellas if you're gonna discuss The Death of Superman how can you do that without bringing up this video from the director of Chronicle going on one hell of an enjoyable rant about Superman killing death?

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Spider-man's "One More Day" killed the character for me. It's the only event where the very CORE of the character (great power, great responsibility) was butchered so painfully and miserably.

But, um, guys... Batman was JUST "killed" a year or so ago. Dick Grayson took over as Batman (and he was awesome at it), but Batman himself was catapulting through a thousand lives from the dawn of time or something to be reborn and reincarnated into a new form in modern day... or some crap like that. Seriously, Grant Morrison is like Alan Moore's level of crazy, only without the misogyny.

My personal worst comic book death was actually Azrael. Despite his low points in "Knightfall", Azrael was an awesome character who had an awesome series (for the first 50 issues), but it ended with him "dying", but no body was found. They teased his return for years and years... only for them to give him a throwaway death confirmation in Blackest Night.

Grr.....

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
But....if the reason that Chris won was cos Batman didn't really die....well doesn't that make it the worst death? As in it's bad because it's not impactful at all?

Oh i don't know, i kept loosing track of which of the guys was arguing for or against in this one!

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
mcnally86 said:
Why are you ignoring me Chris and Kyle! I just want to be your friend.
Also I like the way you guys confuse me about comic book stories.
How are they ignoring you? Did you ask to be friends on Facebook or something? I'll go beat them up if you explain your reasoning. Heck, I'll beat them up anyways.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Xanthious said:
Christ fellas if you're gonna discuss The Death of Superman how can you do that without bringing up this video from the director of Chronicle going on one hell of an enjoyable rant about Superman killing death?

That video makes me happy

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
post="6.384448.15258048"]Knightfall: Why are there so many "Supervillains"?
Why are there so many "Supervillains"?
The brochure said there'd only be a few "Supervillains"
This is a terrible Death of a Superhero

Death of Superman: Same as above, just replace 'Supervillains' with 'camera angles'

HOWEVER! Worst death ret-con goes to Captain America.[/quote]

Yay for family guy reference!